Thursday, March 19, 2009

Welcome Guest Author D. B. Reynolds

Hi everyone, please welcome new author D.B.Reynolds to the Island. She'll be here for the next two days blogging about her favourites books and why alpha females rule! LesleyW

First of all I want to thank Lesley W. for making it possible for me to guest blog here on the island, and Christine for giving up some of her time to make room for me. My reaction when I saw this site for the very first time (many, many months ago) was, Ooooh, I’d like to do that! And here I am.

I’ll introduce myself first, so you don’t have to wonder why the heck I’m here. I’m D. B. Reynolds and my very first book, RAPHAEL, is coming out on March 31st from ImaJinn Books. RAPHAEL is an Urban Fantasy set amid the beaches and beautiful people of Malibu, California, the first of my Vampires in America series. I’m always torn when people ask whether my books are Urban Fantasy or Paranormal Romance. I guess it depends on how central the romance is to the story, but it’s a fine line. In RAPHAEL, there’s definitely romance, but there’s also a kidnapping and a conspiracy that brings the Vampire Lord Raphael and the human P.I. Cynthia Leighton together in a passion of blood and violence that is destined to destroy them both.

I’ll be giving away a signed copy of RAPHAEL at the end of my two-day gig here on DIK. Everyone who comments on either day will be eligible. I’ll throw the names into a hat, or whatever receptacle is handy, and draw one out. As I said earlier, the book releases on March 31st and I’ll send the winner her/his autographed copy as soon as I get my hands on one! You can find more details about me and my book, including reviews by Kelley Armstrong and Adrian Phoenix, on my blog at http://dbreynolds.wordpress.com/.

Okay, on to my five books. We’ve all done stuff like this before, what books, what albums, which characters from a specific book would you want to be stranded with? Of course, the most important, and really only, criterion has to be not readability, but RE-readability. It’s a deserted island; I’m going to read these books over and over, right? For years, the first book on my list would always be The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by Tolkien. Because you get three books for the price of one, and because, well, it’s The Lord of the effing Rings!

But I’m going to confess a secret here. Ever since the movies came out? Ever since Peter Jackson put such a wonderful face and voice on every character? I’d much rather watch the movies. I know! It’s like a heresy or something, but it’s true. So, assuming I can’t take along my battery operated DVD player (and an endless supply of batteries), here’s my books, in no particular order.

The Rhea Lynch, M.D. series by Gwen Hunter. I’m hoping that by the time I get stranded there will be an omnibus with all four of the existing books. If not, I’m getting out the duct tape and making my own. These characters are so real, so completely human and likeable that I can read them over and over again. It’s like visiting a dearly loved, old friend. You pretty much know everything the characters will say and do, but it makes you feel better just being with them again. Maybe it’s because you know everything about them. It’s comforting.

The Keltiad by Patricia Kennealy-Morrison, specifically the Tales of Aeron, which are The Copper Crown, The Throne of Scone, and The Silver Branch. More duct tape. This is a wonderfully fantastic series which hypothesizes the escape from Earth of at least some of the population of Atlantis before the disaster. They have traveled far away from Earth and set up a new civilization, which has broken into two major empires. In Kennealy’s books, the Atlanteans were Celtic, so the books are full of Celtic myth and culture. I love these books. Kennealy is a tremendously evocative writer. I can and have read these books many, many times.

The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop. Now this one I know has an omnibus, so I’m free and clear. Bishop created such an interesting and unique world with her Blood warriors and their witchy and sometimes bitchy Queens. And Daemon and Lucivar can snarl at one another in front of my fireplace any time. I love those guys!

Bitten by Kelley Armstrong. Of all Armstrong’s books, I love this one the most. It’s a close race between Bitten and Stolen, but in the final analysis, this is the book that I’d take along. Elena’s struggle to accept her wolfiness, Clay’s unapologetic disdain for human norms and Jeremy’s cool authority. A great combination, and it doesn’t hurt that Clay is such a HUNK!

And finally, I think I’d go for another omnibus I’m not sure exists (I’m going to need a lot of duct tape.) That’s the Continuing Time series by Daniel Keys Moran. This extremely well-written and complex look at the future of the human race offers a new discovery with every reading. I only hope Moran writes at least one more book before I get stranded.

So, that’s it. That’s my five. As for the rest of my time, the best book of all would be the one I was writing in my head as I sat there all alone on the island. I’d close my eyes and listen to the waves, and, in my head, I could be anywhere, do anything, and be with anyone I wanted. That story would never have to end.

24 comments:

Jenre said...

This sounds like an interesting set of books, although out of your list I've only read Bitten. It's a lovely, and yet true, thought that some of the best stories are those that you make up yourself - what a nice idea!

*whispers* I'm with you on the LOTR films. Don't tell anyone though or I might get stoned.

Lea said...

Hi D.B.:

Fabulous post and "Rapheal", sounds to be an awesome read. I love UF/PNR and vampire stories are a particular favorite so I will definitely look for your book at the end of March.:)

Great choice of books to have on the island as well. I have Kelly Armstrong's book in my TBR, so must get to it.

All the best to you. :)

Kim said...

Welcome D.B.!

Great answers!
I agree with you about the comfort of a good series.

Why haven't I read the Anne Bishop trilogy? All the cool kids here on the island are talking about it. I gotta get on that.

Congrats on Raphael! It looks like a great book. I will be looking for a hero replacement in my hut...so...yeah I will be checking out Raphael! LOL

LesleyW said...

Ooohhhhh - I never thought of Raphael as a hero replacement. I'm kind of happy with the heroes I've got...I think. :)

Of the books you've mentioned I've only read Bitten and the Anne Bishop trilogy. The others I hadnt heard of, though the Rhea Lynch series sounds like it might be my kind of thing.

Kim said...

Lesley,
I think Sarai is planning a hero cage fight or something in May.LOL

So yes. Yes, I will keep my eye on Raphael. :)

DonnaB said...

(Whispering) Jenre, I think we're not alone. Many others have confided the same sentiments to me regarding LOTR! LOL

Lea, you definitely have to move Bitten up to the top of your TBR pile. It's a great series and Kelley Armstrong will be on the island soon!

Thanks for dropping in!

DBR

DonnaB said...

Kim, The Anne Bishop trilogy is fantastic and very different from a lot of fantasy/romance out there. It can be fairly brutal in some places, but it's totally original and she's a wonderful writer.

As for a hero replacement, Raphael is a formidable hero! He's tall, dark and gorgeous, VERY protective of what's his and not afraid to use his considerable power to get what he wants. But he's pure alpha. You'll never see Raphael submitting to anyone, not even Cyn.
Of course, he wouldn't take well to sharing the hut either --he's a pretty possessive kind of vampire. LOL

Thanks!

DBR

DonnaB said...

Lesley, as a friend, I have to tell you that heroes do wear out if you use them too much. It might be time to rotate the inventory. Let one of the guys get a hut of his own and rest awhile, lie in the sun unmolested, er, unless he's a vampire, of course. LOL

Thanks for inviting me and for all of your support.

Donna

Tracy said...

DB - Congrats on your upcoming release! Thanks so much for visiting us here on the island - we love new faces!

I too brought two of Bishop's BJT with me to the island. Had I known I could cheat and bring the Omnibus I would have! lol Now I can just borrow the first book from you. :)

Thanks for the tip on the Gwen Hunter series it sounds good.

I love Bitten and Stolen by Armstrong! Ok, so I haven't read any farther in the series but they are so damned good!

And LOTR - never read the books but LOVE the movies. *ducks and runs for cover*

DonnaB said...

Hi Tracy,

Thanks for welcoming me to the island. I love this place!

The Rhea Lynch series is terrific. Lots of medical jargon and hunky cops. Yum.

As for LOTR, I think you're part of a growing club! I love those movies, even though I've read the books, gosh, probably fifty or so times. I know, pathetic.

DBR

Sarai said...

I own bitten and have no idea why I haven't read it yet. Between you and Lesley you would think I'd jump on the bandwagon... and yet there it sits mocking me.


WELCOME TO DA ISLAND!!!

Carolyn Crane said...

Hey DB, welcome!!!

okay, Kelley Armstrong reviewed your book? Wow, how cool! I'm a huge fan of hers, and I agree with you on Bitten. I love that you chose a few more obscure books for the island, too - I may have to add them to my list. And Rapheal sounds wonderful. I love books that hit that sweet spot between PR and UF.

Carolyn Crane said...

Sarai!!!!! You haven't read Bitten OR any Megan Hart??? You need a time out!!!

Tracy said...

Gotta love the hunky cops! lol

DonnaB said...

Sarai!
You have to read Bitten! Put it on the top of your pile. Once you've read it, you'll be adding Stolen for sure, and all the other books that come after. Kelley's a great writer.

And thanks for the welcome! I'm feelin' the love here. LOL

DBR

LesleyW said...

Donna - you're welcome. And I didn't know that about the heroes wearing out. lol

DonnaB said...

Thanks, Carolyn Jean
Yes, I was pretty happy when Kelley Armstrong offered to read my book and give me a cover blurb. She's not just a great writer, she really encourages new writers. My writing group lives on her web site and she's always ready to answer questions and offer advice.

I've got two cover blurbs -- Kelley Armstrong and Adrian Phoenix. Both excellent writers who have been generous with their encouragement and support.

DBR

DonnaB said...

Well,Lesley,, they get um, sore, and worn out after awhile. Heroes need rest too. LOL

DBR

Lori T said...

Hi D.B.

Congrats on your upcoming release...it sounds really good. I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I have not read any of your choices, but I do have Bitten in my TBR pile.

DonnaB said...

Thanks, Lori!

Kytaira said...

Hi D.B.
I was so intrigued by your book that I went over and checked out your blog. I love the idea of two books with a cameo in the third. I really love finding out about the characters after their own story is done.

Cool creepy fact!

Katie Reus said...

Welcome to the island!! You're not alone, I'd rather watch the LOTR movies too, lol ;)

Jess (The Cozy Reader) said...

Your book sounds and looks great!

Becky said...

I'm not sure if it's sad or exciting that I'd only heard of two of the books/series on your top five. I think I'll let it be exciting- new authors to discover!

Congrats on the new book, D.B.!

Copyright © 2008-2011 Desert Island Keepers All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP