Monday, September 1, 2008

Give a Warm Dik Hello to Ann Aguirre











Ann Aguirre has decided to stop by the DIK island for the next few days for some sun and tasty home make drinks. *Hands her a nice cold beverage* What's inside the cup is for her to tell, but it looks mighty tasty. For those who don't know Ann, she is ACE's superstar author who writes great sci-fi books. Her first, Grimspace came out earlier this year and her second, Wanderlust is just hitting the shelves. She took the time to answer some questions and of course has some lovely look men to keep her company in her hut for the next few days...

Tell us something we don't know about the mysterious Ann Aguirre.

Ann: I will read all night long, if I like a book enough.

Which is the more superior movie, Star Wars or Lord of the Rings?

Ann: Lord of the Rings

Boxers or briefs on a man? Or perhaps nothing at all?

Ann: I'm partial to boxers, especially low slung ones. Yum. I love a nice chest and shoulders.

If you were a jumper like Jax, where would you travel in space? What type of alien life forms would you like to meet?

Ann: Honestly, I think I'd be terrified to do what she does. She courts death on a daily basis and does so for the thrill of it. I don't think I could do it. There's a reason I'm a writer.

Tell us about Wanderlust, the sequel to Grimspace. Do Jax and March end up having hot sex in the anti-gravity room? Is there such a thing as a anti-gravity room in your world? And if so, what would sex be like in the room?

Ann: Wanderlust is a heartbreaking book in some ways. People are forced to make hard choices, but the characters do stay true to themselves all the way to the end. No, they don't have hot sex in the anti-grav room. Yes, I expect there could be. It might be used for training. The sex in there would be downright acrobatic.

You are one busy bee with your Grimspace series including some new ones in the future. Can you tell us what to expect in the next few years from you?

Ann: I certainly can. There will be two more Jax books forthcoming, Doubleblind and Killbox. They'll come out in Oct 09 and Oct 10 respectively. I have three Corine Solomon books coming out: Blue Diablo, Hell Fire, and Shady Lady. That's my urban fantasy series, and those will release in April, starting April 09. So that's April 09, April 10, and April 11. I've also sold a couple of paranormal romances, wherein I'll be writing as Ava Gray. The titles aren't set in stone yet, but the tentative release dates are Dec 09 and June 10.

You attended RWA in San Francisco, CA. How was your experience? Also, you were on a panel. What was the panel about? Which authors did you meet that blew your mind ? Were there some bloggers, *coughkatecough* that you met there that made your experience even more worth while?

Ann: I had a great time there, unbelievably good. My panel was called Writing and Selling Crossover Fiction with Catherine Asaro, Robin D Owens, and Cindy Hwang. I actually learned a great deal from listening to them speak, so that was fantastic and we had a good audience.
Yes, I really enjoyed meeting bloggers while I was there. Kate, Rosie, Alice, Lisabea, Kristie... I don't want to leave anyone out, but it was great meeting all of them.

What is your opinion on blogs in general? When a review site or blog reviews your work, what goes through your mind? How do you handle negative reviews on top of the positive ones?

Ann: I think blogs are wonderful. Since I'm in Mexico, I wouldn't get to read so many opinions otherwise. As for reviews, I try to keep a perspective in both instances. Whether someone likes my work or doesn't like it, I try to bear in mind it's one opinion and not give it more weight than that. I will admit I'm thrilled over fan mail, but I don't let it go to my head. I'm always focused on my next project. I think the work ethic keeps me grounded.

Have any questions for Ann or just want to join us for some excellent island BBQ and drinks? Comment away and make sure to come back tomorrow because there maybe a nice men slide show of Ann's in the future...

35 comments:

Bridget Locke said...

Hi, Ann! So happy to see you here! I picked up Wanderlust on Wednesday, but haven't read it yet. I think I need to reread Grimspace again to remind myself of the world you've created. :)

Here's a question for you. Why is there such a long time between each book? I'm sure you know how hard it is for a reader to wait at least a year for each book. Is this on purpose? Because I would love to read your books much closer together. Just sayin'. :)

lisabea said...

Hi Ann!

It was great meeting you, too! I have a wee question for you: how do you keep up with all these deadlines and get everything else done??? My husband, children, dogs, and mother are ready to kill me because when I'm writing, I'm only writing. Please, tell me the secret!!!


lb

lisabea said...

PS Is that Vin Diesel?

Ana said...

Hi Ann! *joins the party*

I really liked Grimspace and already got Wanderlust!

Christine said...

Hi Ann! :)
I just started Wanderlust yesterday and I'm really enjoying it. It's very difficult to put down as every chapter has more adventure or heartbreak and I just need to know what happens next.

I can't believe how many projects you are working on at the same time! Including last week's release of Wanderlust, you've got EIGHT books coming out in three different worlds and genres between now and April 2011. Wow. That averages one book every 3.875 months!!!!!

Wendy said...

Hi, Ann!

I loved both Grimspace and Wanderlust! I can honestly say I can't wait to read all your coming books, especially your new series. The Ava Gray one sound so freaking good! *grins*

Joanna Chambers said...

Wow. That's a seriously impressive writing schedule.

My question - I know you'd been writing for some time (not quite sure how long) before Grimspace and had various ebooks published. Was there a moment at which you thought - yup, I get this. You know, like you found your groove/ process whatever?

Pamk said...

is grimspace your first sciif book and will there be any more scifi books not in this series. Any ideas perculating?

KT Grant said...

There will be a new Fast and the Furious movie this summer and both Vin D and Paul Walker will be in it.
Vin drool le drool...
If Grimspace were made into a movie, who would play March and Jax?

The Bookworm said...

Hello Ann. Your books sound great, I'm adding you to my TBR.
Wonderful interview.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Ann Aguirre said...

From Bridget: "Here's a question for you. Why is there such a long time between each book?"

The publisher sets my release schedule, but in fact, looking at it, I have three books a year coming out. That's quite a lot! I have three different series going at this point, and I have a book from each coming out. The romances may come out a bit faster, like every six months, instead of one a year, like my spec fic. We'll have to see how those books sell.

From Lisabea: "how do you keep up with all these deadlines and get everything else done???"

I have a wonderful husband for one thing. He made breakfast on Sunday. Huevos a la mexicana, refritos, turkey bacon and fresh bolillos (bread) from the local bakery. It was delish. He also let me sleep in. The other thing? I have a wonderful housekeeper. She's here five days a week, four hours a day. She does most of the cleaning and laundry, some of the cooking. I couldn't do it without her. My household chores include shopping and paying the bills. Everything else is picked up elsewhere.

However, I do this like a job. I try my best to get my writing done between 9-2:30 when my kids come home. (Today I did it). In the afternoon, I do blog stuff, answer emails, and handle various promo stuff. That's until 5. At 5, I get away from the computer and put myself at my family's disposal. That seems to keep anyone from getting annoyed with me. :)

And yes, that's Vin. Yum!

Hi Ana, so glad to see you. Have you entered the contest on my blog, if you got Wanderlust? Tomorrow is the last day!

Christine, hope you enjoy Wanderlust. Let me know, ok? Yes, my releases are pretty crazy. The good news is that I'm done with 5 of them to one degree or another. I'll have revisions or edits down the line, but that's not as hard as a first draft (for me).

(I'm gonna hit post before the power goes out -- we get brownouts here sometimes-- and then take up where I left off answering more questions!)

Ann Aguirre said...

Wendy, I'm so happy you enjoyed both the books. Yay! I'm working on Kyra and Reyes right now. Some really interesting secondary characters have started to make themselves known to me too.

Tumperkin asked: "Was there a moment at which you thought - yup, I get this. You know, like you found your groove/ process whatever?"

I've been writing for ages. As I said on another blog, I had a major NY agency shop one of my books when I was just 21. It never went anywhere but that gives you an idea how long I've been in the trenches. (I'm 38).

And yes, things did come together for me, process-wise. I use to be an inveterate fiddler. I would rewrite a chapter a hundred times and never move on. Now I just steamroll forward no matter how bad it is. I tell myself it's fixable. 3K a day is my sweet spot. Anymore becomes difficult to sustain long enough to do a draft. Anything less makes me feel lazy.

Pam asked, "is grimspace your first sciif book and will there be any more scifi books not in this series. Any ideas perculating?"

Grimspace is my first SF title. I've been invited to propose more books set in that universe, so who knows? It's certainly possible I might write them. At this point, I mostly just want to write what I have contracted *g* I do have a few sekrit projects I'm working on the side, but those won't be discussed until they sell.

Katiebabs, you know I've never seen F&F. Should I watch it?
She also asks, "If Grimspace were made into a movie, who would play March and Jax?"

Just for pure feeling and not physical resemblance? Carrie-Ann Moss and Viggo Mortensen.

Glad you enjoyed the interivew, Naida!

Christine said...

Please ask Andres to set another spot at the table next Sunday. With a menu like that, I'm so there! I'll even earn my keep by helping out. Hmm... For example, I could spell check any of your current WIPs. The old fashioned way, of course. Page by page. While I read. Si?

Wendy said...

I can totally see Moss and Mortensen as Jax and March! Especially Mortensen, he's so handsome!

KT Grant said...

F&F is an awesome movie. Fast cars and Vin D in a nice tight white t-shirt. Also nice sex scene in a garage.

Ann Aguirre said...

Hee, Christine... he doesn't cook that way too often. I was delighted and surprised.

Glad you can see it, Wendy. :)

Katie Reus said...

Great interview and welcome to the island!! Thanks for posting a picture of my boyfriend ;) (Vin Diesel)

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm late to the party as usual.

I'm just gonna get this out the way and be as uncool as it's possible to be.
[/street cred]
[fangirl squeeing]

OMG! I LOVEDLOVEDLOVED Grimspace. It is defintely in my top ten books of 2007. I hate that I live in the UK and have to wait to get Wanderlust. Arghh. Usually I would get the e-book to tide me over until the paper version get here but the only format I can find is mobi-pocket. Arghhh! *stops to take a breath....starts again* Jax is one of my most favourite female characters in the history if the world. She vunerable but tough and unstable but not insane and although she tends towards the melancholy she's not whiny or irratating. And she's funny (or rather you're funny!) Try explaining why you're laughing out loud and what a peegasm is to someone... And March is just.....*le sigh* well he's just yummy!

[/fangirl squeeing]
[street cred]

So yeah, I really like your work. Hope you have a nice time here.

PS I have also been know to stay up all night to finish a book. My body hates me the next day but my imagination loves me always! *g*

------

I didn't embarass myself there did I guys? Even though I was squeeing, it was completely cool squeeage, right? :)

Anonymous said...

*shamefaced correction*

insert into previous comment..

'Top ten books of 2008'

DOH!

Ann Aguirre said...

Sayuri, that was such a pleasure to read! I don't know about street cred, but for me, it was purely satisfying squeeage.

But lemme see here... you can't get a hold of Wanderlust straightaway, and you can only find it in Mobipocket format as an ebook? Is that the dilemma? If you email me your address I'll be happy to overnight you a signed copy of the book. It's the least I can do for a devoted fan. :)

Shaymless Aymless said...

Hi Ann! I loved meeting you at RWA (was the crazy one that pouted because you didn't have any copies of Wanderlust)!

Still need to get my grubby little hands on a copy of Wanderlust, but work seems to be interfering with getting and reading books.

Now must add all those others to me list too! I need a time machine or maybe multiples of me so one can work, one can exercise ('cause they keep telling me that its good for me) and one to do all the reading. (laundry and cleaning will magically take care of itself *g*)

Sarai said...

OMG I am so out of the loop. WELCOME ANN!!!! Once my work schedule gets settled I plan to pick up the reading YOURS Is no. 1! Great interview!!

Tracy said...

I'm so late!!

Hi Ann! Great interview! I've heard such wonderful things about your books and look forward to reading them!

Sounds like you have a wonderful husband!! :)

danetteb said...

Hi Ann,

I can't get the thought of Jax and March in an anti-grav room. Is there a short story in the making for the anti-grav room?:D

Hugs, Danette

Ann Aguirre said...

The next free short story is going to be about Vel. I have no plans to write anything in the anti-grav room. *g*

KT Grant said...

((VEL)) He needs a lady friend he can show around in the anti-grav room. ;D

Ann Aguirre said...

Although oddly enough, there -is- a joke about using the anti-grav room in Doubleblind. Katiebabs had no advance knowledge of this and I wrote it before she first asked about it! Is that GMTA or what?

KT Grant said...

That is too funny. See, I do know all and see all.
If only that would help me pick the correct numbers for the lotto!

Sarah said...

Cool post and interview! I have heard so much about this book... it seems I must read it soon!

Ann Aguirre said...

Well, naturally I think everyone should, Sarah. *g*

Christine said...

I just finished reading Wanderlust last night and it was fantastic! Very well done, Ann!

Such emotion, turmoil, and action... I still can't stop thinking about the characters and the story.

HOW WILL I EVER MAKE IT TO DOUBLEBLIND????
HOW?
*panic*

Ann Aguirre said...

Yay! Thank you so much, Christine. Most people have said they enjoyed Wanderlust as much or more as the first. Just a few people have said it didn't pack quite the same punch, etc, like the guest reviewer over at Smart Bitches.

KT Grant said...

I was on such an emotional high reading Wanderlust from that freaky scene on the empty station where I had nightmares to what Jax and March are going through, to the ending that made me want MORE!!
Ann, you are one sly wench of an author. ;)

Ann Aguirre said...

*happy dance* I'm so pleased with the reception the book has gotten. It's nerve-wracking to follow up a hit like Grimspace, but seems like I did well. *g*

KT Grant said...

You done good. :D

Copyright © 2008-2011 Desert Island Keepers All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP