Monday, August 15, 2011

Getting to Know You... Getting to Know All About You

Hello everyone!  It’s D.L. from The Romance Girl’s Guide to Fiction back on the Island for the next few days.  I was scheduled to pop by last May, but my pesky final exams got in the way.  Quick thanks to everyone at the Island for picking up the slack and covering for me.

Looking back over my first stay on the Island, I posted about people’s reactions to romance readers, my love of John Matthew, and dislike of Scorpios, but I never did an official introductory post.  So without further ado…

Ten Facts About D.L.

-So some of the basics: I’m a 21 year old English major.  I’m not sure what I’m going to be doing after I graduate, but I’m not going to be a teacher or a journalist.  For some reasons those are the two things people always assume English majors are going to be…

-I have a cat named Abyssinia.  How did she get that name?  There’s that scene in Sense and Sensibility where Margaret crawls out from under the table declaring “the source of the Nile is in Abyssinia!”  Haven’t seen the movie?  Well, you better get on that.

-I have four false teeth.  Two are implants and two are veneers.  They’re not cosmetic; I was born without two teeth, thus the implants.  My before and after pictures are on my dentist’s website!  And it’s always fun to tell a guy I have “implants” on a first date.  The reactions are priceless.

-I love bad paranormal movies.  And I mean real bad ones.  Not the campy ones, but the ones that take themselves seriously.  Daybreakers, Constantine, Priest… Bring ‘em on.  I can’t get enough.

-I hate wearing shoes, both indoors and out.  But when I walk barefoot indoors, my heels don’t touch the ground.  I walk on my tip-toes.  It looks a bit odd, but it does make me look a bit taller though!

-Just like Bet Me’s Min was waiting for her reincarnation of Elvis, I’m waiting for my reincarnation of Cary Grant.  Or Humphrey Bogart.  I’d be happy with either.  I love classic films.  I would have loved to have lived in the 40’s, except for the sexism… and racism… and war…

-I have no fear of snakes or large spiders, but bunnies used to frighten me.  I’ve gotten over that fear, but I’ve always wondered myself where the fear of rabbits came from.  Watching Monty Python one too many times?

-I love love love spicy food.  I can eat a jalapeño straight.  Buffalo wings are my weakness.  My friend and I used to go to Buffalo Wild Wings so often that we had a regular waitress who knew are usual order.

-My mom helped me make my junior year prom dress… out of camouflage fabric.  My high school sweetheart had a matching vest.  All the photographers told us we were the cutest couple they had seen that year.

-I’m a huge Iditarod fan (ya know, that dog sled race up in Alaska… think Balto!).  My mom and I follow it obsessively.  We have our favorite mushers and Iditarod families and we make bets.  I won this year.  Oh yea.

Want to know me better?  Come back tomorrow for my next post, or visit my blog, The Romance Girl’s Guide to Romance, where I occasionally remember to post.

2 comments:

Aurian said...

Nice getting to know you :) I also dislike wearing shoes. And drive my car barefooted. (But take shoes with me for afterwards).

Tracy said...

My hubby LOVES spicy food - as long as it has the flavor to go with the spice. When were dating we went to a restaurant that had cajun fettuccine. He was sweating it was so hot but he just kept saying how good it was. lol

Glad to know you better!

Copyright © 2008-2011 Desert Island Keepers All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP