Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Guest: Laura Baumbach

It's hump day, JenB! YAY!


And it's day 3 of our verra special

Desert Island Keeper
M/M Romance Author
Festivus Extravagandus!

Surely, one can never get too tired of saying that.

I'm handing the mic over to my friend Laura Baumbach. She and I go WAY back (like months even!) and she is not only a woman with vision and drive, an Eppie Award winning author, and an m/m publisher, she a fun date on a Friday night as well. So: welcome Laura B.

Hello everyone. My name is Laura Baumbach. For the legions of people who don't know me, I write M/M erotic romance. I've won a few writing awards here and there, the most recent being the 2008 EPPIE Award for best GLBT story, The Lost Temple of Karttikeya. In 2007 I finaled in the same category with my scifi novel Details of the Hunt. I'm currently writing the sequel to that one titles Genetic Snare--all beefy alien bounty hunter and wily, light-fingered, confused pirate for heroes. While my writing keeps me pretty busy, I devote a portion of every day to the M/M authors co-op group I formed to venture out into more expensive advertising venues called Manloveromance.com. We run ads in places like gay.com, advocate.com, romance sites, and do public booths and appearances at big ticket events such as Book expo America, Yaoi Con, and GEE to reach our target audiences of straight women and gay men.

Between writing and promoting M/M romance, I own and operate ManLoveRomance Press, LLC, aka MLR Press, a small print press exclusively for M/M erotic romance and fiction. The back bone of my world is my husband, sons and my now part-time career as an emergency trauma nurse. I started writing five years ago in the world of fanfiction. My first books were print published collections of these works published by a small press in CA. Surprisingly, my writing found an audience and wrote 4 books with this publisher. Flush with amazement, I wandered into epublishing world, found more houses looking for my brand of work and I've never looked back. I now have seven novels out in a whole variety of genres from vampires to cops, one single author collection of short stories and short stories in five anthologies. I've written for BUST and MEN magazines, Alyson Press, and at least six different epublishers.

My latest release is the first in a new romantic crime series titled Mexican Heat. I'm co-authoring the Crimes & Cocktails series with award winning master of prose Josh Lanyon, author of the acclaimed Adrien English Mystery series. Mexican Heat releases in a few weeks. This is the first time I've advertised a book in Romance Sells and I'm anxious to see how effective that turns out to be. As an added kick to the promotions I've placed ads in two more print magazine as well. New territory for me to explore!




Books I would read again and again if stranded on a desert island:

Fatal Shadows

A Dangerous Thing

The Hell You Say

Death of a Pirate King

The Thin Man

Drift Ice Station Zebra







Fantasy men I would want with me:

Johnny Depp
Antonio Banderas


But, if I can't have real men I want:

Jake Riordan--from AE
Bram Lord -- from A Bit of Rough
Adam-- from Out There in the Night
Gibbs-- from NCIS
Indiana Jones


Favorite Reading Position Upright at my desk. It's the only chair in the house that doesn't hurt my back. I know, I'm getting old.

Best love song
Your Man by Josh Turner

Favorite Heroine
Who reads anything with women in it?


Author everyone loves but you don’t
Anne Rice. Talk about too much descriptive narrative!

If you could be in one book/series/world which would you pick
Adrein English Mystery series. I want to be the ED nurse that takes care of Adrien when he has his heart problems or who takes care of Jake when he gets hurt in the line of duty. I have several things to say to both of them.

How old is your inside voice
36. I'm mentally stuck there.

Favorite sex song
Squeking bed springs. The lyrics suck but the rthyhm's good.

If you could be a hero who would you be
Antonio Lorenzo in my newest book Mexican Heat. That means I get Gabriel all to myself!

What heroine is most like you
Ah. Well. Hmmm. I'll get back to you on that.

What heroine would you like to be
See above answer.

Boxers, Briefs, boxer briefs, kilt (I say we add commando)
Knit boxers please.

Favorite book set on a tropical island
er. uh. What she said.

What hero is most like your significant other
Bram Lord in A Bit of Rough.

What hero would you like to be your significant other
I got what I want. No substitute needed. .

If you were stuck on a desert island what 3 things would you bring
Water, Motrin, a man.

Favorite drink to bring to the DIK party
Southern Comfort and Tab, coffee ( yes! thank goodness for coffee...mmmm....coffeeee....)

MY FAVORITE HERO?
Jake Riordan and Antonio Lorenzo. Strong guys. Gotta love them.

34 comments:

Carolyn Crane said...

Hey, welcome Laura! Nice to meet you and hear about all your exciting projects. And hey, what a sweet answer about the hero, that you got what you wanted.

Dakota Flint said...

Favorite Heroine
Who reads anything with women in it?


Ha. Brilliant. I love it.

Great interview, Laura! I'm so glad I "discovered" this island right around the time of the M/M Romance Author Festivus Extravagandus. What fun! (and with hot men...yum!)

Sayuri said...

Hey Laura,

I think you may be more obsessed with Adrien and Jake than I am....I won't share you know. I'm greedy like that! *g*

Aloha! And welcome to the island.

jessewave said...

So Laura
Your favourite heroes are Jake and Antonio? Not greedy are you? Leave one for the rest of us *g* I LOVE Jake but I haven't met Antonio as yet so I'll get back to you on that :)

I really love your writing - A Bit of Rough and Out There In The Night are two of my favourite M/M books on my bedside table. You so rock and welcome to the island.
Wave

Ciara said...

INDIANA JONES!!! Squeee! Great pick. I may have to steal him from your hut. ;)
And I love your "favorite sex song" answer. Hi-larious. Deserves a prize.

Thanks for joining us!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Carolyn jean. I got lucky and got a real keeper with my guy. 27 years and counting.

Unknown said...

Hi Dakota! Great to see you out and about again. The discovery process is a wonderful thing, huh? *g*

Unknown said...

Afternoon, sayuri! I do like a complex couple of guys to play with and no one is more conflicted and complex than these two. Puzzles. I like puzzles.

Unknown said...

Hi Jesse! Thanks for the warm welcome. Sorry to be so late to the party but I worked the night shift and I claim old age. Sleep is a sparse and wonderful thing. I'm worn out from my trip to SF for Yaoi Con.

I'm thrilled you enjoy my work! I love my Bram and James from A Bit of Rough as my first loves--on paper that is. *G*

Unknown said...

Ciara! I love a fearless man with adventure in his soul and a tender side.

JenB said...

Hey Laura! *waves* Welcome to the island. You sure did bring some yummy men!

And I love your favorite sex song. LOL

Lauralyn said...

Hi Laura, It was a pleasure to meet you at Yaoi Con, you are certainly the world's most awesome advocate of m/m writers and I'm pleased to be one of the faithful.

I can't wait for Mexican Heat! I'm trying to stay busy until it comes out. Then, maybe I'll just go someplace by myself where I'll be uninterrupted to read it! Keep up the great work!

I have a few things to add after you have your say with Jake and Adrien myself ;-)

Unknown said...

Hi Jenb,

I love slow sexy music. I can't stand it while I'm writing but when I'm mentally plotting out a scene it's great background to keep the mood flowing in the right direction. Even if it's a fast paced scene my aged mind like a slow tune to pace it out to! The human mind is a mysterious thing.

Unknown said...

Afternoon, Lauralyn.
Thank you for the kind words! It was great meeting you at Yaoi Con, too. I had a terrific time there. The readers were SO amazing! I was blown away at how many where there that read my work and that of the group of authors with me! And they were so enthusiastic and generous with their feedback, too. It was so worth the trip.

I did a bit of networking in the city as well and had a fabulous time meeting people. I was there in the city with friends JL Langley, Ally Blue, Jade Buchanan, Kimberly Gardner. We all even got to attend a Bear Calendar signing party Friday night at A Different Light GLBT Bookstore. Talk about awesome San Francisco scenery! *G*

lisabea said...

::perks up::

Bear calendar?

Unknown said...

Bear Calendar signing party for charity with half nakkedy guys and lots of chest hair. The guys running the open bar* so cool at a bookstore!* eventually stripped off their jeans and served us margaritas in leather chest straps and jock straps. And a smile.

The men there were amazing. They were FANS of our writing. Turns out JL, Ally and myself are their top sellers in the entire store.

Sarah said...

hehe, who reads anything with women in it. Certainly not I at the moment!

Your favorite sex song had me laughing.

AND The Bear Calendar Signing, you lucky duck - wish I could have been there and I think that it is so wicked that you got some feedback. You must have been thrilled!

Oh, and here is a link to the Bear Hunter calendar. http://tiny.cc/sqZog

Anonymous said...

Hmm - you know, I"m beginning to think maybe you should post a picture of hubby. He sounds quite special.

Victor

Unknown said...

Hi Sarah! Great link! Thank you. Those are hot guys. I like burly men. At least in half my fictional couples.

Jeanne said...

Hey Laura
Love the pic of Antonio Banderas, my main honcho!
Guess you must like "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" then with both Johnny and Antonio together...now if only they *were* together...
Antonio was my inspiration for Aaron, my Frenchman (yeah, I know, wrong country)in "The Sweet Flag".
Love your choices, but I'd add Antonio Banderas in "La Ley del Deseo" for an early m/m film and "Philadelphia" for the best reason to watch him as he dances with Tom Hanks.

Unknown said...

Hi Victor. Hey, the man tolerates me and my wild career efforts, buys me kids and diamonds, and is still here after 27 years, at 6ft tall, 200 lbs and wearing (very nicely I might add) 34 inch waist jeans, he looks great in his leathers on his Harley.

Let me repeat that 'he tolerates me' part again. lol.

I'll see if I have a recent pic to post to my personal author blog one day soon. *g*

Unknown said...

Hi Jeanne, yes, Antonio dancing with Tom is a moment to be savored. And watched again and again. I LOVE the 90 second sex scene with him and Selma Hyat(?) in Desperado. I just replace her with Johnny in my head. lol.

Anonymous said...

Well said Laura! Love the pic of Antonio you chose!

Laura is responsible for my foray into the works and world of m/m romance. Thanks Laura for being a great friend and eye opener.

Sandy
www.AspenMountainPress.com

Kris Jacen said...

A bear party? I don't know who had more fun this weekend - you, Ally, JL, Kimber, and Jet with the bears or me with my hula dancers? At least I sent you pictures. :(

Unknown said...

hi sandy! Yes, I take full credit for dragging you to the sexier side of things. Well, IMO anyway.

Unknown said...

Kristin, you have great pictures! Those luau dancers are gorgeous men!
I have pictures but I 'll have to get time to pu them up on my blog. All I have up there now is a pic of Ally JL, Kimber, Jade and me!

Kids are getting my evening now and then it's off to work again. I need to be independently wealthy so I can just write!

JenB said...

BTW, Lisabea, there wasn't nearly enough humping this Hump Day. Do you agree?

Josh Lanyon said...

Laura, sorry I missed your DIK day! I took a day off, went out to lunch and ended up getting sick. Do I know how to have a good time or what?

Sounds like you're having lots of fun with the ladies. Don't let them anywhere near your plane. That's all I can say.

Josh Lanyon said...

Thank you, Laura, for all those kind comments about Jake and Adrien. Actually, I think they could use a nice long rest on a desert island right about now!

Come to think of it, so could Antonio and Gabriel. *g*

DIK Ladies said...

No worries, J. I have them safely squirreled away in my wee cabana.

lisabea~still putting together tomorrows post.

Unknown said...

Josh, hope you're feeling better! What a way to ruin a perfectly good day out. I kept thinking the seafood at Fisherman's Wharf would do me in--or was that that drinks?-- but I survived. Hope you're back to normal soon!

Unknown said...

A desert island sounds good all the way around from my POV--with the guys of course!

Tracy said...

Hey Laura - I'm extremely late in getting to the party - but hey, it's still a little before 10pm here! lol

Welcome to the island. I can't believe how much stuff you do! Between the fam and the day job and writing and advertising - my lord when do you sleep? :)

Well it was a great interview and congrats on your Eppie!

Unknown said...

Hi Tracy, sorry for the delay in reply. I worked the night shift and am just getting the youngest out the door to school now.

Thanks for the welcome!

Sleep? I got a whole hour between coming home and now! Another nap later and I'll be ready to start it all over again. So if my writing ever sounds irrational, you know why!

Copyright © 2008-2011 Desert Island Keepers All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP