Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Author Kendra Leigh Castle - Day 2!

Author Kendra Leigh Castle is back to share more about the books she loves and second day on the island!


Kendra writes: It’s my second day on the island, and I’m busy lounging in a hammock and sipping yet another margarita. Okay, and trying not to think about the guyliner-wearing pirate who went streaking around the island last night. Not that the view was bad, mind you. But the rum’s gone, and I really don’t want to have the “Why is the rum gone?” discussion again when he wakes up. My own little entourage of heroes is still passed out in the hut. Of course, that’s what I get for creating so many men who are basically nocturnal. The werewolves will be out eventually, though the brothers MacInnes, Gideon and Gabriel, did some serious damage to themselves last night when we all decided to play poker. I think my dragon-shifter, Lucien, got a black eye out of the deal once they figured out he’d been cheating, and I had a hell of a time convincing Bastian, who also happens to be an ice mage, that drowning him was not an acceptable option. They all have heroines waiting for them on distant shores who would like it if they didn’t kill one another, and my husband is going to be pretty pissed off if I wind up in jail as an accessory to murder. I’ll never understand how we all ended up dancing around that bonfire. Well, except that someone convinced me to unearth the rum that Ms Moonlight and I had so cleverly buried. Hmm.

Anyway, for right now, I’m just going to enjoy the sun, the warm breeze, and the five favorite books I was told I could bring to entertain myself with. Though it was hard to choose, I thought I’d share what I brought:

Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen-
I know, this is so boring of me, right? Almost everyone loves this book. Still, I’d be lying if I didn’t admit it was a favorite. I never, ever get tired of watching Lizzie bring the proud and adorably clueless Mr. Darcy to heel. Possibly the most well-matched couple in the history of romance, and the end of the book, in which we learn what happens to Jane and Lizzie after marriage in some small way, is a treat that the movies really should have incorporated.

The Prize by Julie Garwood-
Julie Garwood is the reason I write romance. That is not an exaggeration. I started getting into my mom’s Garwood collection when I was in, like, sixth grade, and ever since then her charming, quick-witted, and inevitably clumsy heroines have been my idea of the ideal heroine. Likewise, her gruff Alpha Male heroes who hide hearts of gold formed the basis for how I think about and create my own heroes. The best Julie Garwood books make you go “Awwww” and tug your heartstrings, but they also make you laugh. To me, The Prize is pitch perfect, the story of a Saxon noblewoman who has to deal with the fact that her home has been given to a Norman baron. I love the scene where the king lets Nicholaa pick her own husband, and the increasing expression of horror on Royce’s face as he realizes where she’s heading.

The Stand by Stephen King-
No, it’s not romantic. But about once a year, I sit down and re-read what I consider King’s finest work (and I like a lot of his books). It’s post-apocalyptic, frightening as hell, and moves me on levels that most writing just can’t reach. Makes his charcters really live and breathe to the reader is Stephen King’s special gift. I know that they’re fictional, and yet I have never stopped wondering what happened to Frannie, Stu, Tom Cullen and the rest after the book’s haunting close.

Warrior’s Woman by Johanna Lindsey-
It’s old now, but I still love this book (and its Fabio-tastic, 80s purple eyeshadow explosion of a cover). It’s in a place of honor on my keeper shelf because it’s the first romance I read that really pushed the boundaries of what I’d come to expect in the genre. I was usually reading about lords and ladies, or cowboys, or even sheiks or Vikings. Very cool, but grounded at least a little in history. Then came this amazing book in which the heroine was a kick-ass futuristic Earthling and the hero was the ruler of a bunch of sexy alien barbarians. Once I’d read it, I wanted MORE. The next book, Keeper of the Heart, was just as awesome, but this book, I am convinced, made me a paranormal romance writer. And every time I read it, I still think that Tedra and Challen rule.

The Sandman by Neil Gaiman-
Okay, this is a little bit of a cheat, because it’s one story, one graphic novel, separated into volumes. That’s because it was actually a comic back in the early 90s, though when I used to think “comic” I’d think of Superman or something, not this surreal, fascinating journey with the family that is the Endless: Desire, Death, Delerium, Despair, the wayward brother Chaos, and most of all, Morpheus, the King of Dreams.

These are my picks for the island…now let’s hear about yours! What book would you bring?

17 comments:

Jessica said...

Sorry dear Kendra, but you set your self up for this one...all of your books...of course, would go anywhere I go, especially the island. I would have the Cat Chronicles by Cheryl Brooks, and Lisa Kelypas' Wallflower books, especially The Devil in Winter, my favorite of the series. Then there is Stephen King, you are right The Stand rocks. His autobiography is pretty good too. I have too many authors I TRY to keep up with (about 183 so far) can you tell I love to read...if I didn't write down stuff...well, I might miss something,can't have that!

Hope you enjoy your day in the sun, it's not supposed to get above 40 here. Burrr!!!

Anonymous said...

Good morning Kendra!!
I like your book picks. Prior to my coming to the island I had to come up with a list of books I'd bring- those are available on DIK.
But since that list, I've read many more wonderful books that I'd like to add to my list of books to bring to the island.
Topping that list are ALL the 'Sookie Stackhouse' and 'Harper Connelly' series from Charlaine Harris.
I am just addicted to these two series. Love them!

:o)

MsM

Kendra Leigh Castle said...

Morning, Jessica! Aww, thanks:-) I loved Devil in Winter too...watching the dastardly and delicious St. Vincent meet his match was wonderful. I hadn't liked the spinoff series about the Hathaways nearly as well until the last book, Tempt Me at Twilight...that book is AWESOME! I have King's book On Writing too, it's great. I have no idea how you keep track of so many authors! Good on you!

Morning MsM! LOL, I have a veterinarian friend who is completely addicted to the Sookie books now, and shockingly, he's male. Those books have some kind of magic powers, I think:-)

Jessica said...

One word Kendra, really two, Excel and a computer. it's the only way!

Katie Reus said...

I love that you picked Pride and Prejudice :) I've already had to pick my DIK books but I've read so many amazing books and new authors since then, I think I'm going to smuggle a few more in my suitcase ;)

Kendra Leigh Castle said...

LOL, Jessica, if only I were that organized...

Hi Katie! Oh, I know, right? I'm always finding new stuff...it's so hard to pick! I should have smuggled another suitcase of books:-)

Anonymous said...

I know you're really busy today Kendra, keeping track of a drunken pirate, soaking up some rays and chatting about great books, but I wanted you to know I've got an award for you over on my blog today.

:o)

MsM

Amanda said...

Morning Kendra!

I love the choices that you brought with you! P&P is one of my all time favs! I'm reading the Stand for the first time at the minute and totally loving it so I can so see why you'd want to bring it with you!
Thanks for the party last night!

Hope you have a great second day on the Island!

Kendra Leigh Castle said...

Well, it IS hard work relaxing this hard, ya know:-) Thanks for the award! And I love the list of boyfriends;-)

Morning Amanda! Yeah, the party was awesome! At least, from what I can remember, and the insane number of plastic cups scattered all over my poor tiki hut. Well, and my foggy memory of a keg stand or...three. Anyway, that's so cool that you're reading The Stand! It is, hands down, one of the best books I've ever read. M-O-O-N, that spells "best book ever," LOL (I'm assuming you've met Tom Cullen in the book!).

diva donna said...

Well I guess your first night on the Island wasn't uneventful. And It sound like you brought some great books along. Be careful that Captain Jack doesn't throw them into the fire if you don't give him the rum. And I'm really laughing thinking about how your big McInnis Men will react to Captain Jack Sparrow and his Adam Lambert Impersona? I do not think bringing those boys along was wise.
Just want you ladies to think about this: I seen a Video out on U-tube with Gerry Butler as Mr. Darcy. Tell Ms.M she needs to find it for you. So add Gerry to the Island group ladies. And then you'll have a fun party. Tell him he nmust wear a Kilt and go Commando. It's a Hot Island.
And remember, what happens on that Island tonight stays on the Island. But we want to hear about it tomorrow.

Lea said...

Hi Kendra!

Welcome back to the island. You have chosen awesome books for your DIK. P&P is a favorite for so many readers and authors.

Sounds like you have been enjoying a great time on your island getaway and I will look forward to another great post from you tomorrow.

Best
L

Kendra Leigh Castle said...

Donna, OMG HE PLAYED MR DARCY?? *dies*

Hi Lea! Thanks! Yes, P&P is one of the best romances EVAH:-) And I'm really enjoying the island!

Anonymous said...

No Kendra, to my knowledge Gerry Butler hasn't played Mr.Darcy. But someone took video clips from P&P and some clips from Gerry's movies and combined them to look like he is Mr.Darcy.
If you go to Youtube put "Gerry Butler Pride and Prejudice" in the search and it should come up.

:o)

MsM

Helyce said...

Hey Kendra, I finally found a moment to check in and see how you're surviving your time on the island. Clearly, you're doing just fine in spite of the rum being found. And, um, if Lucien needs any help with that black eye, I'd love to play doctor for a little while. Just tell him to fly on over! :)

Kendra Leigh Castle said...

Ah, I got it. Still, I'd like to check him...er, that...out. Thanks for the tip!

Hi Lisa! Yes, fortunately we thought to stash the rum in a few different places. MsM's right though...he's like a bloodhound. It's only a matter of time.

Cheryl Brooks said...

Hi Kendra!
I need to read P&P again. Watched the newest movie version recently and it cannot compare to the Colin Firth version. Sad, but true....

Cheryl
who is still blogging and blogging and, well, you get the idea....

Kendra Leigh Castle said...

Hi Cheryl! Well, I like the new movie version, but I love the Firth version beyond all reason. So I'm with you!! Ugh, thinking of you and all of those posts having to be written at once!

Copyright © 2008-2011 Desert Island Keepers All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP