Friday, February 18, 2011

Urban Fantasy Glom

Out summer starts around November/December and usually through to late March, sometimes early April (if we're lucky) here in the Antipodes. Although admittedly, it's been a bit crap lately. I've had some lovely, long days in the sun, listening to the dulcet tones of the fucking cicadas that start up at 6 each morning with my nose firmly planted in a book. People here in NZ often have loads of January off, which has meant plenty of time to trawl through book stores, in the city and online.


After reading mainly gay fiction for a year or three, I've finally picked up some vamp, were and ghost fiction with kick ass heroines and stories that unfold gorgeously over several novels. Augh. Its kinda cool, because I've not read this genre for ages, there have been authors back lists to glom my way through. How neat is that?

Thanks to Kris, I picked up the Ilona Andrews Kate Danile's series which is brilliant. Slow, rich and a book that has really rekindled my love of Urban Fantasy. The latest book in the series is to die for. She is so clever and I adore Curren. Merow. I did have to get the poxy UK covers unfortunately. Bleh. And the 4th book has a different cover, so they don't all look the same on my shelf. HORRORS. But, books I highly recommend. Her new series is cool too, quite different and all contained in one novel, not over several. But, loved them too.

The next series I've got into is Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassin series. It's a little different, less romance, but the heroine Gin kicks ass and the overarching story is engrossing. While some of the plots of the individual books are perhaps not as innovative as Ilona Andrew's books, they still awesome reads and I am really looking forward to the 4th book which is out later this year.

Stacia Kane's Downside Ghosts series was often hard going and grim, but I'm a fan. I feel so conflicted about like Chess, the heroine. She's a drug addict and kinda self centered, and I deplore some of her choices. The world building is grim and gritty and the speech takes a little getting used to. It took a little getting into, but it feels very fresh and something just a little bit different. I think one of my current favourite heroes ever has to be Terrible. He's so cool!

Chicagoland Vampires by Chloe Neil is a little lighter, but not too fluffy. The characters are super engaging and there is plenty of interesting secondary folk. Again, I've really enjoyed a story that unfolds over several books. Something to get my teeth into.

Finally, Karen Marie Monings final book in the Fever series. Throughly enjoyed it! I LOVE these books. I'm dying to know what she's going to release next. Any clues?

If you've any recs, do leave a comment. I'm on a binge, so feel free to feed my credit card bill. Enabling is a good thing. Truly.

7 comments:

Jenre said...

My favourite UF books are the Jaz Parks series by Jennifer Rardin. Jaz has such a wicked sense of self-depreciating humour. Plus she's totally kick-ass without being all perfect with it.

JenM said...

I tend to gravitate toward the darker UF books and from your list, it looks like you do also. Most recently, I read and loved Bitter Night by Diana Pharoah Francis. The second book in the series, Crimson Wind, just came out but I haven't read it yet. In tone, the series seems kind of like Jennifer Estep's books (which I also love).

Mandi said...

Wow - you hit on ALL of my favorite UF series!!!

Sarah said...

Hey Jenre, ta for the rec. I'll check her out, sounds awesome. Always on the look for new books!

Sarah said...

Hey there Jen, I think I've become a little more drawn to darker UF books. Just something a little more gritty and characters to get engrossed it. Light and fluffy is ok occasionally, but I prefer something a little more challenging!

Sarah said...

Mandi, I have trawled through a few of your rec's recently! Great minds and all that, lol. :)

LesleyW said...

LOVE Urban Fantasy.

I'd second Jenre's recommendation for the Jaz Parks series by Jennifer Rardin.

And if you haven't read it the Mercedes Thompson series by Patricia Briggs, starting with Moon Called.

And the Darkyn series by Lynn Viehl, starting with If Angels Burn. (Though I think you either love this one or hate it).

Copyright © 2008-2011 Desert Island Keepers All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP