Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Rereads?



Rereads love them or hate them??



With the TBR pile ever growing in my house, from time to time I still find myself gravitating back to the books and series that I love.

When I'm stressed, tired, or have had a bad day when I come home and I want to settle down with my book I am more likely to go for one that I have already read.








It doesn't matter how many times I may have read the particular story, I still find myself falling in love with them all over again they don't loose their allure its like sitting down for a chat with good friends, it requires little effort and despite yourself you still find yourself having fun.

So what are the books that I will return to time and again?

Julie Garwoods The Secret and Ransom

The Harry Potter series by J K Rowling

The Highlander Series by Karen Marie Moning

Monings Fever series although I have a sneaky suspicion that I go back to this more for trying to figure out whats in store in the final story Shadowfever!!

J.R. Wards Balck Dagger Brotherhood

Most Nora Roberts books

And an Irish Author Marian Keyes her books never fail to make me laugh out loud (so I have to read them in the confines of the house due to the funny looks I get otherwise) even though they deal with serious issues






How did it end up like this? Twenty-seven, unemployed, mistaken for a drug addict, in a treatment centre in the back arse of nowhere with an empty Valium bottle in my knickers . . .’
Meet Rachel Walsh. She has a pair of size 8 feet and such a fondness for recreational drugs that her family has forked out the cash for a spell in Cloisters – Dublin’s answer to the Betty Ford Clinic. She’s only agreed to her incarceration because she’s heard that rehab is wall-to-wall jacuzzis, gymnasiums and rock stars going tepid turkey – and it’s about time she had a holiday.


But what Rachel doesn’t count on are the toe-curling embarrassments heaped on her by family and group therapy, the dearth of sex, drugs and rock’n’roll – and missing Luke, her ex. What kind of a new
start in life is this?



By picking up any of these books depending on the mood I am in at the time I am transported back to a happier time a bit like a smell can evoke happy memories in some people.

So how about you? Do you like to reread series that you loved or do you constantly crave the new and unknown?

9 comments:

Sullivan McPig said...

I love rereading! Especially when a book is well written it's such a pleasure to be able to read it and just enjoy the flow of the text and story without having to worry about what will happen next.

Some people do not understand why you would reread a book, but I always tell them: if you really love a (music) cd, you don't listen to it once and then throw it out, do you? For me it's the same with a beautiful book.

Estella said...

I never intentionally re read a book.
There are too many new ones out there.

Ashley L said...

I reread a lot. Most of the time it's because a new story in the series is coming out, so I want to read the whole series again. Other times it's just because I loved the book so much I want to read it again. And still other times are because I forgot that I've read it until I reach a part in the story that triggers my memory.

It's soothing sometimes to pick up a book I've read before and return for a nice visit; usually after a significant period of time has elasped though.

Rory G said...

I never used to reread but I find that sometimes it is nice to go back and visit favorite characters and sometimes find things in the book that I missed before. There is always something new.

Penny Watson said...

Hi Amanda! I go through crazy rereading jags...the whole Dark Series by Christine Feehan, the Cynster series by Stephanie Laurens, all of Julie Garwood's historicals, all of Amanda Quick's historicals. It's very comforting to revisit these books and dive back into these characters' lives.

Anonymous said...

I love to re-read too. And like you I will go back to books like Harry Potter, anything by Nora Roberts and for me the second book of JR Ward's Blackdagger Brotherhood series (Rhage's story). I also love Linda Howard and historical romances that I read decades ago from my keeper shelf (lots of Johanna Lindsey, Jude Deveraux, Heather Graham/Shannon Drake etc).

:o)

MsM

Kris said...

I love to reread too. I only keep the books that I know I will reread so my shelves are full of memories and perfect for mood reads. :)

ElaineG said...

I re-read all the time...which is why the TBR pile is so flippin huge I guess *sigh*.

I agree on KMM's Highlander series...there is something about a Highlander that revs my engine.

Add to that Sherrlynn Kenyon Dark/Dream/Were Hunters...all of 'em! Then Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooters AND Tall, Dark & Dangerous Loveswepts...and finally anything by Sean Michael, Chris Owen and several other m.m authors I am obsessed with!

I sometimes just skip to favorite dialogue, cause I need a pick-me-up or to step outta life for awhile. I love some of these characters so much that I just need to re-visit them on occasion just cause I can.

Jessica said...

Both, I'm always on the prowl for new and exciting. But there are those times when a good Hannah Howell or Lore Leigh Breeds book will hit the spot. And only a re-read will do!

And I do have to admit, re-reading allows me to read bits and pieces that I missed before. How? don't know, but there is usually something that pops up that I didn't' see before. Go figure!

Copyright © 2008-2011 Desert Island Keepers All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP