Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Vampire Martini

I don’t know about you but I LOVE this month. Technically I think Fall starts in September but not where I live. Only in the past couple weeks has the humidity died and the air conditioning shut off on a permanent basis. And the weather changes are just the icing on the cake. October is all about Halloween which means fun costumes, old school (and newer) horror movies, Fall decorations, and…candy! Lots and lots of candy! I don’t have kids but I don’t need an excuse to buy all the fun treats. Forget about the Christmas month, October is usually when I pack on a few extra pounds.


In addition to the chocolately goodness, let’s not forget the fun cocktails! Solely for this blog, I did a bit of research (see the pictures!) and found the vampire kiss martini. It was tough but I suffered through making and drinking this awesomeness. I actually tweaked it a bit and if I’d been able to find something called the lycan or werewolf martini I’d have gone with that but this is still good too.



Vampire Kiss Martini Ingredients:

1 ½ oz. Raspberry Vodka,

1 ½ oz champagne,

Red food coloring,

Sugar,

Black licorice (or strawberries),

Cranberry juice (optional)



How to make this: Mix sugar and red food coloring together on a small plate. Pour corn
syrup on another small plate, then roll the rim of the martini glass around the corn syrup plate. Next, roll it on the sugared plate. The corn syrup will slowly drip along the outside of the glass creating a funky, ‘bloody’ look.


In a shaker mix the raspberry vodka and champagne, (and I added a splash of light cranberry juice for color) then strain into the glass. Garnish with a stick of black licorice or with a cut strawberry. After testing it I realized the black licorice tastes a bit gross so my vote is to
go with the strawberry. In addition, you can slice up additional strawberries and drop them in your cocktail to soak up the vampire goodness. They’re a delicious snack and healthy!


The original recipe is found here but please note that I tweaked it for my personal preference.


After I made this drink I remembered why I don’t miss bartending! It’s slightly more time consuming than making a regular martini or a simple mixed drink, but it’s fun for the upcoming holiday! Enjoy!

10 comments:

KC Burn said...

"Solely for this blog, I did a bit of research"... uh-huh... taking one for the team... ;) It does look like a fun drink, though. Maybe you should try inventing a werewolf martini!

Lea said...

Looks like a perfect DIK Halloween treat to me Katie! I too LOVE October and Halloween. Nice cool temperatures, pretty colors and spooky stuff going on = great fun!!

Great post!!

Katie Reus said...

Ha! You know me too well, KC ;) And I've actually been thinking about that. Maybe by the time Halloween rolls around I'll have come up with something

Katie Reus said...

Thanks, Lea! Maybe I'll bring it to the island next time ;)

Tracy said...

Oh that sounds great! Thanks for the recipe - this will be great on Halloween night when I'm really tired of hearing screaming children! :)

Katie Reus said...

That sounds like a fantastic plan, Tracy :)

Kristal Lee said...

Katie,
This concoction sounds great. Will have to try it Halloween night while watching Johnny Depp in Sleepy Hollow.
~k
www.kristalleeromances.com

Katie Reus said...

Ooh, that's a good movie, Kristal. I haven't watched it in a while but I'm pretty sure I own it on DVD :)

Kaylea Cross said...

I'm with KC. Research purposes? Liar liar pants on fire!

I still can't believe you were a bartender. You're way too cute to be put in the middle of alcohol soaked men.

Katie Reus said...

Hey, there were plenty of alcohol soaked women too, lol! And how do you think I made so many tips ;)

Copyright © 2008-2011 Desert Island Keepers All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP