Saturday, June 26, 2010

In which our heroine ponders silver screen adaptations

Recently, in conversation with my college roommate who is the only person I know who reads more than I do, I asked if she'd read TWILIGHT.

"No, but I've seen the movie."

Say what? When was the last time you saw a movie that wasn't a pale shadow of the book? While I admit having stood in line to see the midnight debuts of the first two Twilight movies, they sucked in comparison to the book. That kind of silly movie is only good watching with a packed audience of fans, who have all read the books and all cheer when a new character walks on screen. I would like to throttle people who haven't read the Harry Potter books, but have seen the movies. Although the movies are pretty good, they can't cover the sheer genius of the books.

Sometimes I think authors shouldn't let their books be desecrated by movies. Can a large paycheck really be worth seeing your art pulverized on the big screen? Anyone see "The Seeker," which was looooosely based on one of my favorite middle-grade novels, THE DARK IS RISING by Susan Cooper? Painful, even though it starred the delightful Ian "Swe'gen" McShane. "Matilda" the movie was a dud. "Where the Wild Things Are" was a complete failure. What can one expect from a picture book?

The Lord of the Rings trilogy seems an unusual exception, but I only read the first book and found it tedious (I was much younger). I will also admit, embarrassingly, that I have not read any Jane Austin, only seen the movies. I'm okay with that. Perhaps the key to enjoying these films is not having read the book first. "The Golden Compass" movie was enjoyable, but still not as rich as the book.

Awesome Sci-Fi Romance author Linnea Sinclair announced the other day on facebook that her novel, DOWN HOME ZOMBIE BLUES, has been optioned for film. Maybe she should insist on Peter Jackson for the job. Cassandra Clare's MORTAL INSTRUMENTS series, which I loved, has also been optioned.

Have you seen any movies based on books that you liked? Any that you hated? Any books you would like to see made into movies?

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I've got two fave authors who, OK Three fave authors who might transfer to film, depending on the director.

Lora Leigh-The Breed Series
Cheryl Brooks - The Cat Star Chronicles
Stephanie Laurens - The Bastion Club Series

Two fit Science Fiction definitions, the last, pure Love with Mystery mixed in for a good twist.

Jumping from page to film can be a disaster. Or very epic. A fan can only hope and pray!

Tracy said...

I've not read Jane Austen either - although I have 3 of her books on my ereader so maybe there's hope in the future! lol

Funny - we just watched Return of the King last night. I tried the books and just couldn't do it.

Nastassia said...

I've only read Emma, Pride and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice. I also read all the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter books. The books are 100% better than the movies. Sometimes I would watch a great movie and I'd wish it was based on a book , so I could go read the book .

Copyright © 2008-2011 Desert Island Keepers All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP