Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Those Days When You're Just Not Feelin' It

As some of you know, I have been suffering from The Great Reading Slump of '09. It was BAD. Nothing could tempt my reading palette. That was back in July, August, and even September. Like a nasty flu bug, I have still not fully recovered. The books I have read are few and far between. The good news is that I have fully enjoyed them. Perhaps in this case quality is far better than quantity.

Not everyone has suffered through a full-blown slump. Sometimes you pick up a book and your mind starts to wander. The hero isn't tempting you. The witty banter isn't captivating you. Bottom line: you're just not feelin' it. It's like we tell men, at some time it happens to everybody. So what do you do when the ennui hits? Do you power through and read or do you direct your focus elsewhere?

For me, it's crafty shtuff. I pick up a skein of yarn and a crochet hook and let my mind wander. Other times it is paint and a canvas. I get my hands moving and my mind begins to clear. Often that's all it takes to bring me right back to reading.


What clears your mind or distracts you from the ennui? What is your prescription for those times when you're just not feelin' it?

6 comments:

Lea said...

Hi Shannon;

Great post! I've gone through some pretty significant slumps this year too, but it hasn't been from the "not feelin it". It has been from not enough hours in the day.

However when I'm really not enjoying anything I pick up to read I walk the pooches and enjoy some computer graphics stuff I "dabble" in. ("Dabble" is the key word). lol

Crocheting is a really great hobby too though..

Best
L

Shannon said...

Yeah, I know what you mean about not having time! This time of year (pre-holidays) always impacts my reading levels.

Rain Maiden said...

I usually go through a slump right after I read a really great book. I think I am in one right now. I think I will pick up a book thats in a different catagory.

Michelle Greathouse said...

I have, on occasion, gone through a reading slump. Sometimes it's just a case of 'overload'. What seems to help me is to read something completely out of my usual paranormal genre - for me that would be a thriller/mystery. There is something about a good whodunnit that puts me right back on track. :)

M

Chris said...

I'm glad you're easing out of your slump! I have noticed that I get more reading done when I'm in a knitting slump and more knitting done when I'm in a reading slump.

Tracy said...

I go shopping. Whether I buy anything or not the whole experience makes me want to curl up with a good book and some peace and quiet! lol

Copyright © 2008-2011 Desert Island Keepers All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP