Thursday, October 7, 2010

October foodfest

When I was working on Now I’m Hungry (aka Cooking with Ergot), I really got into food. Like love, it’s a uniting force. Every day, people get together and eat. Sometimes they talk, sometimes they zone out in front of the television, sometimes they dress up the salt and pepper shakers and enact plays (I’m not the only one, right? Right?).

*listens to crickets*

Umm...

Anyway, when I’m not playing with my kitchen accoutrements, I gather recipes for the sequel. It’s an on-again-off-again project. I can’t spend too much time on it, lest it distract me from Is It Done Yet? (a dangerous prospect. The plot bunny for that book gets cranky).

Sometimes when I’m having something exceptionally yummy, though, I can’t help but wonder about how it’d fit into a story.

In order to achieve a happy medium, I try to focus on foods that could fit into Is It Done Yet?. Recipes that could be made quickly and don’t distract you from your evil brother who’s returned from the dead to kill you.

Here’s one of the recipes I’ve come up for it:

Honey and mascarpone toast

Mascarpone cheese
Honey
Bread
Kosher salt

Toast the bread.

Hear a footstep out in the hall. Go and investigate. Discover it’s just your lover. Return to the kitchen in time for the toast to pop out.

Brush some mascarpone over it. Thin layer for me, medium layer for lover.

Hear another footstep. Investigate and find no one.

Search the house. Find no one except lover. Get asked if you’re all right.

Return to kitchen. Drizzle honey over the toast.

Try not to shriek (in manly way, of course) when lover sneaks up behind you.

Add a pinch of salt to toast. Throw a pinch at him.

2 comments:

Kris said...

"Recipes that could be made quickly and don’t distract you from your evil brother who’s returned from the dead to kill you."

LOL. I'll eagerly await a cookbook on this theme. ;)

Tracy said...

The toast sounds good! I love food so any recipe is great. :)

Copyright © 2008-2011 Desert Island Keepers All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP