Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Heroines I'd like to be Friends With

Yes, I know, it’s another post about heroines! As of yesterday morning, I had a vague idea what I was going to be blogging about on my second day on the island. Then, when CJ mentioned Liberty from Sugar Daddy, I changed my mind. I LOVE DIK and all our heroes, and I’ll admit, when I read certain authors, I read their books almost solely for the dark, tortured heroes. That doesn’t mean heroines should be cast by the side. After all, without those lovely ladies, our heroes would be nothing. However, there's a big difference between heroines I admire and heroines I'd want to be stuck on an elevator with.

So I decided to mix it up. Today, I want to talk about heroines that I’d want to be (best) friends with:

1. Liberty from Lisa Kleypas’s Sugar Daddy, hands down, has to be on my list. She’s not ashamed of where she comes from, she took care of her sister when she could have been a selfish brat and stuck her in foster care, and she worked for everything she got in life. Loyalty is a big thing I want in a friend and Liberty has it all. (P.S. I was vera happy with her final choice!)

2. Avril Carson from Nancy Robards Thomson’s Beauty Shop Tales. This hairdresser-turned-actress-turned hairdresser again, is amazingly unselfish. She returns from California to her small hometown in Florida after her husband’s death. Upon arriving, she finds out that her dead husband fathered a child with her high school best friend (while she was married to him). Her (ex) friend is dying of cancer and wants Avril to take care of her son when she dies. So she does. There’s a lot more to the story than that, but that’s a seriously decent human being.

3. Jaine Bright from Linda Howard’s Mr. Perfect. She’s hilarious and she’s a smartass. Enough said.

4. Bette Robinson from Lauren Weisberger’s Everyone Worth Knowing. After five years at a shitty job, she walks out and ends up working in the crazy world of the rich and famous. She fucks up occasionally and almost loses her best friend, but in the end, she figures out what her priorities are in life and how to be true to herself. And she does it without a man. Love her! Okay, she’s not really a romance heroine but she was the catalyst for my decision to become a writer so she gets a slot.

5. Penelope Featherington from Julia Quinn’s Romancing Mr. Bridgerton. She’s loyal, she’s a smart and talented writer (if you haven’t read the Bridgerton books, sorry for the pseudo spoiler), and she certainly knows how to keep a secret.

There are a lot of heroines out there but these are the first five that come to mind for me. What about everyone else? Can you stand another day of talking about heroines instead of heroes? ;) I even included cute pictures of animals. Which heroines would you want to be friends with?

9 comments:

Amanda said...

Oooo interesting!! I'm going to have to think about this one...... but I for one don't mind talking about the heroines again!

Lea said...

Another wonderful post! Like Amanda, I don't mind talking about heroine's either. My top five? That is a tough one to answer though. I am going to ponder and come back later.

Thanks!!
L

Katie Reus said...

You don't have to answer your top five, just one heroine you'd love to be friends with :)

Renee said...

You are so right about Liberty! Among my very favorites!
My list would definitely include Annabelle from SEP's Match Me if You Can. She's a regular gal, who isn't always the most put together, and just takes everything (including her home being invaded by mobs of homesick football players looking for a homey hang out) in stride. She would have the best stories, too!

Tracy said...

Great post Katie! Sorry I didn't get here yesterday.

I think Liberty is a fabulous choice. She's really a great character and I loved reading about her.

Also I love Beth Ackerly from The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie. I loved how she saw the true person that Ian was and didn't let anyone change her mind.

Anonymous said...

Good question, while I wouldn't want Sookie Stackhouse reading my mind (Charlaine Harris paranormal/mystery series) I still love this heroine and would like her for a friend.
:o)

Carolyn Crane said...

Another great post. Yes, wouldn't Liberty be such a great person to call a friend? With the added bonus these days of a jet to fly her gal pals around. This shows me yet again that I really do need to read Mr. Perfect.

LesleyW said...

Yeah, I think heroines are just as important as heroes.

My favourite heroines are from the world of UF, so not really the kind of gals you maybe become friends with.

But favourite heroine - probably Mercy Thompson. Though like my favourite heroes, she's subject to change.

Katie Reus said...

Tracy & Renee - haven't read either of those but they sound good!

Ms. Moonlight - it's true! The mind reading thing would be crazy, but I love Sookie :)

CJ - I like the way you think. Anything that helps me avoid crowded airports is a good thing.

Lesley - Even though I don't read a lot of UF, Briggs is one of my favorite authors and I love Mercy :)

Copyright © 2008-2011 Desert Island Keepers All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP