Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Day 2 with Lori!

Since I'm still slightly hung over from the party last night I'm going to let Lori take it from here! *hiccup*

When Sarai told me I had to pick six books and six heroes I’d take to a desert island, my practical side said it should be a book/hero that could help me survive…perhaps a book on how to make a raft out of coconut shells, or a hero who knew how to catch fish with his bare hands. But what’s the fun in that? If I’m going to be stuck on a deserted island, might as well be with some wonderful books and even better men. So, what you’ve all been waiting for…my six books and heroes I’d take along to an island.

Jane Eyre— by Charlotte Bronte

Sure Wuthering Heights is all right, but let’s face, Heathcliff and Catherine are sort of asses. Plus, no happily ever after! WTH?! Now Jane Eyre…ahhhh, Jane is a character we can cheer for. Most people say Jane Austen started the romance genre, but I say Charlotte helped. In a way Jane Eyre defines the romance genre. The poor, destitute woman in need of love from a good alpha male, combined with the gloomy gothic atmosphere…doesn’t get any better. In fact, if you read my debut book, Wild Heart, you’ll see a lot of influence from Jane Eyre.

Pride and Prejudice— by Jane Austen

The perfect love story! Pride and Prejudice has inspired hundreds of romance authors. Even people who ridicule the romance genre know better than to say a negative word about Pride and Prejudice. Romance doesn’t get any better than the awesome sexual tension between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy. Okay, I’m ashamed to admit I’ve never actually finished this book as I’m lazy and can just watch the movie. But if I’m stuck on a deserted island, perfect opportunity to read!

Anne of Green Gables (can I take the whole series?!)- by L.M. Montgomery

I didn’t realize it when I was a preteen reading this series, but Anne was the precursor to my love of romance. Anne is the perfect dynamic heroine who won’t settle for anything but adventure and true love. Who wasn’t routing for Gilbert and Anne? I wanted to pack up and move to Canada after reading these books!

Guardian Angel— by Julie Garwood

Julie Garwood is my all time favorite author because of her talent and for sentimental reasons. As an impressionable teen, I read my first romance. That romance happened to be Guardian Angel, by Julie Garwood. I was mesmerized, in awe, thrilled. I felt like I had just discovered the city of Atlantis. Since then, I’ve read every one of her books at least twice, if not more. In college I pretty much ignored my classes and term papers in favor of reading romance novels. This was the start of my obsession!

Malory-Anderson Family Saga Series- by Johanna Lindsey

Do I have to pick just one? Okay…Gentle Rogue. Not long after I found Julie Garwood, I found Johanna Lindsey. Once again, those alpha males had me swooning. Gentle Rogue was the first of her books I read. The high seas adventure was particularly thrilling! And did I mention alpha males?

As for my last book…hmmm…Perhaps The Chronicles of Narnia. I loved those books growing up. But I also love to learn and I’m a natural science geek so the third book would probably be some sort of field guide on shells or something. Since I’d have plenty of time to search and identify shells. Or perhaps a self-improvement type book like The Art of Happiness with the Dalai Lama. A deserted beach would be the perfect place to meditate. ;)


Of course, if I had my top six heroes on this island with me, there might not be time to read. And who cares about reading if you get to spend time with these swoon worthy men! So who are my top six?

Edward Cullen from Twilight (or Robert Pattinson)
I would say Taylor Launter too, but he’s not legal. Yes, I really am sixteen at heart. ;) Most people agree that there’s nothing sexier than a vampire, although why, I’m not sure. lol. If you’ve read Twilight chances are you fell hard for Edward, a man who would do anything to protect his love. Plus, I figure on a deserted island I could use his super human strength. And there is always his skin that sparkles in the sunlight…perfect for contacting rescue planes overhead. Although, if I’m there with Edward, not sure I’d want to be rescued.

Mr. Darcy—Colin Firth or Matthew Macfadyen, either will do.
I have to be honest, I don’t know how well a pampered Englishman would do on a deserted island, but who cares! Darcy is sexy, brooding and arrogant as hell, the perfect combination…in a book. In real life we’d probably want to smack him. lol.

Any Julie Garwood Hero
Yes, I know, I’m obsessed with Julie Garwood. In my opinion, she has the perfect heroes. Alpha without being asses. I fall completely in love with every one of her heroes every time I read her books. She hasn’t written a hero yet I didn’t adore.

Leo—My Hero from Wild Heart
I know, pretty arrogant, picking my own hero. ;) But Leo is one of those alpha males I love so dearly. Leo grew up in the wilds of India. He’s strong, resilient and hot! When I wrote Leo, I pictured Brad Pitt from the movie Legends of the Fall. Unfortunately, on my cover they gave my dear Leo dark hair! So I had to go back through the book and change his hair color to dark. I haven’t been able to think of any “wild” dark haired men. Any ideas?
p.s. I know the picture of Brad Pitt isn’t from the movie, but damn! I couldn’t help myself.


Colin Finch—Hero from my second, untitled Kensington book.
Oh yes, I’ve done it again, picked another one of my heroes. Sheepishly grins. Colin is the opposite of Leo. Whereas Leo is brooding, Colin is charming— the kind of man with a killer smile. He’s also a world traveler and survivor. Oh yeah, and he has the power to heal, a useful skill. While writing this book, I kept picturing the handsome Australian actor Simon Baker. How cute is he?!

Gerard Butler
Okay, so he wasn’t in any books. Well, he was in the movie P.S. I Love You, which was based on a book, does that count? But let’s face it, that accent…that face…that charm…Gerard is definitely swoon worthy.

Now it’s your turn! Tell me your favorite book or hero.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning Lori! I've got many books and heroes on my DIK lists from Johanna Lindsey...I was totally addicted to her books years ago. They still have a special place on my keeper's shelf and are re-read lovely over the years.

:o)

MsM

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

Good Morning to you Ms. Lori!
Honey, you can add Gerard Bulter to anything and he will do just fine! LOL! Hell, I would even add him to my coffee if I could! And Edward and Brad... LOL!
I have a few favorites... Jennifer Lyon - Blood Magic (Axel) & Soul Magic (Sutton). Gena Showalter Lord of the Underworld series - Lucien, Maddox, Reyes, Paris, Aeron, Gideon... Whew, what a group of men! Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs (Charles, yummy). Charlotte Featherston - Addicted (Lindsay), Amanda McIntyre - Tortured (Dryston)... And the list can go on, but I'll stop there...

I do love your choices! Hope you are enjoying yourself at the island!!!

Edie Ramer said...

I felt the same thing about Wuthering Heights! And I loved Jane Eyre. It's been years since I read it, but when she suffered, I suffered with her. I wanted so badly for her to have a happy ending.

I googled, and The Thomas Crown Affair was a book, so I'll choose the Pierce Brosnan version.

Renee said...

Lori, what a great hero list (and book list too).

Eliza Knight said...

Hi Lori! You touched on many of my own fav heroes! Jane Eyre is my all time fav book, I also love anything Julie Garwood, Darcy, Gerard Butler, anything Jude Devereux, Ryan Reynolds (just saw The Proposal--Awesome!) Jeffrey Dean Morgan (the other accented hottie in PS I Love You)... I love heroes...

Jennifer said...

I cannot wait to read your second book to find out all about Colin!

Renee said...

I'm more of a Jacob fan than Edward, though not the movie Jacob, since Taylor Lautner looks too much like a Disney Channel star and not enough like a werewolf.

My few of my heroes here at the Island are:
Devil Cynster (Devil’s Bride by Stephanie Laurens)
Xia (My Forbidden Desire by Carolyn Jewel)
Ben Fortune (Crash Into Me by Jill Sorenson)
Elec Munroe (Flat Out Sexy by Erin McCarthy)

It's funny how Anne of Avonlea is so beloved. The stories aren't flashy, are extremely earnest, but always seem to strike a chord with us lovers of romance. I always thought the series was a great transition, between books like the Laura Ingalls Wilder series and adult novels.

Harris Channing said...

MMMM, I love it when people post beef cake!

Great list of books and great list of heroes!

Blodeuedd said...

Hi Lori,
Mmmmm I do like Mr Darcy, even if he has his nose in the air. He is still a hottie.

Oh and your heroes, gotta love them too of course would love to know more about numbetr 2.

Now who do i love...well yes Z from JR Wards books cos he is so messed up, I did fancy Valek from Poison Study by Maria Snyder. And love Fitz from Robin Hobbs books, I have this thing for tortured heroes.

Jane said...

Julie Garwood's heroes are the best. Gabriel, Alec and Lyon are a few of my favorites.

Lori Brighton said...

Thanks everyone for stopping by! This was def. one of the best blogs i've done! It was hard to narrow it down to six books and heroes. Tomorrow is my last blog :(

But, on a happy note I'll be giving away some books!

rhea said...

Great picks, Lori. There are so many great heroes out there, I cannot possibly list them all.

Kathleen said...

To your list I would add Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier and I have to agree about Mr. Darcy (I prefer the Colin Firth version)! Oh and I have to have plenty of the makings for Margaritas, on the rocks, no salt!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the Julie Garwood books and heroes. She was the very first romance author I read and will probably always be my favorite. I was a little upset when she stopped writing historicals and switched to contemporary suspense. She has put out a romance to back story the FBI books, but it's not the same. Her heroes are Alphas, but the kind I like. Strong and assertive without being jerks or needing to be brought down a peg by the heroine. Would have agree with the rest of your list too. I'd add Rebecca by du Maurier.
For my heroes, first choice Daniel Day-Lewis' Hawkeye from Last Of The Mohicans, then any and all of Julie Garwood's heroes.

SiNn said...

i dont have a favorite book Hero would be too many to list but my fav real life hero would have to be my better half

Katie Reus said...

I love that you picked Anne of Green Gables! That brings back so many memories :)

Sarai said...

I just loved putting da menz up it was so much fun! Oh and welcome to da island Lori

Copyright © 2008-2011 Desert Island Keepers All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP