Monday, October 20, 2008

Thea's Heroes...Yeah, Baby!

It's time to introduce my starting lineup. Of heroes, that is.


1. Jamie Fraser, from the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon






Jamie. Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. I love Diana Gabaldon's Outlander books with a passion--because of the rich history, the science fiction aspect, and, of course, the enduring love between Jamie and Claire. I read the entire series (well, the first six books) in a two month binge. That's like...60,000 pages or something nuts like that (ok, I'm exaggerating, but it's a lot of text)! Jaime the Red, James MacKenzie Fraser is it. A product of his time, yes, but the kind of hero a woman wants. Especially with his considerable skills at hunting, on a desert island. (Gerry, with some hair dye, could totally pull off Jamie)

Plus...come on. Even my cynical heart cannot resist this:
"I will find you," he whispered in my ear. "I promise. If I must endure two hundred years of purgatory, two hundred years without you---then that is my punishment, which I have earned for my crimes. For I have lied, and killed, and stolen; betrayed and broken trust. But there is one thing that shall lie in the balance. When I shall stand before God, I shall have one thing to say, to weigh against the rest."
His voice dropped, nearly to a whisper, and his arms tightened around me.
"Lord, ye gave me a rare woman, and God! I loved her well."
or this:
"I prayed all the way up that hill yesterday," he said softly. "Not for you to stay; I didna think that would be right. I prayed I'd be strong enough to send ye away." He shook his head, still gazing up the hill, a faraway look in his eyes. "I said 'Lord, if I've never had courage in my life before, let me have it now. Let me be brave enough not to fall on my knees and beg her to stay.'" He pulled his eyes away from the cottage and smiled briefly at me. "Hardest thing I ever did, Sassenach."



2. Joscelin Verreuil, from the Kushiel's Legacy series by Jacqueline Carey




Truth be told, I love these books for Phedre. BUT Joscelin is one damn fine hero. Although neither Legolas nor Wesley are quite right for the Casseline, tall, blonde and deadly is close to fitting the bill. And beautiful. Did I mention the beautiful?


3. Jacob Black, from the Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer




Pretending that the crapfest last book never happened, Jacob Black still is one of the sweetest, passionate guys out there. And, since the movie casting just doesn't fit the bill for me, I'm taking Stephen Strait as my Jacob. Yeah, he probably looks a little old for the role in the picture above...but he looks pretty young and sweet-faced here:




4. Bruce Wayne, aka Batman (and I am cheating and taking every version of the bat that I want. I can do that)






Do I need to explain my love for Bruce? Or why I would bring a bajillionaire badass to the island (especially considering he comes with hi-tech gadgets and Alfred too, naturally)?

I didn't think so.

Batman, I heart you.


5. Remy LeBeau, aka Gambit (of the X-Men)




Who doesn't love the cajun? He's suave, he's got that killer accent, and I want him to call me cher. And risk draining his lifeforce for a kiss. And who better to play Remy than LOST's own smooth talking conman, Sawyer. Josh Holloway...well, he's something else, ain't he? I mean just look at this:



Yep. He'd be a pretty good Gambit.



How'd that get in there?


6. Roland Deschain, from The Dark Tower series by Stephen King





Who better to bring to the island than the last Gunslinger? Yeah, he might have his cold heart--but I don't think it can ever get any more badass than Roland. At least he'll be able to keep the lobstrosities ("dod-a-chok? did-a-chick?") from raiding the camp at high tide.

So...there you have it. My men. We'll be partying out in my inflatable zodiac. Until tomorrow then!

24 comments:

Ana said...

Thea, I love them all *love*
I was going to pick Joscelin and Gambit (GAMBIT! Gambit! ) for myself but alas, you were faster than the speed of light.

And oh, lord if Josh Holloway played Gambit I would die a happy woman. : D

lisabea said...

I need to read Outlander but ::whines:: it's so THICK and LONG. Usually I associate those words with all good things..but in this case I don't have the ability to handle it!

I should get the audiobook...

Nice pictures!

KT Grant said...

I am so far gone over Jamie! Not only was he amazing when we first met him barely out of his teens, but talk about the ultimate older man hero that is beyond sexy. I was majorily lusting after a man almost 60 and I was only in my mid 20's at the time!
And don't get me started on his red hair, his kilt, where he wheres nothing under it and how Clare was his first woman and last in his mind, body and heart.

Bev(QB) said...

Damn you, Thea! I've never re-read any of The Outlanders because they are so damn long. Same goes for the audio books. But reading your Jamie quotes has me itching to pick them up again.

Katiebabs has got it right. It's not just that he was such a great YOUNG strapping hero, but he's the ultimate older romantic hero too. And he has true mutual friendship and respect with Claire which is so seldom found in romance stories.

Oh, and speaking of older hotties, since you're claiming all the versions of the Batman, does that mean you get Clooney too?

lisabea said...

BevQB~ We can keep Clooney, right? He's way more up our alley, yes?

Silvery hair...mmmmm.....

KT Grant said...

I claimed Clooney a long time ago. Move along ladies!

Thea said...

Ana--Josh Holloway would be the ultimate Gambit. *thuds* Can you imagine? I'm drooling on my keyboard right now. And Joscelin...I'm not usually into the extreme pretty, but for the Casseline I would make every exception.

LB--you gotta read Outlander. Really. Seriously. I think someone brought it to the island...I'll make you an umbrella drink and you can get to it. The books are long, but they are so well-written, you don't even notice it's 5am and that's sunlight trickling through those drapes.

Katie--you've said it all. Something I love about the books is how we see Jamie and Clare in their youth, and then much older as parents and grandparents! Like fine wine, he only gets better with age.

Bev--I've only re-read Outlander and Dragonfly in Amber...it's such an emotional journey with these books, it's hard to stop! Before the next book comes out, I think I'll re-read A Breath of Snow and Ashes though:)

And yes, Clooney can come too. And yes, you and LB can have your way with him. Don't say I never did nothin' for ya!

KT Grant said...

One of the most heart wrenching scenes between Jamie and Claire was in the seconde book, Dragonfly in Amber, when Jamie sends Claire back to her home. OMG the emotion and feeling between these two are so intense!!!
Now I want to go back and re-read the whole 5000+ pages of this series!

Ciara said...

Oh, YES! Your taste in men is exquisite. JAMIE!!! I lurves him. Great quotes. Mmmmmm. Jacob! But that actor is too young. I know, I know. Jacob is 16 or so, but he's supposed to look a lot older so that I don't feel so squicky.

Great photos. I'll have to read The Dark Tower series so I can catch up.

Ciara said...

PS: I couldn't stand the second book. Knowing that he sends her back killed me! It was so painful to read. Heart breaking. And the baby part. Was there anything happy in the whole book? I don't think so.

little alys said...

Oh, oh. Batman AND Gambit. You got it going. Oh Remy, he's just so very...mmm....

Tracy said...

OH Jamie! He is one fine man. Fine man! I'm extremely jealous that he is in your tent but yet, I can come over and stare at him, so it's all good! :)

Jacob - as much as I love Edward I really did love Jacob as well. And I love the picture you chose for him - perfect.

Batman - of course you're going to take all of them - why wouldn't you? lol

Gambit - I LOVE him!!

I have to say I don't know the other two but by the pics you chose I can tell I'd like them!

Jenre said...

Jamie...Sigh...

PeggyP said...

Thanks for your list and comments, amusing and I agree with all choices.

I do highly recommend the Outlander series but for the uninitiated...Outlander starts slowwww. I've got a 25 page rule and I'm glad I made the exception for this book. I also highly recommend the audiobooks - Davina Porter reads them and she is perfect. These are always among Audible's topsellers for a reason! Don't get the abridged versions...bad, bad, bad.

Thea said...

Katie--*sobs* OMG, I was dying the whole book. Dragonfly in Amber is my favorite of all the books after Outlander (the first cut is the deepest, truly!) because of all the angst. Talk about cliffhangers too! I'm so very glad I had Voyager waiting for me immediately after finishing book 2. Och, Jamie.

Ciara--I so wish Stephen Strait could play Jacob. The actor they cast I guess fits the age requirement, but COME ON, he's LAVA BOY for crying out loud!

DO read the Dark Tower books--they are amazing :)

Alice--oh yes. Both Bruce and Remy are coming with me. Yummy! (Am I sick for bringing two comic book characters with me? LOL!! I don't care, it's my hut!)

Tracy--feel free to stop by and stare at Jamie whenever you want ;) Roland isn't much of a hero (actually he's an anti-hero and not a very nice guy), but I love him anyways--if anyone reads the Dark Tower books, once you read Wizard and Glass (book 4), you'll see why. Oh and the other guy, Joscelin, is a wonderful hero--I highly recommend the Kushiel books too!

Jenre--sigh, indeed :p

Peggy P--thanks :) I actually like Outlander's slow start--it actually seems more historical fiction to me than romance (though the romance is breathtaking)! I haven't heard the audiobooks--I'll have to give them a try :)

little alys said...

What's so sick about bring comic book characters? They (especially these two very fine gents) are perfectly acceptable. :D

LesleyW said...

I must get round to reading the Outlander series one day, I think I've only read the first three books.

It's funny about the Kushiel series, I read it despite Phedre being the heroine, as she completely gets on my wick.

Marg said...

Definite yes to Jamie Fraser and Jacob Black from me!

Kati said...

I couldn't remember who'd claimed Jamie. I always have this argument over who is the BEST. ROMANCE. HERO. EVER. WRITTEN.

I say Roarke.

My sister says Jamie.

Bev(QB) said...

I couldn't remember who'd claimed Jamie. I always have this argument over who is the BEST. ROMANCE. HERO. EVER. WRITTEN.

IIRC, Jamie won the Romantic Times poll a couple of years ago.

But, gee, mebbe tis time for the DIK version of that poll. Campaigns could be waged with absentee voting (aka a blog poll) open until Nov.4th.

Hmmmm... I wonder who else deserves to be Top DIK around here besides Jamie and Rourke?

:::gives evil laugh as she wonders if she's incited the DIK Ladies into a territorial ruckus::

KT Grant said...

MK and I came to blows one day over the fact that she stole Roake from me! Thanks Bev, for bringing all those bad memories!

Bev(QB) said...

Why, Katiebabs... whatever do you mean? I TRULY didn't intend for all that old DIK Mayhem to arise again! ::bats eyes innocently::

I was merely curious whether a DIK poll, which I'm sure would have far different Top DIK candidates than the RT poll had, would also have the same result. That's all.

I mean I'm sure men like Nate or Derek or V wouldn't stand a chance against Jamie and Rourke. But I was curious nonetheless. :-D

Ana said...

Sebastian St Vincent of course, no poll is complete without him!

Kati said...

*brushes Katiebabs' shoulder*

Wait...you've got a little bitter on you.

Didn't I loan you Roarke on your birthday?? Didn't I??

Copyright © 2008-2011 Desert Island Keepers All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP