Thursday, August 20, 2009

The 4 Heroes of the Apocalypse


Rumor has it from the Romance Writers of America national conference that Post-Apocalyptic fiction is hot. I am eager to get my hands on the new batch of heroes that announcement will inspire. If you think about it, post-apocalyptic settings are similar to desert islands: no running water; no supplies; just lots of hot, sweaty Alphas working under the hot sun to build cabanas out of palm fronds and break open coconuts.

Why do I like the idea of post-apocalyptic heroes? They have to be brave, rugged, and smart to survive in primitive, violent conditions. I have my eye on a hut full of heroes that I would like with me after the apocalypse:

1. John Connor. What other man could lead a group of under-prepared, weak humans into the lair of maniacal machines and return with every one of his troops alive? Seriously, this is the man for the job if you want to survive in the post-apocalyptic world. Forget about the dangers of being a secondary character. His hero power will save the world.

2. Curran, the Beast Lord. The anti-hero of Ilona Andrew's Kate Daniels series is a self-serving, dangerously sexy lion shifter. He knows how to rule in a post-apocalyptic world where vampires, demons and crazed mythological creatures stalk the night. He's loyal to a fault and takes no prisoners.

3. Wizard. Post-apocalyptic romance is plentiful in the SHOMI line. DRIVEN, by Eve Kenin is one of my favorites. Rough around the edges, but handy with a gun, Wizard is just the guy I'd want at my back in the arctic wasteland of a nuclear winter. I wouldn't mind having Raina on my team too.

4. Rogan. He might not be trained as a fighter, but when the going gets tough, Rogan gets going. The hero of Michelle Maddox's COUNTDOWN not only must contend with a post-apocalyptic world, he's racing for his life in a game show with deadly consequences. He thinks on his feet and rolls with the punches. All that muscle doesn't hurt either!



Who would you bring? Do you like apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic romance and urban fantasy? Recommendations?

13 comments:

Wendy said...

I love post-apocalyptic settings! Both in books and movies, it's awesome. And I totally agree with your heroes, especially Rogan (I love that book!) and Curran (swoon!).

Kati said...

How 'bout Jack Bauer? He's pretty good in a fight, a little morally ambiguous, and apparently has more than 9 lives. Also, he has The Velvet. And that's a BIG something!

Tracy said...

Ciara you've picked some great guys to be heroes there. I love that you picked Rogan - he was a good one.

I'd have to add Shane Maddox from the SHOMI book Twist by Colby Hodge. He'd kick some ass and take some names. :)

Ciara said...

Wendy - I can't wait to get my hands on the next Curran installment. I really, REALLY hope they stop teasing us with the unfulfilled sexual tension. I can't take it anymore!

Kati - Good pick! I hadn't thought of him, but you're right. He'd be the perfect guy to have at my back. Except that his secondary characters die off pretty frequently. And his wife didn't fair too well. On second thought, maybe the safest place is far away from Jack!

Tracy - I'll have to add Twist to my TBR pile. I really like the Shomi line, but I hear it's being discontinued. I hope Dorchester still publishes that type of story in their general line.

Wendy said...

Ciara, I think we're pretty close to finally getting some action!

You've read the last book, right? Remember the bathroom scene? Oooo, boy.

Lea said...

I'm an apocalyptic (pre and post) fan. I've read a couple recently.

I've actually featured Lacey Savage's "Dirty Love" which is an extended (very hot) novella at my blog this week. Great, read with a very unique plot. Definitely a DIK...

Great Post!!

Shaymless Aymless said...

Get picks!

I loved Wizard. I'm hoping Eve Kenin/Silver will wrap up the series with a third book. Rumor is that since the Shoami line died, she's going post the final installment of that series on her website.

I have Countdown in my TBR will have to move it up.

Tracy said...

Ciara - I might still have Twist - if so I'll send it to you. :)

That's too bad that they're discontinuing it but I understand. After the first big bang it kind of died off.

Ciara said...

Wendy - in the hot tub? *fans self* I'm counting down the days until book 4.

Lea - sounds good. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the rec!

Aymless - now I feel like an idiot. it was a series? Must track down the other book!

Tracy - *bats eyelashes* that would be lovely! Perhaps Shomi was just ahead of its time? It seems odd that Dorchester would drop those books when agents and editors are out looking for post-apocalyptic.

Shaymless Aymless said...

Ciara: There's only one other book. That's Hidden. ^_^

Wendy said...

Ciara, yes! I about die, for real. I might have read it quite a number of times while grinning to myself liker a fool.

Curran. Nom nom nom! *g*

Tracy said...

I'll look tonight and see if I have it.

Karen W. said...

I'm a HUGE fan of post-apocalyptic fiction in general and definitely agree with all your hero picks. :)

My favorite post-apocolyptic books are horror/sci-fi, but I'm glad to see more of it showing up in romantic fiction/urban fantasy. I've already read all the books mentioned & I'm always looking for more with that theme.

Copyright © 2008-2011 Desert Island Keepers All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP