Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Fantasy Island

When Tracy asked me to guest blog, I knew exactly what I wanted to post about. You see, last year when the DIK ladies were doing their hero picks, I was playing right along with them. I even made my own list of heroes along side their list. (Yes, I'm a geek like that!) Because I was doing it all on my own, I didn't have to worry about others "stealing" my guys. However, I mostly played along until my guys were "taken."

You see, books are my main form of entertainment. Since my kid came along, we don't go to movies the way we used to (unless it's rated G.) I love movies and movie stars, and some of the most fun I've had on my blog, Renee's Book Addiction, is doing some hero fantasy casting.

I thought I'd share a couple of my favorite heroes/actors from that post, and add a couple of new ones to the mix:



Russell Crowe as Nate Hawkins from My Fair Captain by JL Langley
OK, I've said this more than once, but RC honestly doesn't "do it" for me (sorry, LB!) except when I think of him as Nate.

Russell Crowe's commanding presence captures Nate Hawkins' masculine physicality and take-no-prisoners attitude.

Gabriel Byrne (from the 80's) as Cam Rohan from Mine Till Midnight by Lisa Kleypas
His looks just scream Roma to me, AND he's Irish. He's also got that devil-may-care charm and intensity that I love about Cam.

The picture in my head of Cam has always been very like GB when he was in movies like Gothic or Miller's Crossing.


Montgomery Clift as Adrien English from the Adrien English Mysteries by Josh Lanyon
OK, this one was a gimme.

Adrien is one of my favorite series characters. In the series, people often tell Adrien how much he looks like the actor, whom I think was one of the most beautiful of classic Hollywood's actors.

Montgomery Clift was good at conveying vulnerability and restrained intensity that sometimes boiled over with catastrophic consequences. Hmm . . . sound familiar?
Here are some new casting additions I'd like to make:

Javier Bardem as Japhrimel from the Dante Valentine series by Lilith Saintcrow

Japhrimel is not just any demon, but Lucifer’s right-hand and enforcer. He’s the guy who all the other demons are afraid of. Yet, when he is given the job of assisting Dante, he falls so deeply in love that he rejects Lucifer to stay with her.

Javier Bardem has that slightly dangerous quality that Japh has. Man, I just love this pic of him. Talk about a smoldering look!

My favorite Japh quote: "You shall not leave me to wander the earth alone." ::melt::


Rick Yune as Chance from Blue Diablo by Ann Aguirre

I just finished reading this great new uf last week, and I loved how Chance's intensity of emotion for Corine was so tightly controlled, and then it would just bleed through.

Like Chance, Rick Yune is of Korean descent. Also (as evidenced by the above picture,) like Chance, he wears fashionable clothes really well. Rick Yune also has that smooth sophistication that Chance has.


Jensen Ackles as Elec Monroe from Flat Out Sexy by Erin McCarthy

I love Elec's sexy confidence that never comes across as arrogant. He's emotionally honest, and once he realizes the depth of his feelings for Tamara, he is single-minded in his pursuit of her.

I think Jensen Ackles really conveys that confidence, and while he's often smirky and arrogant on Supernatural, he's somehow never comes across as obnoxious.


Moses Brings Plenty as Charles from the Alpha & Omega series by Patricia Briggs

This Lakota Sioux actor and musician seems perfect to me for the traditional Charles.

I love how Charles is such a great combination of nurturer and alpha male. All the weres fear him, yet he is so gentle with Anna. I'm really looking forward to seeing how their relationship progress in book 2, Hunting Ground, which will be released in August.


Jude Law as Sebastian St Vincent from The Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas

I think Jude Law is almost criminally beautiful. Which sounds like St Vincent to a "T".
He's edgy and dark enough to abduct with his best friend's fiancé, yet charming enough to come back to be a hero in his own book (after taking a pounding by Marcus, of course!)

There's something about the redemptive quality of a great heroine, and the hero who needs redemption. St Vincent and Evie are one of my favorite romance couples!

Here are a few others I'd like to try casting, but haven't found the right man for the part:
  • Clay from the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong
  • Ranger from the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich
  • Hardy Cates from Blue Eyed Devil by Lisa Kleypas
  • Max Pesaro from The Gardella Vampire Chronicles by Colleen Gleason
Any suggestions? Any hero you'd like to cast?

Thanks, ladies, for letting me visit the island. I had a lot of fun! I'm throwing a goodbye party out on the beach. Bring your heroes, Chance, Charles, Elec, Japh and I will be there with the blender, mixing up some amaretto sours!

Cheers! Renee

19 comments:

rebyj said...

OO Good choices. I like your Chance from Blue Diablo!

Anonymous said...

wentworth miller from prison break tough hero

Julie at Outlandish Dreaming said...

Oooh, great ones for Sebastian and Cam!

Lea said...

I've been waiting for your post here at DIK Renee! And, it was worth the wait!!!

Awesome hero choices. Your choice for Chance from "Blue Diablo", is perfection.

I also agree about Jude Law being "criminally beautiful".

I completed a "Hunky Hero", (lol) post the other day at my blog. After much consternation I decided my choice had to be "Devereux" from Lynda Hilburn's "The Vampire Shrink", and "Dark Harvest". However, I cannot decide who could actually play this character effectively. However, I'm now wondering if Jude Law could pull it off? lol

Thanks for making my day a little brighter Renee.

Warm Regards
L

Carolyn Crane said...

Oh, oh, Renee, what a delicious and wonderful post! I love your Adrien English, and your Chance and of course RC IS Nate, you know. And Jude as Sebastian. Sweet! I haven't read the other series. You made such great picks.

How about Benicio del Toro for Ranger?

Anonymous said...

Great choices!! I LOVE Gabriel Byrne!!

Renee said...

rebyj: Thanks!

Julie: Thanks! I was so excited about JL as Sebastian. lol And, Cam! I had such a crush on GB in the 80's.

Lea: TY! It was such hard work, too! :-P
I haven't read Lynda Hilburn, but JL is such a great actor, I'm sure he'd be up for it!

CJ: It was actually between Benicio and Javier Bardem for Japh! BDT as Ranger works fine for me!

Barbara: Me, too! :-)

Kati said...

Max Pesaro from The Gardella Vampire Chronicles by Colleen GleasonColleen has said that Gilles Marini (Dante from Sex and the City - The Movie), is a pretty close match to Max. Um, totally works for me! ;o)

Tracy said...

Oh I love your choice for Elec from Flat Out Sexy. Niiiiice!

Wonderful post Renee and all those menz are beeeeeoootiful! :)

Thanks for being our guest here on Fantasy Island! :)

Oh, and sorry but I think one of the changeling's ate Tattoo.

Renee said...

Kati: I went and looked up Gilles Marini on imdb. Works for me, too!

Tracy: Thanks for having me. It was a blast!

::runs to get a rolled up newspaper:: Bad kitty!

Speaking of shifters, I'm totally kicking myself, because I forgot to add Curran and Hawke as characters I'd love to see casted, but can't figure out good actors to play them.

lisabea said...

Jude=Sebastian.

That's EXCELLENT.

And RC can play Nate anyday. Merow.

Mary M. said...

I love your choices Renee! Special thanks for providing me with a face for Adrian English - I think this Montgomery Clift guy (whom I've never heard of, I'm ashamed to say) is perfect for him, good-looking yet not overly handsome, with an open face that makes you feel at ease. I like Jude Law as St Vincent, too - he might look a little young, but he's a perfect example of how a blond guy can look dark, especially on that picture.

As for Ranger? OMG, I so don't know who could play him. I've never found a face that felt "right" for him. Many people picture him as The Rock, a choice I don't agree with at all as he has a receding hairline and is way too bulky to be sexy. I like the Indian actor John Abraham but he's way too lean to be a good Ranger. So, don't have a clue, but if I find the perfect actor I'll tell you. ;)

Renee said...

LB: Yes and yes. :-)

Mary M: Thanks! If you ever want to see an amazing film with MC, check out A Place in the Sun. Elizabeth Taylor costars, and their combined beauty on the screen is really something.

John Abraham is really handsome, but I do imagine Ranger as more physically imposing. I thought of The Rock, but I agree, he just doesn't work as Ranger. The search continues . . . :-)

C2 said...

For Ranger - I like Daniel Sunjata from Rescue me. :-D

sula said...

mmm, there some yummy candy here. I likee!

Nate...mmmm! Of course the only person that can play him has to be RC. I have to say that I had not considered Jude Law for Sebastian but I can see where you're coming from. He has a devilish way about him. can we cast Clive Owen for something? Gerard Butler?

Renee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Renee said...

C2: ooh, very nice. He is more in line with who I'd imagine. I've never seen him or the series before. Maybe I need to do some research . . .

sula: Yes, and with JL he's got hat look that says he's capable of being very naughty.

What do you think about Clive Owen as Judd? (Psy-Changeling) He's got that coloring, iirc.

I'd be happy with GB in just about anything, as long as he isn't Jamie Fraser. ;-)

Ana said...

Welcome to the island and I love most picks for your heroes. The ones for Charles and Chance are OMG perfect. : D

But as the rightful owner of one Sebastian St Vincent *g* I have to say NO WAY IN HELL Jude Law plays my man.ewwwww

ONLY Josh Holloway can do it. He is perfect for the role. come on, google him, you know you want to.

Ann Aguirre said...

Oooh, that is one sexy Chance.

Copyright © 2008-2011 Desert Island Keepers All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP