Friday, October 7, 2011

Unedited, Uncut and Naked as Jay Bird.


Owner and Executive Editor of Hellfire Publishing
Unedited, Uncut and Naked as Jay Bird.

Interview by Robin Renee Ray

I would like to give a warm welcome to Ms. Dawn Binkley...aka…Keira Kroft. Novelist, Publisher, Comic Book store owner, and all around family woman…did I forget to mention that she is also Hellfire Publishing executive editor.

Robin: Hello Dawn. How are you today?

Dawn: Hello Robin, Look at that hotness on the side over there…I love it here.

Robin: I think my first question to you Dawn, is how on earth do you find time to be such a multi-tasker and get it all done?

Dawn: I do not. I have been blessed with the most wonderful people on this earth. There are writers, just like yourself that are patient with how long it’s taking us to get the company up. Then there’s my husband who brings home dinner, my daughter who helps out whenever and where ever she can. And don’t ever let me fool you, besides all the people and friends that help me, I actually have a personal assistant, she is also an HP editor—Jen Hart. I have a bevy of writers that help with the HP task. I think it’s harder to keep track and pay homage to the all the people that help, than it is to actually do what I need to do.

Robin: How long have you been writing?

Dawn: Almost seventeen years.

Robin: Did being a novelist have anything to do with you getting into the publishing world?


Dawn: Actually no. Wanting to help other writers is what got me interested in the publishing business. So maybe in a roundabout way, because had I not become a writer I probably wouldn’t have understood their peril, like I do now.

Robin: With all that you do, can we look forward to another novel by Keira Kroft?

Dawn: Oh, yes, Inamorata is due out and November the first in a vampire trilogy, entitled One Bloody Night. Like the title each story will take place in one night.

Robin: What’s your favorite genre and why?

Dawn: My personal favorite is horror, the darker, the scarier, the better. But I was struck by a romantic muse for my first story.

Robin: What writer/person has inspired you the most when it comes to you being a novelist?

Dawn: I am always asked that, but I haven’t been inspired by any other writers.

What does your family think about all that you do?

Dawn: Thank you so much for asking about them, they are very supportive.

Robin: I have to ask…is it easier or harder to edit others work compared to editing your own?


Dawn: Its apples and oranges, its hard work to edit someone else’s work, but to edit your own is impossible.

Robin: Also you have the Hellfire Herald that gives information about the life of an editor and allows others to ask in-depth question about what the writer needs to expect when dealing with an editor. My question is simply this…Have you ever thought about writing a ‘Guide’ book of sorts? I personally think you would be doing writers around the world a great favor if you did…

Dawn: I’m more of a roll up my sleeves and get down in the dirt kind of gal. In other words I’d rather stand side by side with another writer helping them, then put out a book that just gives you advice that you may not understand on your own. I suppose if I had the opportunity to help a mass quantity of writers, then in that case I would. If you notice when I give advice it’s in a blog or personal e-mail and also AAPA has a forum. Because when talking about someone’s career it’s not only a two way street between you and the other person you are helping, it is also a subject that should be broached by more than one side. The writer can benefit from many opinions along with what they know and they feel in their gut.

Robin: Is there anything that you would like to ask your Fan’s, or maybe give advice to those who are just starting out and have hit that point of ‘quitting’?

Dawn: To the fans, can we go for a beer sometime, maybe shoot a game of pool or two? And to new writers, take some quiet time; decide if writing is what you want to do with your life. If it’s not you will find what is for you. But if you really, really want to become a writer, never ever quit. Whatever your dream is, if you want it and you believe it, you will get it, I promise you.

I can’t thank you enough for sharing a little of your world with us, Dawn. You can all learn more about Dawn and ‘all’ of the work she is involved in by following the links below.

One person will win a download of Bloodbreeders: Living In Darkness by Robin Renee Ray and a download of Glow in the Dark, by Keira Kroft
Please be sure to leave your email addy with your comment....


You can find Dawn at:
http://www.hellfirepublishing.com
www.http://hellfireherald.blogspot.com/
dawn@hellfirepublishing.com

2 comments:

Bookwyrm369 said...

Wow! I'm so impressed with all the different things you do :-) Which work hat do you enjoy the most - writer, publisher, or owner? Thanks for the giveaway!

smaccall AT comcast.net

Anonymous said...

Great interview, Dawn and Robin Renee! best from Sharlana Williams

Copyright © 2008-2011 Desert Island Keepers All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP