Thursday, October 30, 2008

Bookworm Day 1: Matthew and Mai Tai's

Hi everyone, it's my turn to post for a few days here at the wonderful DIK blog!*yay* I'm Naida A.K.A. Bookworm. I enjoy reading, blogging, crocheting (its not just for grannies), and jogging when I get the time. I read a wide variety of genres, everything from romance, to paranormals, horror, young adult and the classics.
My fav authors include Jane Austen, Alice Hoffman, Anne Rice, Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Stephenie Meyer, Margaret Mitchell and J.K. Rowling just to name a few.
My fav TV shows are LOST, Survivor, Ugly Betty and Grey's Anatomy.

I've brought Matthew Fox and Mai Tai's along with me today. Hope you don't mind *wink*
I like Matthew most for his role of Jack Shephard, a brilliant yet troubled surgeon and castaway on the tv show LOST. He's the other guy, the one Sawyer tends to take the limelight away from.
He'll be helping me discuss my DIK picks.





Here's my original DIK book picks:
* Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
* Entangled by Kathleen Dante
* Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding
* Coraline by Neil Gaiman
* Odd Thomas by Deen Koontz
* Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Now those are all good, but I've got a few alternates:

1. The Darkest Night by Gena Showalter: I recently read this book and OMG I am hooked. I will be reading the rest of these.In The Darkest Night, a group of immortal men live together in a remote castle in Budapest. These men have been cursed to house demons for eternity. Torin is Keeper of Disease, Maddox is the Keeper of Violence, Paris is the Keeper of Promiscuity, Reyes the Keeper of Pain and Aeron is the Keeper of Wrath. Each night at midnight, Maddox is cursed to die a painful death then spend the night in Hell with his demon, Violence.


'An immortal warrior cursed to die every night, only to awaken the next morning knowing he has to die again. A mortal woman with a power beyond imagining... '
This first book is mostly about Maddox and his love interest Ashlyn.And let me tell you, Maddox is HOT. He's so strong and tormented....and possessive, but not too possessive like a stalker...you know? sexy possessive. He and the other cursed brothers live in a fortress in Budapest.Read more about his series at http://www.lordsoftheunderworld.net/


2. Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell :
An epic novel. Set in the old South, there's love, betrayal and plenty of drama in this book. Scarlett is the Southern belle we love to hate. Rhett is tall, dark and handsome, and he's publicly shunned for scandalous behavior. But the man is rich and charming, so it's all good.
What would be better to read while relaxing on the beach while sipping a Mai Tai?

And in the film Rhett says things like: I'm not asking you to forgive me. I'll never understand or forgive myself. And if a bullet gets me, so help me, I'll laugh at myself for being an idiot. There's one thing I do know... and that is that I love you, Scarlett. In spite of you and me and the whole silly world going to pieces around us, I love you. Because we're alike. Bad lots, both of us. Selfish and shrewd. But able to look things in the eyes as we call them by their right names.
*sigh*


3. The Shining by Stephen King:
Recovering alcoholic Jack Torrence, takes the job of caretaker of the 'Overlook Hotel' for a few months in the winter. The family will be in complete isolation in the hotel with no quick way to leave and barely any contact with the outside world. Once the snow falls they will be stranded. This hotel is located in Colorado and is famous for housing some famous people. It's also known for a triple murder/suicide that occured there from the previous caretaker who suffered from 'cabin fever'. The family is alone in the hotel for about 3 weeks before odd things start to happen....
'Now, kneeling in the sun and watching his son playing in the shadow of the hotel, he knew it was all true. The hotel wanted Danny, maybe all of them, but Danny for sure. The hedges had really walked. There was a dead woman in 217...'

This book is good for, ya know, scaring the heck out of ourselves. It may give you nightmares, but you can cuddle up to your DIK men in the huts at night and be ok.



4. Your Scandalous Ways by Loretta Chase :
James Cordier is a British spy. Francesca is a highly sought after courtesan in Venice. Theres someone trying to kill Francesca and James comes to save the day. Sound good? It is.

'He couldn't be real.Greek and Roman statues looked like that, not living men. Mythical gods and demigods looked like that, not mortal men.But he was breathing. Hard. She watched his big chest rise and fall under his sopping shirt. The sodden linen was merely a veil clinging to his skin, hiding nothing. She could discern every taut line of muscle in his powerful shoulders and arms and torso.'


James Cordier is a hottie. He's not only a spy, but he's a master of disguises and speaks several languages. What more could you want from a hero?






Okay, well thats it for now. I have to go, Matthew wants to go for a walk on the beach. Be back soon!

























18 comments:

Margay Leah Justice said...

Hi, Naida, I'm with you on many of your choices, starting with Matthew Fox. I agree, the guy is special. And I love Lost! Wouldn't mind walking the beach with him myself!

KT Grant said...

Matthew is a worthy hero as Jack but I have a hard core crush on Sawyer. If I could have both, I would be smiling all day long.

Gone with the Wind is the reason I read in general. And The Shining!! The Shining, It and The Stand are my all time favorite novels.

Carolyn Crane said...

Hey Naida! Great picks. And an enticing recommendation on that Showalter. I should read it, I think. Wow, I stopped watching Lost early on, but that doctor is looking much better these days. Is it the hair?

Christine said...

Hi Naida!
Great pics!
That Matthew Fox dude is rather fine, I must agree. He always looks pleasant and upbeat in his photos. I like that. And the slideshow is a hoot! I think it's the music... the lyrics made me giggle.

Tracy said...

Great book pics Naida! I love Rhett - oh he's just so....Rhett!!

Love Matthew Fox and I like him as Jack as well. I haven't watched Lost in a couple of years but he's still as hot as ever I see. I'd take Jack over Sawyer any day. I mean if Sawyer knocked on my door I wouldn't turn him away, but you know what I mean! lol

Katie Reus said...

I used to have the biggest crush on Matthew Fox (think back to Party of Five days) Yum, yum, yummy!!!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't get through Gone with the Wind. Slooow. have you read Georgette Heyer's An Infamous Army? It reminded me of Gone with the Wind. You might like it.
Your Scandalous Ways, on the other hand, I breezed through Yummy!

jessewave said...

Hello Naida

I've been meaning to read The Darkest Night because so many people have spoken highly of this book. Good choice.

I'll take Matthew to go with or without the mai tai.

The Bookworm said...

margay: hi! LOST is one of my favorites, i've been watching since day one.

katie: I know, the ladies luv Sawyer, he's so the 'bad boy'
I prefer Jack though, Sawyer does crack me up.

I havent read IT or The Stand, I mean to someday. S.K. is great.

cj: I really liked that Showalter book, i'm reading the rest in the series for sure.
Maybe it is his hair, or maybe its just cuz he's wet in these pics...lol!

The Bookworm said...

christine: Hi,thanks :) Glad you liked the pics and clip too.

tracy: Gotta luv Rhett.
About Jack & Sawyer...I know, exactly!

katie: he's easy on the eyes :)

ciaralira: I have Georgette Heyer's Reluctant Widow on my TBR list, I'll have to check that other one out too then.
Your Scandalous Ways was fun :)

jesse: hi, The Darkest Night was soooo good.

lisabea said...

Nadia~I have never seen Lost. OMG I'm the only one. I've read Lord of the Flies a bunch of times...does that count? NO?

But I was addicted to Party of Five,so I see where you're coming from.

The Bookworm said...

lisa: i've never read Lord of the Flies :P

I liked him on Party of Five too!

lisabea said...

I bet Lost is way more entertaining.

Bev(QB) said...

Finally, FINALLY, someone who can appreciate Jack! All I ever see is Sawyer, Sawyer, Sawyer. And yeah, I get the appeal, he is a bad boy after all, but Jack is one of those "still waters run deep" heroes who also happens to be some serious eye candy.

The Bookworm said...

lisabea: lol...the eyecandy on LOST is pretty good.

bev: then we are in agreement! lol

Margay Leah Justice said...

Yes, not to be outdone is Henry Ian Cusick, who plays Desmond. You've got to love the Scots!

Bev(QB) said...

"Yes, not to be outdone is Henry Ian Cusick, who plays Desmond. You've got to love the Scots!

Oh crap, you're SO right. All the focus is on the Sawyer/Jack rivalry but the fact is that I would SO do Desmond... even by phone. ;-p

Christine said...

I've never watched LOST either. 0_o

Copyright © 2008-2011 Desert Island Keepers All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP