Thursday, October 21, 2010

Things That Make You Go Hmmm…

Halloween is drawing near. For those of you who don’t celebrate, let me explain Halloween in the simplest of terms. Halloween is a time of year when children dress in costume and go door to door saying Trick or Treat in exchange for candy. But it’s also a time when adults can act like children and believe in the unbelievable. Halloween is rooted in ancient Celtic festivals as well as the Christian All Saints Day; both holidays focus on the afterlife and those who have passed away. Even if you don’t believe in ghosts, spirits, or the afterlife, come October a person tends to think twice about that spooky sound or that shifting shadow.

When I was a child we lived out in the country near a Victorian era mansion. People came and went, but no on ever lived in the mansion for long. For thrills, we’d sneak over when the place was empty and tiptoe around the grounds, hoping to spot a ghost or two. Alas, we never did.

A couple years ago I searched for information on that mansion to see if it was still there. Funny enough, I found it mentioned on a site for haunted places. The history of the mansion is varied…the owner was crazy and killed people, or some people believe the owner was a saint who helped with the Underground Railroad. A few people mentioned seeing odd, inexplicable lights in windows when the building was empty.

But what really caught my attention was a post by someone who mentioned not the mansion, but the insignificant house across the street. It is a plain, one story home and its origins are as mysterious as the mansion across from it. More importantly, it’s the house where I lived until I was eight. I don’t know how old the house is, or why it brings about such anxiety in people who drive by, but I do know they’re not the only ones to have felt something supernatural near the place.

When I was a child I saw more than one bizarre thing while living in that one story home. Toys floating across the room and yes, ghosts. An old man who appeared and then disappeared just as quickly. Dark shadows that showed up in the middle of the night. One evening a pack of dogs arrived out of nowhere. Standing outside of our home, they barked and growled like they’d gone mad. I can still remember how shocked and terrified we were. The neighbor came over to scare them off. A little while later they were back. Of course the ghosts and the toys floating across the room could have just been my overly active child’s imagination.

But I’m not the only one who has had odd experiences. Years ago a distant relative (Aunt Cha, we call her) was fast asleep. In the middle of the night she was woken by a friend who was standing at the end of her bed, shaking Aunt Cha’s foot. The friend told Aunt Cha that she had died. Aunt Cha woke up the next morning and I’m sure you’ve guessed it, finds out her friend, the very one who paid her a midnight visit, had died. I swear even now I think twice before sticking my foot outside the covers at night. Because I’m such a firm believer in traditions, I told my son Aunt Cha’s story and then called my nieces and nephews to tell them. So now none of them will sleep with their feet outside the covers. Gotta love tradition.

Recently we went on two ghost tours in which a guide walks you around a historical town, tells you stories and shows you sights where spirits have been spotted. It got me thinking, if there are so many stories and so many people who have seen ghosts, is it a product of our overly active imaginations, or could they possibly be real?

So I’m eager to hear your thoughts about ghosts and other inexplicable things! Any weird experiences? Any ghostly encounters? Leave a comment, two people will win an Ecopy of my newest release, The Ghost Hunter.

Eager to get in the mood for ghosts and other things that go bump in the night? Read the blurb for The Ghost Hunter below!

When Ashley Hunter inherits the Inn where her father mysteriously vanished years ago, she jumps at the chance to finally uncover the truth about his disappearance. But soon after taking ownership of the decrepit building, Ashley realizes she’s in for far more than she bargained. Not only has she inherited answers to many sought-after questions, she’s also inherited spirits, demons and even fallen angels! Then Cristian arrives, a gorgeous man who insists he merely needs a room to rent. She believes him, until one by one her ghosts start disappearing...

As a fallen angel destined for a life of servitude, Cristian Lucius is relegated to protecting earth from unwanted spirits. But he can’t accomplish this daunting task alone. He requires assistance from the very woman who frustrates him as much as she intrigues him. Cristian is determined to ignore his intense attraction for Ashley, and focus on his mission. If they don’t work together, they won’t have a chance in hell of defeating the demon threatening their lives. The problem is getting Ashley to trust him. No easy task, considering Cristian is the very man responsible for her father’s disappearance.

5 comments:

Harris Channing said...

I believe in ghosts and I visit old houses and take oodles of pictures hoping to capture one! Gerat story about the Victorian mansion. Sort of eerie that they'd mention your house too! WHOOOO OOOOO OOOOO~

Anyway, I've read THE GHOST HUNTER and loved it! It's a great story. I'm hoping for another in the series???

Tracy said...

Lori I swear I'm gonna pause every time I stick my feet under the covers now thinking about Aunt Cha's foot. lol That's too weird.

Thanks for joining us today! I'd love to read The Ghost Hunter so please count me into the giveaway. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't believe in ghosts in the traditional sense of them being the spirits of the dead. That being said, I definitely think there's a lot of spooky stuff that happens that can only be explained by the supernatural.

The Aunt Cha story is creepy! I think I'll be keeping my feet under the covers for a while, too. I also jumped into bed from about 3 feet away for months after I saw the Sixth Sense. (I was 16 at the time, I'm afraid.)

Estella said...

I have never encountered a ghost or had any weird experiences.
I'm glad I don't sleep with my feet out from under the covers.

Bookwyrm369 said...

That's so creepy!! I'd have to see a ghost before I'd believe in them.

smaccall@comcast.net

Copyright © 2008-2011 Desert Island Keepers All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP