Thursday, February 26, 2009

My DIK's

Hello, fellow islanders. If you don't know me, my name is Barbara and like most of you, I'm an avid romance junkie. Shamelessly so. Over the last twelve years I've read more than my share of wonderful stories. After I got past the initial fit of excitement that followed Tracy's invitation email, I began to wonder how in heaven's name I was ever going to narrow that list down to six books. Six? She can't possibly be serious!

It was a daunting task to say the least, but below you will find what I came up with as the top six DIK's I just could not imagine surviving on the island without...

1.) Madeline Hunter's, By Possession...

A Common Lady

For years she had thought he was dead. Yet when Addis de Valence strode into Moira Falkner's cottage, there was no mistaking the sharp planes of his face, and the scar she herself had helped to heal. The young squire who had once been her hero was now her lord, a hardened man who returned to claim the son she had raised as her own. But Moira couldn't deny that Addis roused a passion she never thought to feel--and a perilous hope for a future that could never be....

An Uncommon Love

Addis returned from the Crusades to find his lands usurped by his stepbrother, and his country on the brink of rebellion. Determined to reclaim his birthright, Addis could not afford to be distracted by a woman--even one as tempting as Moira. Yet the only living part of his contented past lay in Moira--and his desire for her was more dangerous than his deadly battles with the king's men. By law, Moira belonged to him...but possessing her heart might be far more difficult.

First of all I'm a sucker for forbidden romance so absolutely LOVED this story. I immediately sympathized with the heroine, Moira. Her silent love and admiration for a man she knew she could never have broke my heart. Initially, Addis was not someone I would consider to be the perfect hero. But, as time passes and we are given a more in depth view of what this man had suffered through, and what he suffers still, I couldn't help but fall in love with him. This was a romance of two people whose love broke the barriers of propriety of that time. It was truly a passionate love story and also happens to be the very first that had ever brought me to tears.


2.) Lisa Kleypas', Scandal In Spring...

After spending three London seasons searching for a husband, Daisy Bowman's father has told her in no uncertain terms that she must find a husband. Now. And if Daisy can't snare an appropriate suitor, she will marry the man he chooses—the ruthless and aloof Matthew Swift. Daisy is horrified. A Bowman never admits defeat, and she decides to do whatever it takes to marry someone . . . anyone . . . other than Matthew.

But she doesn't count on Matthew's unexpected charm . . . or the blazing sensuality that soon flares beyond both their control. And Daisy discovers that the man she has always hated just might turn out to be the man of her dreams. But right at the moment of sweet surrender, a scandalous secret is uncovered . . . one that could destroy both Matthew and a love more passionate and irresistible than Daisy's wildest fantasies.

Yes, yes, I know it's not Devil In Winter. What is it about Sebastian that has everyone all crazy? I mean, yeah, he was devilishly wicked and all that good stuff but, Matthew...now, he was by far my favorite Wallflower hero! Sigh...I fell in love with the hero of this book the moment he revealed his handsome face by the wishing well. The love story that transpires between these two characters was just perfect. Matthew is not your typical hero in the sense that he is simply--normal, lol. He's not the lord of the manor or the dark and brooding sort. No, Matthew Swift was simply a man, and one who just so happened to be madly in love with a woman he never in a million years believed he could have. This was the ultimate tale of the underdog getting the girl and I LOVED IT!


3.) Toni Blake's, Tempt Me Tonight...

Trish Henderson has returned home to Eden to take care of some family business…and some personal business, as well. Though she’s achieved remarkable success as a high-powered Indianapolis attorney, Trish has never forgotten her small-town high school sweetheart, Joe Ramsey, or the devastation of heartbreak.

Now she’s come face-to-face with the gorgeous sex god Joe has grown into, and she’s determined to get him out of her system once and for all – and maybe take a little revenge, too. And this time, she has all the power. After all, where is it written that only men can explore and enjoy a physical relationship without commitment? Her plan: seduce him for just one night, then walk away…But there’s just one problem. Trish is about to find out that one night with Joe may never be enough…

This story is without a doubt my all time favorite contemporary romance. I wanted so desperately to root Trish on when she plotted her revenge against Joe. But once you get to know Joe, really get to know him, suddenly the tables are turned and you want nothing more than for these two to finally have their happy ever after. The love scenes in this book stole my breath. The intensity of emotions was brilliantly written. I have yet to read another contemporary that can be compared to this one.



4.) Lisa Kleypas', Because Your Mine...

Because the Dream...Young, high-spirited Lady Madeline Matthews is expected to wed an aging, lecherous lord. But she would rather shame herself in the eyes of society than sacrifice her freedom, and resolves to render herself unmarriageable by indulging in a torrid affair with Britain's most acclaimed actor and notorious womanizer, Logan Scott.

Because the Heart...He is legend in the footlights and in the bedchamber. But when the curtain falls, Logan is an intensely private, guarded man still tormented by past betrayals that cut deep into his pride and his heart. Now a forward little minx who seems completely out of place in the bright, sophisticated world of the London stage is disrupting his orderly existence with her constant presence, her unspoiled beauty and vibrant charm. And what begins with an onstage kiss threatens to blossom into something more rapturous and real. But first Logan and Madeline both must drop the masks they hide behind...and reveal their true selves in the golden glorious light of love...Because You're Mine

This wasn't easy it was a toss up between this one and Again the Magic. To tell you the honest truth, I don't know exactly what it was that I loved so much about Logan Scott. I think perhaps it was the fact that hidden beneath that seemingly impenetrable façade, lay a man who really wanted nothing more than to love and be loved in return.

Although reputed to be a master in the bedroom, Logan treats Madeline attentions with cold indifference. But that doesn't stop our heroine from getting what it is she has set out to have. Mr. Scott in her bed. Logan may appear to have a heart of stone, but ever so slowly, Madeline chisels her way into this man's heart. And when she finally achieves her goal, the passion and need to love that lay beneath captured my heart.


5.) Julia Quinn's, Everything & the Moon...

STARCROSSED

It was indisputably love at first sight. But Victoria Lyndon was merely the teenaged daughter of a vicar. . .while Robert Kemble was the dashing young earl of Macclesfield. Surely what their meddlesome fathers insisted must have been true-that he was a reckless seducer determined to destroy her innocence. . . and she was a shameless fortune hunter. So it most certainly was for the best when their plans to elope went hopelessly awry.

MOONSTRUCK

Even after a seven-year separation, Victoria-now a governess-still leaves Robert breathless. But how could he ever again trust the raven-haired deceiver who had shattered his soul? And Victoria could never give her heart a second time to the cad who so callously trampled on it the first. But a passion fated will not be denied, and vows of love yearn to be kept. . . even when one promises the moon.

Sigh...I know I've seen it on someone else's list and I do apologize, but I couldn't possibly leave this one behind. Julia Quinn in my opinion is the queen of sweet, make you giddy as you read romance. Everything and the Moon had me laughing and sighing all the way through.
The hero of this tale, Robert, had to be one of Julia's funniest yet. The things he says and does to get the woman he loves is hysterical. And Victoria, well, she's just as funny with the things she does in order to dissuade his interests. If you are looking for a sweet, heart warming romance this is the book for you.


And last but not least...


6.) Samantha Kane's, At Love's Command...

A child when they were betrothed, Sophia Middleton has been waiting twelve years for Ian Witherspoon to return and marry her. Preyed upon by her vicious father and older brother, Sophie longs for Ian to rescue her.

Ian Witherspoon and Derek Knightly became best friends during the Peninsular War, and returned as lovers. Two more years pass before the desire for a wife and children prompts Ian to recall his little fiancée. Ian is determined to make a marriage work between the three of them. Derek opposes the marriage despite Ian's determination, but how long will he be able to resist love's command?

Sophie's vulnerability hides a core of strength and the combination enthralls and seduces both men. An apt pupil, Sophie learns trust and passion from Ian, and Derek tutors her in the ecstasy of surrender. Love will conquer their fears as they fight those who would tear them apart.

Well, come on people! Who knows how long I could be stranded here! I need something to keep my mouth salivating in the dry desert heat. Not only is Sam Kane a wonderful author, but I can't even begin to express how much I enjoyed Ian, Derek and Sophie's story. Ms. Kane managed to take a situation that normally I would believe to be impossible and turn it into a jaw dropping, tongue waggin', smokin' hot romance.

So there you have it, my keepers! I hope you enjoyed them as much as I do :)

~Barbara

45 comments:

Kara said...

I haven't read any of the books you posted but I definitely added them to my TBR list. I too am a sucker for forbidden romance - so By Possession sounds fantastic. I do have Lisa Kleypas' Wallflower series in my stack (I got them at a library sale - all in great condition too).

I absolutely want to get my hands on Tempt Me Tonight - sounds fantastic.

Thanks for a great post!!! and adding to my TBR stack - LOL.

Carolyn Crane said...

These all sound really really great! When was By Possession published? I love the idea of a historical set in this time period, but I'm wondering how old school it is. But good for you for bringing some lesser known books!! Great list!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Kara!! Thanks! Ugh, it was beyond hard to do this list!! I've read so many great stories.

Hey, Carolyn, let me check for you...it was published in 2000. LOL, I've read my copy so many times when I handed it to Madeline Hunter to sign she's laughed. My poor baby is so worn out! I need to get a new copy myself.

Carolyn Crane said...

Oh, so funny. I hope she didn't think you got the copy used! Okay, I just put it on my TBB list. It sounds great!!

Anonymous said...

Jeez...I didn't even think of that! LOL! No wonder she laughed. Oy...

I hope you like the story!

Amy C said...

Barbara, it just so happens that I have a brand new (only read once) copy of By Possession! It's, uh, yours if you want it. Seeing as how you did buy it! :P

Lea said...

Awesome list Barbara!

I really want to read that Toni Blake novel. I love that theme in a contemporay and it sounds awesome.

I have the Samantha Kane book in my TBR, thanks to your recommendation and am looking forward to the read!

Thank you for the suggestions for your other "keeper" books. Beautiful reviews.

Great blog and congrats on the "guest post"!

All the very best.
L

Anonymous said...

LMAO! Amy...;)

Anonymous said...

Thank you Lea! You're always such a sweetheart :)

Kati said...

Barbara - Again the Magic is my favorite Kleypas historical. I love, love, love McKenna. I haven't re-read Because You're Mine in a while, but now feel like I need to pull it out. My copy has the old school cover on it.

Great list, and I totally agree about At Love's Command. I was reading it last night, as a matter of fact!

Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara,

Great list and post! I've only read By Possession, but the others sound interesting, too. Thanks for sharing. :D

Amanda said...

I haven't read any of those..... but as always Barbara you've made me want to go out and get them NOW!! LOL love your reviews!

Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara! I haven't read any of the books in your top 6, but I am making my way through the Wallflower series now and loving it!
:o)

Anonymous said...

Kati!! You have officially become my new bf! I LOVE McKenna!!! OMG, Again the Magic was just so romantic!!! I have yet to hear another reader say those words!! I must have read that story a dozen times and never tire of it.

And yes, At Loves Command rocks!

Hi, Barbara! I'm hoping you enjoyed the story as much as I did.

Hey, Amanda! Thank you so much! I wish I could choose just one to highly recommend but they all rocked.

Hi, MSMoonlight! Oh, Lisa Kleypas-IMO-so saved the best for last. Scandal was just so sweet! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it :)

Blanche said...

Hi Barbara!!

Very nice list......I've read Tempt Me Tonight but none of the other books.......they are all on my "list" though!! :)

Charlotte Featherstone said...

Oh, God, I'd never be able to do this! NO WAY! I'd probably forgo food in lieu of more books. I have some fat padding to sustain, and I'd lose weight, thereby killing two birds with one stone! lol!

Great list, Barbara. I've only read the Lisa Kleypas ones. Looks like i'll be venturing out the bookstore to pick up new ones.
I've found a few new authors since I've been frequenting your blog!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Blanche!! Thanks! Even though I'm your husband's worse enemy because I have turned his wife into a book-a-holic! LOL!

Hi, Charlotte!!! Oh, you have NO IDEA how hard this was. Tracy asked me last week to do the post and I only finished this morning!!

It's almost impossible. I ended up choosing according to just how worn out the books were from being read multiple times, lol! And thanks for the compliment about my blog. It means alot :)

Tracy said...

Barbara!!! Thanks so much for being a guest blogger and sharing your 6 DIK books with us. I want to read them ALL! Well, I just read the Blake and I've read the Kane before but the others, I definitely need to read. I keep saying I'm gonna start the Wallflower series and I've not done it yet. And I love Kleypas and Quinn!

Jenre said...

Great list Barbara!

I thought I'd read all the Kleypas and Quinn books, but I seem to have missed 'Because You're Mine' and 'Everything and the Moon'. I'd better add those to my ever expanding list.

I liked Matthew Swift, but I think we may have to agree to disagree on the Sebastian issue!

Judy H said...

Wow Barbara, you just made me want to run out and buy all of those! But, By Possesion sounds the most interesting by far.....:)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Tracy! No, thank you and the ladies for the invite. I was so thrilled the other night to see you enjoyed Tempt Me Tonight!!

Hi, Jenre!! I was waiting!! I knew I couldn't get away with saying Matthew was the best Wallflower hero without atleast one person claiming otherwise! *wink*

I agree that Sebastian was waaayyy hot, but it was Matthew and his sweetness that stole my heart. Yes, I'll agree however, that I'm definitely the odd one out on this matter, lol.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Judy!! Thank you! I hope you get to read By Possession. It was a wonderful story.

Judy H said...

Well, I have a confession....I used to have a library of over a thousand books and not even a fraction of them were romance....long story shorter..I lost them all in the last few years and my lovey sister, Sally, and niece, Amy, sent me a box of books for my birthday last December. I have completely enjoyed all of the ones I have read so far. But, the ones you wrote about today are probably my most favorite romance type. Atho.....I loved the Black Jewels trilogy, The Blood Brothers Trilogy and the Black Dagger Brotherhood was the BOMB!
So, now, I am a romance reader for the first time in my life...at my age no less.....roflmao

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'll admit that I'm a bit of a historical buff. I love a good historical. Ward's BDBH was wonderful and I loved it. I wish I could have listed hundreds, but alas, Tracy has only allowed six. If you ever want anymore recommendations as far as historicals, Judy, I'd be more than happy to give some!

Judy H said...

Ok, my mistake, I call them the Blood Brothers, its actually The Sign of Seven Trilogy......seven lashes for me.....

Judy H said...

Thank you Barbara.

Unknown said...

Hi Barbara

Great guest post! I'm a romance fan from way back, like when I was 12 years old...yeah, that far back! I guess I have to add to the tbr....

*grins*

Dottie

JenB said...

Jeez, like I needed any more books on my wish list! LOL

Great choices, Barbara. You already know you're responsible for many of the historicals on my TBR shelf right now, and it looks like I'll be adding three or four more because of this post! :D

Glad you could visit the Island. :)

VampFanGirl said...

Great List Barbara!

Okay, so you've totally sold me on 'Tempt Me Tonight'. I've been on the fence about purchasing this book forever. Your thoughts have made me want to take a bat to my head over my foolishness. Sheesh! I should really pay more attention to my instincts.

I totally agree with your 'WTH' in regards to all the love for Sebastian. My fave hero of the wallflowers was Simon Hunt. I'd say that Matthew runs a distant second, but second nonetheless. ;)

Great Job!
VampFanGirl

Amy C said...

HA! Me and my mom have turned my aunt Judy into a romance junkie!!

That is so awesome!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Dottie :) Thank you!

Hey, Jen!! Yeah, sure I'm responsible, I all but forced them on you, lol. And thanks, you guys have such a great blog here!!

Hi, VFG!! Oh, yes, Simon. I liked Simon, too! Oh and Marcus. But Marcus was more like an older brother figure to me, lol. He was in so many LK books, Again the Magic included. I was happy when he met his match in Lillian!! Oh, and about TMT. I loved that story! My mom--who doesn't read romance--read it and loved it!!

Julie at Outlandish Dreaming said...

Hi Barbara! *waving*

The only one I've read of your books was "Scandal in Spring" and you're not the only one - that was my favorite of the Wallflower series too! (I know, what is it about Sebastian everyone loved so much?) LOL! I will have to check out your others soon, so many to read, so little time!

Renee said...

Hi Barbara!

Awesome list, By Possession sounds really good. Also, the Quinn and Kleypas are ones I haven't yet read, so more goodies to look up!

Thanks for a fun post!

Samantha Kane said...

Hi Barara! Thanks so much for adding At Love's Command to your list! I had a REALLY hard time making my list when we originally did this last year. I mean, six books?!

And, I'm a Simon Hunt girl myself. Loved me some Simon. I've been meaning to read that Toni Blake and now it's a sure thing. Thanks for the rec!

VampFanGirl said...

Yay, Ms. Kane adds her love for the super hot Simon Hunt!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Julie!! ((waving back)) YAY!! I'm not alone in my for Matthew!! Sigh...And I know how you feel about never having enough time, lol.

Hi, Renee!! Oh, I think it's safe to say I'm a HUGE LK fan. I doubt the woman could write a single bad thing in my eyes :) I hope you get to read By Possession!

Hi, Samantha!! Tell me about it. It took days! I was actually a little happy to add At Loves Command to this list, I think everyone over by my blog is sick of hearing me talk about it, lol! Fresh victims over here!

VFG!! You crack me up, lol! :D

Anna said...

Great post Barbara! I loved Scandal In Spring as you know, but then I loved all the Wallflowers. LOL!

I have At Love's Command on my shelf to read. I'm gonna read it before the year is through.

;)

sula said...

woot woot! Great list! I think I've read all of them except for the Toni Blake. Love me some Kleypas. And At Love's Command is soo...sigh....Ian and Derek!!! (just thinking about them makes me want to reread). I loved Madeline Hunter's medievals and am so sad that she's abandoned that era for the Regency. While I enjoyed By Possession, my favorite was By Arrangement. David d'Abyndon, be still my heart. CJ, I can't believe you haven't read these!!! Soooo good, you need to get them. (See here for a good review of By Arrangement).

Great post, Barbara, hope you stick around on the island. :)

Judy H said...

Lol, your funny Amy! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Anna! I know you loved Scandal and you have no idea the smile I had on my face as I read your review!! I was beyond happy!!

Oh and about At Loves Command...I'll be patiently waiting to hear that review as well!

Hi, Sula!! It's so much more exciting when other's share the same passion for your favs!! Oh, I just adore Lisa Kleypas' stories! *sniffles* I felt like I betrayed a few by not including them here today. Sigh...

Oh and Madeline Hunter's Medievals ROCKED! Ugh, I wish she would pen a few more.

About Ian & Derek...*wipes chin*...The mention of Derek Knightly makes me drool, lol. ;)

Anyhow, I hope you get a chance to try Toni Blakes book! I loved it and I'm not even that big of a contemporary fan. Thanks so much for enjoying my list!!!

Kytaira said...

I am going to need to add At Love's Command to my TBB list! Thanks! Love most of your other choices BTW

Sarai said...

Hello!
I agree with Scandal in Spring I loved Matthew.
thanks for blogging with us!

Katie Reus said...

Aww, Everything and the Moon was one of my picks! No need to apologize. It's one of my absolute favorites. I'm glad someone else liked it as much as me :) With all the Bridgerton books being so popular, some of her others get overlooked and this one was amazingly sweet!

Pamela Clare said...

Is this fashionably late, or did I miss the entire party? I just wanted to drop by and tell Barbara hi and see what her DIKs were. As I read down the list, I was surprised to realize that I hadn't read a single one of them. Sounds like it's time for a trip to the bookstore. (Any excuse, right?) :-)

Fun post, Barbara!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kytaira! Thanks! I hope you get to read it.

Hi, Sarai! YAY! Another Matthew lover! I just loved Matthew! Thank you ladies for having me, I had a great time :)

Katie, hi! Ugh, I KNEW I read it on someone else's list but I just loved that story far too much to leave it behind. It's great to know I'm not the only fan of the story!!

Hi, Pamela!! Don't worry, you're fashionably late of course ;) Thanks for enjoying my list!

Copyright © 2008-2011 Desert Island Keepers All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP