Friday, October 10, 2008

Kidnapped! Ciara's Author Hut

When stranded on a desert island, why bring a limited number of books when I could bring authors to keep me flush with grand adventures? I better take one from each of my prefered genres. Here are six authors I'm kidnapping for my island hut:


1. HISTORICAL: Joanna Bourne

My favorite historical author. I would like to bask in her linguistic brilliance. The Spymaster's Lady + My Lord and Spymaster = WIN.

2. PARANORMAL: Meljean Brook

I don't really need to explain this choice, do I? Considering the blood that has been spilt and the feathers that have flown and the poor feather-duster-formerly-known-as-Michael. She can write us more heroes to fight over.

3. CONTEMPORARY: Lisa Kleypas

Completely moving stories. Will also bring kleenex.

4: URBAN FANTASY: Marjorie M. Liu

Intricate world building? Check. Evocative, lyrical prose? Check. Scary stories that keep me awake at night? CHECK. Fortunately I have six big strong heroes in my hut just waiting to be my knight in shining armor.

5. MIDDLE GRADE: J.K. Rowling

Haaaaarry Pott-ah.

6. YOUNG ADULT: Patricia C. Wrede

My favorite book growing up, besides Peter Pan, was Dealing with Dragons. I can't tell you how many times I've reread that book and the other three in the series. She is a master of world building (for anal plotters). Other great ones are her regency light paranormal YAs--Book 1: Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot: Being the Correspondence of Two Young Ladies of Quality Regarding Various Magical Scandals in London and the Country--that she wrote with a fellow author as a letter writing game. Maybe if I kidnap her she'd let me play too.

Now I must sleep and return early to my writing conference, where I shall ogle Julia Quinn from afar.

Which authors would you kidnap? One lucky commenter will receive an autographed copy of Mr. Cavendish, I Presume, which just hit #1 on the New York Times bestseller list (provided Ms. Quinn is autographing it at the book fair tomorrow!). Please leave a note in your comment that you would like to be entered for the drawing.

11 comments:

LesleyW said...

Hmmm, if I were to kidnap an author for my hut (hopefully not sounding to fan stalkery here). LOL.

Kelley Armstrong - because I would definitely miss the Otherworld series, and I already have Jeremy in my hut.

Also Patricia Briggs because I absolutely have to know how the Mercy Thompson series and Charles & Anna series carries on.

If you're posting outside the US please enter me in the drawing.

Ana said...

OOOOOOo I would totally bring Julia Quinn!! and Loretta Chase. and oh oh Linnea Sinclair. : )

Carolyn Crane said...

I'd kidnap Joanna and Meljean, too! And Lisa Kleypas - you've made some excellent picks. I'd also want Kresely Cole along FOR SURE.

Christine said...

Great idea, Ciara! And great author choices!

Definitely Lisa Kleypas for contemporaries!!

For paranormals, I, too, heart Meljean, but I'd also like to bring Nalini Singh and Larissa Ione. And Kresley Cole, too (great thinking, CJ!).

I second Lesley's selection of Patricia Briggs for UF. Maybe Ilona Andrews, too.

Middle grade: J.K. Rowling is a great choice. How about Lois Lowry and Kate DiCamillo? I love their work.

For young adult, I'd like to suggest Robin McKinely and Tamora Pierce.

Hope your having fun and learning a lot at the conference. I'd love to be entered in your drawing for Julia Quinn's latest NYT Best Seller! Thanks for the chance. :)

Tracy said...

Well it looks like I don't have to bring any authors since a ton of my favs are already here. :)

Great idea Ciara! I would add...JR Ward, Anne Bishop, Lynsay Sands and of course Erin McCarthy and Jennifer Crusie for some extra comedic relief.

KT Grant said...

Stephen King to tell us spooky horror stories around the campfire and scare the ever loving crap out of us!

little alys said...

Ciara - do you think you could be my twin sister separated at birth? All the same authors! Even Patricia C. Wrede!!! *Big Hug* Have tons of fun at the conference!

Joanna Chambers said...

Patricia Gaffney and I'd make her start writing historical romance again. Real angsty stuff. *daydreams happily*

Shannon said...

Great picks!

Since you are bringing Meljean, then I will bring Larissa Ione. I would bring Kleypas for my historical fix. Patricia Briggs, for sure. Suzanne Brockmann.

Christine- If we kidnap Robin McKinley can we force her to write a sequel to Sunshine?

The Bookworm said...

great picks for authors!
for paranormal romance I'd choose Gena Showalter :)
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

tetewa said...

Here are my picks: Sherrilyn Kenyon, Christine Feehan, Colleen Gleason and Dean Koontz!

Copyright © 2008-2011 Desert Island Keepers All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP