Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Regency Romance Hero


Today, let us examine one of my favorite specimens of the romance genre, that of the Regency Romance Hero.

Species: The Regency Romance Hero, who is either a Rake or a Spy. (Remember, darlings, that Repentant Rakes make the best husbands!)

Appearance: Dressed to the nines in the most fashionable cuts of his year, the Regency Hero sets fashion standards in the Ton, even as he disdains society's pomp and whirl. His dress is typically from the English fashion plates of the years 1790 to 1820, but may well include the period of time when the Regent became King George IV, from 1820 to 1837. Expect polished black Hessians and an impeccably turned out cravat. His hair is unfashionably long.

Habitat: Never Almacks or anywhere matchmaking mammas can be found, at least until the parson's noose is about to descend over his handsome head. Unless, of course, his last name is Bridgerton, you may find him at the seediest hells, the most exclusive brothels, and his club, Whites. He spends his days gambling, whoring and drinking brandy. He may have an unfashionable business on the side, or, if he is a spy, occasionally make reports to Whitehall on the Napoleonic plots he has uncovered.

Favorite Phrase: Bloody Hell!

Heroine: Either a Hoyden or a Bluestocking Spinster. If the former, the fashion plates are based on her latest habille. If the latter, she wears glasses and dresses two years out of season. She rebels against the strict rules society has placed on her. Egypt is a passion of hers. She is often found caring for an aging, out-of-touch scientist father or her orphaned younger sisters. Odds are good she is a virgin.

Villain: Napoleonic spies, conniving ex-suitors, and evil stepmothers

The cream of the crop, six Regency Romance Heroes I would love to conscript to my hut:

1. Rupert Carsington
from Loretta Chase's Mr. Impossible. A Regency-era Indiana Jones, this Egyptologist is both witty and endearing. What luck! I already have him in my hut. :D

2. James Cordier
from Loretta Chase's Your Scandalous Ways. A world-weary spy, witty as all Chase's heroes are.

3. Alex, Lord Raiford
from Lisa Kleypas's Then Came You. A notorious English lord, who turns out to be a sweetie pie.

4. Capt. Sebastian Kennett
from Joanna Bourne's My Lord and Spymaster. A spy! A handsome, witty one!

5. James Durham, Viscount Sanburne
from Meredith Duran's Bound by Your Touch. A bored, fashionable Rake. (who is apparently Victorian. whoops! he can be an honorary regency hero in my heart.)

6. Connor Kincaid
from Teresa Medeiros' Some Like it Wild. A brawny highland highwayman in a kilt. Yum!

Which are your favorite Regency Romance Heroes?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Great post! I'll have to think on my favorite, however.

Anthea Lawson said...

What a fun post! I loved your sketches of the hero and heroine. :)

Just a little quibble on dates (us historical authors are annoyingly nitpicky about this stuff!)

George was king only until 1830. His younger brother William took the throne then, until William's death in 1837, when the young Victoria became queen.

It's good to note that stylistic periods often spill out over the edges of particular reigns. Still, the Victorian era is generally acknowledged to begin in 1837. :)

Thanks for bearing with my pedantry~

Joanna Chambers said...

Great post.

You really oughtn't to ask for my fave Regency heroes cos there are too many - I'll try to keep it to 5 but I could give you 20 easy!

1. Jervaulx from Flowers from the Storm
2. Vidal from Georgette Heyer's Devil's Cub (plus many other Heyer heroes)
3. Dain from Lord of Scoundrels
4. Wulfric Bedwyn from Slightly Dangerous
5. Easterbrook from Madeline Hunter's Sins of Lord Easterbrook
5.

PS - Sanburne is a Victorian.

Ciara said...

Barbara - thanks!

Anthea - another reminder why I decided to write paranormal, where I can make everything up. Dates do not stick in my head. I love reading historical, but the details escape me! sorry!

Tumperkin - Sandbourne is victorian? oh dear, well, sorry again. Wulfric Bedwyn is a great choice. I loved that book.

Anonymous said...

That was a fun post! I have been wondering my own list lately and agree with both Wulfric Bedwyn and Rubert Carsington. I also love Captain Robert Carroway (Suzanne Enoch's England's Perfect Hero). He is my all time favourite!

Copyright © 2008-2011 Desert Island Keepers All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP