Monday, August 3, 2009

Liane Gentry Skye - Day 2


Please welcome Liane back to the island! Today she's giving us a little more insight into her writing process and what it's like to write for one of the hottest publishers in erotic romance!

1. You just had two releases out from Red Sage, practically back to back. What’s it like writing for such a well-respected publishing house?

Red Sage was the first publisher of my dreams, and they are a joy to write for. My editor, Theresa Stevens, is an amazing woman with an impressive academic and professional background. She knows how to get the best out of my writing without altering my voice.

2. What would you say has been your most significant accomplishment as a writer?

Learning to open a vein on the page and let the character's emotions rule the scene.

3. What is your writing process? Are you a plotter or pantster?

I *want* to be a plotter. But my characters have their own opinions on that. So in the end, I'm a pantser, all the way, and I'm coming to accept that.

4. How long have you been writing?

Since…I could hold a pencil? Seriously, I wrote a lot in elementary school, then kind of dropped it through junior high when art and dancing went on the front burner. When I couldn't dance anymore, the writing urge came home to roost.

5. Tell us something about yourself that we might not know.

I wanted to be a professional dancer/actress. When I had a child of my own—wayyy to young—I realized that performing arts wasn't the kind of world where I wanted to raise her. So I channel that urge to perform into my writing now, and for me, writing truly is a performing art. I write "to" my readers, trying to anticipate their emotional reactions to what I'm doing.

6. What are you currently working on?

I have terrible ADD, inattentive type. So I tend to work on three or four projects at a time. Eventually, one of them pushes its way to the forefront and demands my constant attention. Right now, I'm captivated by the revisions for Wicked Redemption, the companion novel to Wicked Temptation which debuted at
http://www.eredsage.com/ this month. Wicked Redemption is a very steamy steampunk romance, and the final book in the Three Kinds of Wicked series, which is Red Sage's first author developed series.

I also have a text novel going at http://www.textnovel.com/, Muse Struck, as part of the Dorcester Next Best Celler contest. I appreciate any and all thumbs up votes on it! It's a great place to get acquainted with the text novel phenomenon that is sweeping Japan and to score some great free reads. There's a lot of talent there, I'm always impressed by the quality of the stories.

7. Anything you’d like to add for your readers and/or aspiring writers?

There is never a good time to reach for your dreams. Life will always throw in wrenches and curve balls. The difference between the want-ers and the do-ers is just that, doing. Just write. Write every day even if it's just a sentence. The best thing I ever admitted to myself was that I wasn't writing because I *chose* not to. It was, at the time, easier to say "I can't," than admit to myself that I was afraid to make the commitment and risk failing.

Please join us tomorrow for Liane's last day on the island! And remember, one lucky commenter will receive a signed copy of Secrets Volume 27 or her recently released ebook, Wicked Temptation. Simply leave a comment and the winner will be announced tomorrow!

Blurb of Wicked Temptation
Trey, a demigod, is sworn to guard the fates of human couples on whose relationships hinge the course of history. Over the eons, his affection for mortals has left him yearning for the one thing he can never have—a heart mate to call his own. When a ruthless goddess resorts to an aphrodisiac to force him to break his vow of chastity, his heart is instead claimed by the woman who is destined to help her human lover save the world. Can a ménage possibly help him undo the damage he’s done?

For more information on Liane, visit her website here.


11 comments:

Jenre said...

Hi Liane
What great answers!

Nice to meet you and get an insight into how you work.

Anonymous said...

Hi Liane
Terrific interview. I don't believe I have bought any books from your publisher, and now that I know a little about you I'm eager to check out their and your backlist.

Liane Gentry Skye said...

Thanks, Jenre. The answers are almost as insane as I am LOL! thanks so much for stopping by. I'm literally in transit to SC, so I'll be on and off today. Thank God for rest stops and air cards LOL.

Liane Gentry Skye said...

Thanks, Jesse. Some great authors have gotten their starts at Red Sage--Angela Knight, Larissa Ione, Mary Janice Davidson, Cynthia Eden, just to name a few. I'm so thrilled to be part of a publisher that pays such close attention to editing and quality stories.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

that is one hot book
congrats
kh

Mary G said...

I truly admire your talent in the face of the ADD challenge since reading & writing are so affected. You're an inspiration.

Liane Gentry Skye said...

Thanks KH for stopping by. Mary I appreciate the support. My mom and dad were great teachers. Of course back then everyone just thought I was a day dreamin' underacheiver. Only when my kids were diagnosed w/ autism did I realize there was a name for what I have! And Dragon Naturally Speaking gets me through rough days when the mind/hand disconnect is HUGE.

Katie Reus said...

Love your advice! It's so true. The only time to reach for your dreams is now. :)

Lea said...

Hi Liane:

Great answers and wonderful insight as to how you pen your work.

Best
L

Kytaira said...

Great interview. Every one I learn something new. Thanks!

Tracy said...

Lovely interview ladies. I love that you've channeled your "arts" into on thing and are so happy with it. I love to hear that.

Copyright © 2008-2011 Desert Island Keepers All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP