Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Trying To Be Clever...

And not really succeeding. *sigh* To be completely honest I spaced about it being my turn on DIK again until Tracy reminded me. Thanks, Tracy! :)

So I've been trying to come up with something to blog about. I mean, there's gotta be something I haven't talked about. I think... Maybe... Man, I don't know! Eek! I hate having moments when I draw a complete blank & can't think of anything to say. For anyone who knows me...that is a very rare occurance indeed. *headdesk*

What to talk about? I could be completely lame & just put up pictures of half-naked men. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you. I like the pretty menz. :D


Okay, that didn't hurt. Mmm...pretty. Wouldn't mind waking up beside that in the morning. :)

Here's one for you. If you read my blog (the one under my name...not my review blog), you'll know I'm working on my first book. If you don't read my blog, well, now you know. I've been writing ever since I can remember and let me tell you, those first efforts are HORRIBLE! As in, I'd rather burn them than let anyone read them. They are safely hidden in a place nobody can find, including myself.

It's a 4-book series. It's also a paranormal. *ducks* Yes, I know. Paranormals are dying out, bladibladiblah. But you know what? I love paranormals. I've been a fantasy buff for years and the idea of the fantastical-meets-normal? So totally up my alley.

Weirdly enough, I came up with the idea for book 1 after an exceptionally vivid dream. And when I say vivid, I mean not only could I see & hear what was going on, I could smell and touch too. I woke up, picked up a pen and began writing down what I could remember. I had the basic concept immediately, but it literally took a couple dozen false starts before the idea gelled and became what it is now.

I've come to find out that I am so not a linear thinker and I can't believe it's taken me so long to figure that out. *headdesk* When I told my mom of this epiphany, she rolled her eyes & asked "You just figured that out?" Thanks a lot, mother. :~P

Instead of writing the book from beginning to end, I started out with the end and have been writing it backwards by scene. Amazingly enough, for the first time ever, I am this close to finishing my first rough draft. *hallelujah chorus* I am completely shocked and amazed. And feeling truly confident in myself & my abilities for the first time in my life.

Yeah, confidence has always been my biggest issue when it comes to everything & anything in my life. It's only been in this last year that I realized I'm a big, fat idiot and that if I'd gotten over this major hump years ago I'd be successful. I hate it when that happens. *sigh*

So anyone else out there have a major uh-huh moment & realized their dreams? Or is it just me?



I know, completely random hot guy, but dude! I'd so want him to come steal me away for a weekend...at least. :D

7 comments:

LesleyW said...

Bridget - I know what you mean about first efforts - I've got a drawer full that are never going to see the light of day. I don't think paranormals are necessarily dying out - there does seem to be some rebranding going on - urban fantasy romance. When I'm back to blogging again I may do a post about this.

I think there's always room for a well written story with engaging characters and an interesting world structure.

And congratulations on finding a way of writing that works for you. Now KEEP GOING til you hit the end.

Lea said...

Bridget!

Wonderful post. :) Congratulations on finishing your first draft and feeling confident about it.

You know I read an article about Stephanie Meyer a while back where she indicated the impetus for "Twilight", came from a vivid dream. So, you are certainly in good company. :)

I love paranormal and I certainly hope it isn't falling out of "vogue". I think there will always be room for facinating worlds with interesting characters in literature!

Sounds like you are on your way to achieving your dream!

I wish you every success!!

Best Regards
L

PS: Nice eye candy!

Tracy said...

omg love those menz! Purty!

BL - I love paranormals! They're dying out? Really? That sucks cuz I'm still buyin em! :)

Congrats on almost being done with your book! It's gonna be great!

Joanna Chambers said...

Writing book = hard. So just doing it is an achievement. Well Done! And I agree with Lesley - there's always room for good stories. Ignore the trendcasters. You should write what you love.

Bridget Locke said...

Ah, you guys are awesome. :)

I was being rather sarcastic in regards to PR dying out...especially when you consider just how many of them sell every month. :)

I'm very excited. I can't wait to get it all done and send it on its way. See if agents/publishers like it as much. *crossing fingers*

Carolyn Crane said...

Hey Bridget! Great post. I love when you just write about your life, and Congrats on almost being done with that draft. The first is the hardest, for sure. And how cool and unusual that you are writing it backwards!!

As for, a-ha moments, I have them all the time. I'm very clueless about things. Many of them happened on April fool's day, when I fell for EVERY single joke!!!

Bridget Locke said...

LOL! CJ-I scare myself sometimes. My brain works in weird & unusual ways. You think I'd be used to that by now. :)

Now I'm trying to figure out what to write for Day 2. *sigh* Any suggestions? :)

Copyright © 2008-2011 Desert Island Keepers All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP