Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Beth Kery Chats About Her DIK Books (Day 2)

Welcome back to our second day of fun and sun at DIK Beth!

I agreed to let Beth borrow my blowfish bikini top because she was eyeing my breasts during the luau festivities last night and I finally decided it was in everyone’s best interest just to let her wear it today… How’s the fit Beth?

Was I gawking? Sorry, I might have been having fem-bot flashbacks while looking at your fish. The fit is pretty good, Lea, and I have to admit, I’m feeling armed and dangerous, here.

LOL! Armed and dangerous fish lips, I'll have to remember that one.. *waggles brows*

Just so you know though, you cannot borrow Tori!

Dang!

LOL

So, without further adieu I’m turning the mic over to Beth, who is going to talk about her 5 favorite DIK novels she has brought along to the island.

My DIK’s.

Slow Heat in Heaven by Sandra Brown.

I’ll never forget reading this book; it had a huge impact on me as far as writing erotic romance. After years of wishing Sandra would write ‘more’ as far as sex, she actually wrote the word ‘cock’. As in Cash Boudreaux’s cock, and trust me, this hero’s sex organ couldn’t be called anything other than cock: he’s raw, elemental, rude and beautiful. I’d have to have at least one Sandra book with me, because I’ve read her forever, and I attribute my love of good old-fashioned romance and thick sexual tension to her. Practically every page is foreplay, so when the hero and heroine do finally get it on, it’s explosive. In addition, I love kissing scenes, and Sandra is the queen of the curling-toes kiss.


A Room with a View by E.M. Forster.

This is a timeless romance; the prose so spare and elegant one wonders how Forster packed so much meaning into a small book. I love it because it’s a story of the contrast between conventional life, and how things ‘should’ be on the surface versus the dark, inner world of wild longings and primitive sexuality. It has everything: humor, beautiful scenery, a prim and proper English girl who isn’t so prim and proper after all, who ends up sacrificing the world of staid parlors and polite conversation for passion and true love.

Snowbound by Larissa Ione.

I have a fondness for lovin-it-up in a snowstorm. While the desert island is nice, I’d need something to take me back to how it feels to cozy up with a great book during a blizzard…or with a hot guy. I love Larissa’s smart, sexy voice and the complexity of her characters. She doesn’t take the easy path, which I respect, and I’m so glad she didn’t in Sean’s case.


Persuasion by Jane Austen.

I know it seems trite to be a Jane Austen fan these days, but I have been a JA lover forever. Well…since high school. I’ve visited Jane Austen museums and traced the paths Anne Elliot walked in Bath. To me, Persuasion is Austen writing at her height of talent. I would bring Persuasion to the desert island as a reminder of the importance of character, and how plot can serve the purpose of character-building versus having characters merely fit into the plot-slots. At first glance, Anne seems bloodless and flat, and I so admire the way Austen finessed her character and growth, until by the end of the story we have an in depth portrait of a woman who while not perfect, has grown from her mistakes, and rightfully earned a second chance at love.

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley:

I’ll admit it: sometimes I just need a good cry. I ball my eyes out almost every time I re-read this book. I’m a real lover of the Arthurian legend, and this book, which does the myth from the female/matriarchal perspective, is just a plain and simple tear-jerker in addition to being sexy, violent, dark and spiritual all at once. And it’s a woman’s book; I cry for the stories that were never told.




Of course, you’ve gotta have someone to hate on a desert island, as well, and a sketch of Zimmer Bradley’s Guinevere would make for a great target for my home-made bow and arrow.

L: Oooh I think you would look so cool wearing the fish lips armed with a home-made bow and arrow. *wink*

Seriously though, awesome and interesting DIK book choices Beth!! I like the diversity of your picks. I love "A Room With A View", too and hadn't though about it in a very long time. Thank you so much for sharing. If you have any questions for Beth with respect to her DIK reads, or about her work I know she will be by and will be delighted to answer.

Please Note: Entries for the "Paradise Rules" Giveaway is now closed. Beth will draw and announce the lucky winner at her blog on Friday morning (*It will be up to the winner to contact Beth within 48 hours of the announcement at her blog).

When Beth isn't here visiting on the island she can be found at her website.

31 comments:

Mary G said...

Hi Beth
You have such varied taste there. I'm afraid all my DIKs would be the same genre & possibly even include the same author for 2 or 3 of them ;). Am I allowed 2 questions? What was the first book you wrote as opposed to the first you had published? I loved Paradise Rules as well as so many books of yours & while you have this wonderful style of writing you rarely use the same phrases again. How do you keep it so original each time?

Booklover1335 said...

Persuasion is definitely Jane at her best. I go back and forth between Persuasion and the obvious Pride and Prejudice as to which is my fav.

And A Room with a View...sigh. That is a great movie Passion, intensity and the beautiful scenery in Italy and England. Love it!

SusiSunshine said...

My tbr just grew again. *sigh* Loved your selection of books. I should definitely read more English classics. I always found it sad that we haven't read much of them in school. Another draw back of living in Germany. Since then bf and me are kind of hording them at home. Our apartment = school library LOL

Chris said...

*ahem* Because of the blowfish bikini picture location in this post? I totally read the title as "Beth Kery Chats About Her DIK Boobs."

Anonymous said...

I have been wanting to read "Mists of Avalon" since I saw the mini series a few years ago, did you see that? Is it close to the book?

MsM

Elaine G said...

Love the blowfish bikini top..you can poke an eye out with it if you're not careful ;)

I haven't read any of Beth's top.bad me :) But I have seen the mini series of Mist of Avalon.I love Arthur stories.

Can I still get a Koa mai-tai?

elaing8(at)netscape(dot)net

Lea said...

Hi Everyone!

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit Beth again today!

I love your picks Beth. "Room With A View" is one of my all time favorites too. And "Snowboud", is one of my keepers and actually a comfort read for me.

Have a great day everyone.

And Elaine, I think I can say, yes, lots of Koa Mai-Tai's to go around. ;)

L

Witchy Woman said...

Hi Beth, Hi Lea,

Hey, I want one of those bikini tops! After reading today's post- all I can say is finally, finally, finally! There is always endless sequels, and posts regarding "all" of Jane Austen's novels, but finally someone gives credit to my favorite "Persuasion."

Haven't read "Snowbound" yet, but there's so much buzz about it--I need to read it ASAP.

Can someone get me a drink with one of those little purple umbrellas?

Carolyn Crane said...

OMG, the infamous bikini top!
I love this mix of books, Beth! This is really wonderful. Some classics and some I've never heard of to try.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading the comments.
Ibtreasting books choices for your faorites. I would add Rosemary Rogers Sweet Savage Love to the list.
JWIsley(at)aol(dot)com

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

OMG... Beth! I love Sandra Brown. She was one of the first authors I found when I started reading romance... about 10 years ago. I absolutely love her books. And Slow Heat In Heaven, I remember fondly. As well as her others... Hawt!!!
The other ones, I will have to go in search of... Some of them I have never heard of before... SO thank you!
Lea, thanks for having Ms. Kery at the island. **sipping on my tropical cocktail, looking at the cabana boys **cough** men**

Blanche said...

Hi Beth and Lea!

Happy Day 2 on the Island! :)

Great group of books, I love Sandra Brown too...she is one of my very favorite authors! There are a couple of books on your list that I just added to my list!! :) Happy Tuesday everyone!

beth kery said...

Good Morning all! Is it cocktail time yet? Pass a Koa mai tai!

Mary--the first book I wrote (I have confessed in shame elsewhere) I threw away when I got a rejection from Harlequin. It was about a man who'd had an affair with a woman and she became pregnant, and then the women essentially ended up dropping the child in her sister's lap and abandoning them because the child was autistic. The love story is between the father--who discovers the child like eight years later--and the aunt who had devoted her life to the boy, and really done some amazing things to help the child adapt and function. There was conflict because of custody, etc., but the sparks really fly. I can't even remember what it was called.

Thanks for the kind compliment about original phrases Mary. Personally, I think I re-use stuff a lot, and it's a consant battle not to rely on my standard terminology. I think for most writers, it's hard, because we all have an inner voice and would describe certain situations in a consistent manner. Making a kiss or a touch different and unique for every pair of lovers is hard, partly because there are some commonalities in all kisses or whatever. I do the best I can!

Oh, Booklover, I'm so glad you like Persuasion, too. Anne is such an understated heroine. I've long been an admirer of quiet strength. And yes--Pride and Prejudice is always a delight.

Hi SusiS--sometimes it's better to read them as adults, anyway. I find that I missed meanings as a child.

Chris--hey, those fish-boobs are very topic-worthy.

Ms. Moonlight--the mini-series isn't great, but you know how it is when you're trying to pack so much into a small time period. I did love Julianna Margulies (sp?)as Morgaine--actually good casting all around. And there was that hot menage a trois, too bad it had to be Guinivere sharing Lancelot and Arthur. lol. (hated her in that book, but Zimmer Bradley expected me to).

Elaine--I'll have a refill on that Koa mai tai, as well!

Lea--you recommended Snowbound to me, and I so liked it. I don't think I've thanked you! It's still with me. I would have to bring a 'snow' book if I was made to be in endless sunshine.

Witchy Woman--ooh, another Persuasion lover! Cool. You watch the Koa mai tai's in this heat, now!

Morning Carolyn! :)

Oh, Sweet Savage Love--I stole it from my mother's private book case and inhaled it. lol.

Cecile and Blanche--Morning! I know about Sandra Brown! I swear, I've read every one of her books a zillion times. Right about the Hawt--that woman can brew up sexual tension like no other.

Tracy said...

I'll have to check out Slow Heat in Heaven. I'm a sucker for a great kissing scene and if it's toe-curling could I ask for anything more? :)

Great books!

Anonymous said...

another great day here
whoo
nice pic
great books
kh
kimehak@yahoo.com

Larissa Ione said...

Hi Beth!!! OMG, Snowbound is a DIK! *g* I'm so glad you liked it - and you said such nice things! *shivery* And okay...weird, I'm typing this up and just got your comment on Writeminded! LOL

Anyway, yay!!! And I gotta say, The Mists of Avalon is one of my all time favorites too. It's a beautiful book, both inside and out! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Lea and Beth!

Happy Day Two on the Island!

Mist of Avalon is a favorite and anything by Larissa Ione would be great to take. Wouldn't be complete without Jane Austin.

Have fun ladies!

Dottie :)

s7anna said...

Hi Beth,
I've been enjoying your blog posts as you've posted in various blogs in the last coupla weeks...I love the cover for Paradise Rules...it's gorgeous.

Happy Reading!!!
Anna Shah Hoque
s7anna@yahoo.ca

Chelsea B. said...

It seems I need to go book shopping-I haven't read any of the books you listed!

Fedora said...

Hi, Beth! Mists of Avalon was such an engrossing read! It took me a couple days to get through it, and I couldn't be interrupted! I keep hearing about Snowbound and need to get a copy! And hey, you look mahvelous in that bikini top, dahlin'!

LesleyW said...

I'm a recent convert to Austen so am sharing your enthusiasm. :)

beth kery said...

Tracy--I'm in awe of Sandra Brown's kissing scenes. Blistering. Even though I write erotic romance, I still think of kissing as the most delicious, sensual exchange.

Hey there, kh!!

Larissa--I complain about the snow a lot in Chicago, but if I didn't have a good wintery, steaming love story on the desert island, I'd be miserable. And hopefully you know I think you're a terrific writer, so I thought Snowbound fit the bill perfectly.

Hi Dottie! :) Nice to meet another Mists lover. I might have to pick it up here and have a good cry. LOL.

Hi there Anna. I know, bit annoying to turn around and see me every time, eh? lol. Thanks about the cover for Paradise Rules. I was very happy with it.

Chelsea--well, I know my taste isn't for everyone, but if you do read any, feel free to let me know what you thought!

Fedora--the first time I read Mists I didn't move out of the living room couch...all day and until 3:30 in the morning. Engrossing is right!

Lesley--oh, so glad you converted to the reading religion of Austenism. :)

robynl said...

thanks for the Koa Mai Tai. It hit the spot.

I love Sandra Brown's books so must get this one. Thanks.

Linda Henderson said...

I've got to go book shopping now. These all look like great books.

jeanette8042 said...

The blowfish bikini top looks fabulous!

SiNn said...

hi beth just stopping in to say hi and well tell you how awesome i think you are

Carol L. said...

Hi Beth,
Wonderful and eclectic choices. I have to put The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley on my TRL. Ad Snowbound looks very good. :) Great cover.
Carol L.
Lucky4750@aol.com

Amelia said...

Sandra Brown's Slow Heat in Heaven is one of the hottest books I ever read!! Cash is smokin'!

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

Great book choices - something for everyone or every mood.

Lea said...

Hi Everyone!

Thanks so much for visiting while Beth was on the island.

Entries are closed for the giveaway of "Paradise Rules". The winner will be announced at her blog tomorrow morning.

Best
L

Sandra Brown said...

Beth, thank you! But on a dessert island, forget the book. I'd want Cash!

All best,

Sandra

Copyright © 2008-2011 Desert Island Keepers All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP