Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A winner! And Jeri's DIKs

And the winner of a signed copy of Wicked Game is...Mary Kate! Yayyy!! Mary Kate, just send your mailing address to me at jeri AT jerismithready DOT com, and I'll get it right out to you tomorrow during my weekly post office run (they love me there--NOT!).

Now for my Desert Island Keepers. This hurt a lot, because I am indecisive and a total book hoarder. Only 6? *weeps*

Well, here goes (in alphabetical order by title):

1. Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story by Christopher Moore. It's fall-off-the-couch-funny, but unlike a lot of comedies, the characters are richly drawn, and the romance is sweet and unexpectedly hot. At least, that's how I remember it.

2. Dogsbody by Diana Wynne Jones. My favorite book when I was a kid. It's about the dog star Sirius, who does something to piss off the gods, so they make him come to earth and live the complete life of a dog. Since then, Sirius has been my favorite star (not to mention my obvious choice in satellite radio).

3. High Fidelity by Nick Hornby. I love it for the music, but also for the ultimate guy's perspective on romance.

4. Ill Wind by Rachel Caine. Because I'd have to have me some David.

5. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. Favorite book in the world! His later novels are probably more polished, but having lived in London for six months, I loved the idea of a magical, terrifying world in the Underground.

6. Stupid and Contagious by Caprice Crane. I pulled so many muscles laughing at this book. It's considered 'chick lit' but really it's a romantic comedy. The two main characters are so neurotic and lovable. And as you can probably tell from the title, there's a healthy dose of Nirvana in there, too.

Since I spoke about my favorite hero (David from Ill Wind) on Monday, and my own hero Shane McAllister yesterday, and since I'm a huge music fan, I'll do my 6 Desert Island Keeper CDs instead of heroes.

Alphabetical by artist, since that's what Shane would do:

1. The Doors, The Best of the Doors - Is it cheating to bring a double album? The Doors, to me, are one of the few "classic rock" bands that sound timeless.

2. Eve 6, Eve 6 - The perfect album. It contains my favorite song of all time, "Inside Out." The riffs are infectious and the lyrics are phenomenal, especially when you consider that they were still in high school when they wrote them. (Anyone who can use the words "origami" and "abstruse" in a song and make it catchy has my vote.) "Open Road Song" has the best use of homonyms ever: I crack the window and feel the cool air cleanse my every pore/as I pour my poor heart out.

3. The Go-Gos, Beauty and the Beat - I used to listen to my LP of this every night when I was a preteen. I just bought the CD a couple of months ago, and I'm thrilled to say it's even better than I remembered.

4. Bob Marley and the Wailers, Legend. Hey, it's a desert island. Gotta have some reggae.

5. Nirvana, Unplugged in New York - You can really appreciate Kurt Cobain's voice and guitar work here without all the distortion. Plus, the repartee among the band members shows that they had a lot of fun together. A heartbreaking reminder of what was lost.

6. The Pogues, Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash - Because I need at least a little bit of Ireland wherever I go (though if we were on the island at Christmas time, it would have to be The Chieftains' Bells of Dublin).

7. Various artists, O Brother Where Art Thou? soundtrack. Sundays = bluegrass.

Thank you SO much for making me feel welcome here on the Island! I think this'll soon be the coveted new gig among authors, and I'm honored and flattered to be the first.

Have a wonderful holiday weekend, and enjoy your time with Evangeline!

19 comments:

Katie Reus said...

Anything with Bob Marley is all right with me! A little Marley, a little rum, and being stuck on a desert island isn't so bad after all ;)

Tracy said...

Congratulations Mary Kate - you're gonna love the book!

Now this is exactly why I love this island....I get to hear about books that otherwise I may not have known about! I'm going to be looking up more than a few of the ones you mentioned today, Jeri.

I love that you did CD's instead of heroes! I've not heard all of those albums, but The Doors, The Go-Go's, Bob Marley, Nirvana? Wonderful!

Thank you again soooo much for coming to visit us on the island - we've had a great time!

KT Grant said...

I love EVE 6! It is a shame they have disbanded :(
Lucky MK!

JenB said...

Fabulous book choices! Looks like I need to pick up a Neil Gaiman book. Everybody's talking about him this week.

And I absolutely *love* that Eve 6 CD. That and the first Matchbox 20 are two of my all-time favorites. And bluegrass? Hell yeah.

I've had so much fun reading your posts this week! :)

Kati said...

*booty shaking*

wOOt! Yay, I won! I won! Thank you Jeri!

I love the twist on CDs! And Beauty and the Beat would fit in perfectly with my Seven and the Ragged Tiger CD by Duran Duran!

Thanks for joining us Jeri, you've been a terrific inaugural guest author! Have a pomegranate margarita. They're the yummiest. Roarke mixes them up special, just for me!

Sarai said...

Aw thanks Jeri!!! We will miss you. And promise us when your next book comes out you will be back YES?

Congrats Mary Kate *green with envy* Let us know how you like it.

Yeah more books to read *cough* cause I need them. Great idea about the music I really love learning what other like to listen to!!!

AGAIN HUGE THANK YOU FOR COMING AND BEING OUR FIRST DIK AUTHOR!!!

Shaymless Aymless said...

Jeri - Love your picks. I really am going to have to pick up some Neil Gaiman someday!

Congrats MK! Will look forward to your review.

lisabea said...

OK you and i need to go out for drinks cuz you had me at Rum Sodomy and the Lash!!! OMG I loved that one back in the day. It's a brilliant choice! And Bloodsucking Fiends..and O Brother Where Art Thou...which I just typed into the post I wrote (!) and, hey, that Doors ? Oh that is so G and I circa our first...er....ca-noodlin.

YAY put your hut next to my m/m cabana!

Jeri said...

Katie: I agree, and I could sure go for some right now. Is it 5:00 yet?

Tracy: No, thank *you* for having me. Or did I already say that?

Katie(babs): Yay, another Eve 6 fan! Their last album didn't really grab me, so maybe it was time to call it a day.

JenB: Definitely check out Neil Gaiman. AMERICAN GODS is probably the best one to start with. Or STARDUST if you like faeries. I think that one has a nice romance in it, too. (I confess, I haven't read it--faeries give me the heebie-jeebies.)

Mary Kate: I am drooling, but over the pomegranate margarita or Roarke, I'll never tell. ;-)

Sarai: Sure, I'd be happy to come back for the next book. It looks like you're booked up for November, but maybe next May for BAD TO THE BONE? Maybe just a one-day thing, so as not to crowd out all the other authors who'll be dying to get on. I don't want to be a DIK hog. ;-p

Jeri said...

aymless: Glad you liked the picks! Definitely check out Gaiman. (See my previous response for specific recs.)

lisabea: wow, are we on the same wavelength or what? Thanks for the invite--I'll speak to the hut builders about that. :-)

Carolyn Crane said...

Wow! I just want to say, It's been so much fun to read about your book and your thoughts and this wonderful hero! One thing that really comes through is how much you love music.

little alys said...

Congrats to MK!!! Review it soon so we can all flood your blog. ;)

Oh my gosh, Jeri, you love Dogsbody too?!?!! It's one of my favorite! Thank you so much for coming! Especially now I know there's another fellow Dogsbody fan. :D My friends still cringe whenever I mention it.

LesleyW said...

I've never read Dogsbody but have a soft spot for Sirius the dog star. So may have to check it out.

And I agree with everyone else, Jeri, you've been a fantastic first guest on the island.

sula said...

High Fidelity! woot! I heart that book. And that movie. :-)

Thanks for being the first victim...err, GUEST...on the island. heh. *g*

Ana said...

Loved your book choices. I love me some Nick Hornby.

And I second on the Gaiman recommendations, everyone in the world should read at least one Neil Gaiman novel.

Ana, the Gaiman nazi.

LOL

Ciara said...

Congrats MaryKate! You have to let me know if Ciara is as cool as she sounds. ;)

Jeri - I haven't read a single one of your 6 books of choice. Ack! *TBR pile topples over*. From your music choices I can tell you'd do well here in Sea-Town. You should come visit and see the Experience Music Project at the Seattle Center. Bluegrass is the new grunge. We're in our own little music and rain-filled world. Thanks for chatting with us!!!

jessewave said...

I love Bob Marley and your other selections especially the Doors.

I certainly enjoyed having you on the island and am really sorry to see you go. Evangeline is going to have a very high standard to aspire to.

This time I didn't win a prize but maybe next time - really thought I had it in the bag that's how deluded I am :)

Bridget Locke said...

Hi, Jeri! Just wanted to thank you for coming on the blog. It was great seeing your POV and reading about your DIK (that sounds so naughty, doesn't it? LOL).

Christine said...

WTG MaryKate! Congrats!

Thanks for visiting the island, Jeri. I enjoyed your posts and thought your music twist to the DIK list is fantastic!

Copyright © 2008-2011 Desert Island Keepers All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP