The men are getting ready to perform!
Thursday, December 31, 2009
The men are getting ready to perform!
Wednesday, December 30, 2009
Katie R - Jack Culver (Now You Die by Roxanne St. Claire) Acheron (Sherrilyn Kenyon's books), Matt Sanders (Pursuit by Elizabeth Jennings), John Medina (All the Queens Men by Linda Howard), Gideon Raintree (Raintree: Haunted by Linda Winstead Jones), Robert Kemble (Everything and the Moon by Julia Quinn), Douglas Kowalski (Midnight Angel by Lisa Marie Rice), Tyler “Bud” Morrison (Midnight Run by Lisa Marie Rice)
Wave - Colonel Simon Hollister (The Englor Affair), Detective Sean O'Brian (The Assignment), Hell (Heaven Sent 3), Jake Taggart (Bareback), Keiran Hareldson (The Draegan Lords), Prince Payton Townsend (The Englor Affair), Bones (Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series), Finn Barret (Lovers and Other Strangers by Josh Lanyon)
Aymless - Circenn Brodie (Highlander's Touch by Karen Marie Moning), Hari (Tiger Eye by Marjorie Lui), Jack Norton (Conspiracy Game by Christine Feehan), Vasic (Hostage to Pleasure by Nalini Singh), Wren Tigrian (Unleash the Night my Sherrilyn Kenyon), Kanaen ZaDarien/Kiri (TimeShadow Riders by Ann Maxwell), Rainier vel'En Daris aka Rain Tairen Soul (the Fading Lands series by CL Wilson ), Illium aka Blue Bell (Nalini Singh's Angels' Blood)
Naida - Edward Cullen (Twilight, Stephanie Meyers), Frederick Wentworth (Persuasion, Jane Austen), Aragorn aka Strider (Lord of the Rings trilogy, J.R.R. Tolkien), Tristen (Legends of the Fall, Jim Harrison), Mark Darcy (Bridget Jones Diary, Helen Fielding), Ian (The Host, Stephenie Meyer) Logan aka Wolverine (X Men), Captain Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Caribbean)
LesleyW - John Matthew aka Tehrror (Black Dagger Brotherhood series, JR Ward), Jeremy Danvers (Women of the Otherworld series, Kelly Armstrong), Curran (Magic Bites and Magic Burns, Ilona Andrews), Richard Tremayne High Lord of the Darkyn (Darkyn books, Lynn Viehl) Duncan Reever (Stardoc books by S.L. Viehl), Lucivar (the Dark Jewels books, Anne Bishop) Vayl (Jaz and Vayl series by Jennifer Rardin), Raphael (Raphael by D. B Reynolds)
Ciara - Ethan McCabe (Demon Night, Meljean Brook) Hugh Castleford (Demon Angel, Meljean Brook) Westley (The Princess Bride, William Goldman), Lord Robert Andreville (Robin) (Angel Rogue, Mary Jo Putney), Dr. Samuel Cornick (Mercy Thompson series, Patricia Briggs) Rupert Carsington (Mr. Impossible by Loretta Chase), Rhis Vanur (Finders Keepers by Linnea Sinclair)
Lisabea - Adrien English (Adrien English series, Josh Lanyon) Colin Ames Beaumont (Demon Moon, Meljean Brook), Nate (My Fair Captain, J.L. Langley), Savitri Murray (Demon Moon, Meljean Brook), Derek Knightly (At Love's Command, Samantha Kane), Jake Riordan (Adrien English series), Robin Hood (Russell Crowe version) (ballads starting back in the 15th century), Vishous (Lover Unbound by JR Ward)
Sula - Rhage (Black Dagger Brotherhood series, JR Ward) Asa McIntyre (Promises Linger by Sarah McCarty), Dain (Lord of Scoundrels, Loretta Chase), Ian Witherspoon (At Love's Command, Samantha Kane), Nathaniel Bonner (Into the Wilderness, Sara Donati), Keir of the Cat (Warprize, Elizabeth Vaughan), Captain Jack Harkness (Torchwood, Russell T. Davies/BBC) David Cooke (Happy Ending by LB Gregg)
Samantha Kane - Doyle/The Queen's Darkness (Merry Gentry Series, Laurell K. Hamilton) Cat, a young pirate (The Windflower, Laura London), Chief of Police Jack West (All U Can Eat, Emma Holly), Tom Paoletti (Unsung Hero, Suzanne Brockmann), Angel a.k.a. Angelis (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Angel Chronicles, Nancy Holder and or Angel: After the Fall, Brian Lynch and Franco Urru), Rhys (Merry Gentry series, Laurell K. Hamilton), Jack Reacher (Jack Reacher series, Lee Child)
Thea - Jamie Fraser (Outlander, Diana Gabaldon) Joscelin Verreuil (Kushiel's Legacy series, Jacqueline Carey), Batman! (some spin-off book by someone), Remy LeBeau a.k.a. Gambit (Uncanny X-Men, Chris Claremont), Roland Deschain (Dark Tower books, Stephen King), Tyler Durden (Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk) Sheftu (Mara: Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGraw), Bigby Wolf, (Bill Willingham's Fables)
Shannon - Sam Donovan (Mr. Perfect, Linda Howard) Sam Starrett (Troubleshooters series, Suzanne Brockmann), Max Baghat (Troubleshooter series, Suzanne Brockmann), Adam Hauptman (Mercedes Thompson series, Patricia Briggs), Captain Malcom Reynolds a.k.a. Capt. Tight Pants (Firefly/Serenity franchise & comics, Joss Whedon Stan Wolchonok (Over the Edge, Suzanne Brockmann) Wraith (Passion Unleashed by Larissa Ione), Charles Cornick (Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs)
Carolyn Jean - Eric Northman (Sookie Stackhouse series, Charlaine Harris),
Joe Morelli (Stephanie Plum, Janet Evanovich), Ranger (Stephanie Plum, Janet Evanovich), Michael (Guardian Series, Meljean Brook), Adrian (The Spymaster's Lady, Joanna Bourne), Captain Kirk (Star Trek) Jason Andrews (Just the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie James), Nicholas Brisbane (Deanna Raybourn's Silent in the Grave)
Kati - Roarke (In Death series, JD Robb) Lucas Hunter (Slave to Sensation, Nalini Singh), Maximillian Pesaro,( Gardella Chronicles, Colleen Gleason), Cameron Quinn (Sea Swept, Nora Roberts), , Captain Jack Seward (All Through The Night, Connie Brockway), Hawke (Psy/Changeling series, Nalini Singh) Jefferson Wyatt Bloodsworth (Linda Howard's To Die For and Drop Dead Gorgeous), Alec Cain (SJ Day's Marked series)
Sarah - Clay (Women of the Otherworld series, Kelley Armstrong), Nathaniel (Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Series), Lucas (Heaven Sent Series, Jet Mykels), Jericho Barrons (Fever Series, Karen Marie Monings), Katou Youji (Haru wo Daiteita/Embracing Love, Nitta Youka), Taylor MacAllister (Dangerous Ground, Josh Lanyon, Hot Tub, Splish Splash) Belimai Sykes (Wicked Gentlemen by Ginn Hale), Jake Romero (With Caution by JL Langley)
Sarai - Gage Travis (Sugar Daddy, Lisa Kleypas), Vaughn D'Angelo (Visions of Heat, Nalini Singh), Zarek of Moesia (Dance with the Devil, Sherrilyn Kenyon), Jonas (Breed Series, Lora Leigh), Sterling "Harvard" Chase (Kiss of Crimson, Lara Adrian)Cam Rohan (Mine Til Midnight, Lisa Kleypas) Clay Bennett (Mine to Possess by Nalini Singh), Harry Dresdan (Jim Butcher's series)
Bridget Locke - Mr. Jules Cassidy (All Through the Night, Suzanne Brockmann), , Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy (Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen), Judd Laurens (Caressed by Ice, Nalini Singh), Simon Hunt (Secrets of a Summer's Night, Lisa Kleypas), Theodore Westgaard (Years, LaVyrle Spencer), Cadeon Woede (Dark Desires after Dusk, Kresley Cole) William Jackson (Breaking the Silence by Katie Allen), Jace McKenna (To Tempt A Wolf by Kate Steele)
Ana - Sebastian St. Vincent (Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas), Kvothe (The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss), Jake Hawkins (Demon Bound by Meljean Brook) Ana's hero-->
JenB - Vane Kattalakis (Night Play, Sherrilyn Kenyon) Angel (Angel, Johanna Lindsey) Rule, (The Demon You Know, Christine Warren), Kade (Riley Jenson Guardian series, Keri Arthur), Challen (Warrior's Woman, Johanna Lindsey), Calvin Morissey (Bet Me, Jennifer Crusie), Wynn Collier (Nailed by Amie Stuart), Callum (Laird of the Mist by Paula Quinn)
KristieJ - Derek Craven (Dreaming of You, Lisa Kleypas) Dax Silverbrake (Sky Pirate, Justine Davis) Branden Kel-Paten (Games of Command, Linnea Sinclair), Gray Rouillard (After the Night, Linda Howard), Wizard (Driven, Eve Kenin), John Thornton (North and South, Elizabeth Gaskell) Ian Mackenzie (The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley), Gabriel(Broken Wing by Judith James)
Tracy - Zsadist (Black Dagger Brotherhood series, JR Ward), Phineas Tucker (Welcome to Temptation, Jennifer Crusie), Dorian (Psy/Changeling Series, Nalini Singh), Wrath (Dark Lover, BDB series by JR Ward), Caine Allen (Caine's Reckoning, Sarah McCarty) Daemon Sadi (Black Jewels Trilogy, Anne Bishop) Callahan O'Shea (Too Good To Be True by Kristan Higgins), Jack Travis (Smooth Talking Stranger by Lisa Kleypas)
Katie(babs) - Alexander (The Bronze Horseman, Paullina Simons) Rehvenge (Black Dagger Brotherhood series, JR Ward), James Diaz (Cry No More, Linda Howard) Gabriel "Sully" Sullivan (Gabriel's Ghost, Linnea Sinclair), Jack Prescott (Dangerous Lover, Lisa Marie Rice), Sherlock Holmes (multiple Sherlock Holmes novels and short stories, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle), Alejandro (Demon Forged by Meljean Brook), Lieutenant Howard “Six- Pack” Paxton (Trial by Fire by Jo Davis ),
Kim - Reaver (Larissa Ione's Demonica Series), Raphael (Nalini Singh's Angel's Blood, Sir Kenric of Montague/Warlord, Lucas Davenport (the Prey series of books by John Sandford), Maddox (The Darkest Kiss by Gena Showalter), Rydstrom (IAD series by Kresley Cole), Cougar McKinley (Promises Keep by Sarah McCarty), Drake Vireo (the Aisling Grey series by Katie MacAlister)
Alice - Riley (Psy/Changeling series), Roland (Dirk/Steele series by Marjorie M. Liu), Devon (Somewhere my Love by Karen Fox), Momo/Goda Takeshi (Kimi Wa Petto), Marc (Craving Beauty by Nalini Singh), Grant Morgan/Nick Gentry (the Bow Street Runners by Lisa Kleypas)
Jenre –Victor Bayne (Psycop series by Jordan Castillo Price),Wulfric Bedwyn (Slightly Dangerous by Mary Balogh), James Bond (from various books by Ian Fleming), Matthew Hawkwood (Hawkwood series by James McGee), Jack Devlin (Suddenly You by Lisa Kleypas), Mark Hardwicke (I Spy Something Bloody by Josh Lanyon), Wild Bill (The Channelling Morpheus/Sweet Oblivion books by Jordan Castillo Price), Ridley (Utopia X series by KZ Snow)
Kris –Sebastian (Landscapes of Ephemera books by Anne Bishop), Valek (Study series by Maria V. Snyder's), John Chen (Dark Heavens series by Kylie Chan), Dalziel, Royce Varisey, 10th Duke of Wolverstone (Bastion Club series by Stephanie Lauren), Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Beebop by Yutaka Nanten), DEATH (Discworld series by Terry Pratchett), Hercule Poirot (Hercule Poirot novels by Agatha Christie), Sam Vimes (Discworld by Terry Pratchett)
Renee –Lord John Grey (Outlander & Lord John series by Diana Gabaldon), Devil Cynster (Devil’s Bride by Stephanie Laurens), Xia (My Forbidden Desire by Carolyn Jewel), Jasper Renshaw, Viscount Vale (To Seduce a Sinner by Elizabeth Hoyt), Ben Fortune (Crash Into Me by Jill Sorenson), Elec Munroe (Flat Out Sexy by Erin McCarthy), René Dubois (Islands by Samantha Kane), Janvier (Angels’ Pawn by Nalini Singh)
Amanda –Daegus MacKelter (Dark Highlander by Karen Marie Moning), Alex Knight (The Seduction of His Wife Janet Chapman), Ian McCullough (Highland Guardian by Melissa Mayhue), Hawk (Beyond The Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning), Mr. Knightley (Emma by Jane Austen), Carter Maguire (Vision in White by Nora Roberts), Richard Cypher (Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkinds), Roger MacKenzie (Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon)
Ms. Moonlight – Zane MacKenzie (MacKenzies Pleasure by Linda Howard), Warrick deChaville (Prisoner of my Desire by Johanna Lindsey), Royce of Wyndhurst (Hearts Aflame by Johanna Lindsey), Jamie Grahm (The Lion in Glory by Shannon Drake), Lord Ware (Lion's Bride by Iris Johansen), Nicolas Eden (Love Only Once by Johanna Lindsey), Warren Anderson (The Magic of You by Johanna Lindsey), Lt. John Dunbar (Dances With Wolves by Michael Blake)
Lea - Eidolon (Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione), Vic Savian (Wicked Burn by Beth Kery), Shane Dominic (Sweet Restraint by Beth Kery), Devereux (The Vampire Shrink by Lynda Hilburn), Nicholai Hel (Shubumi by Trevanian), Mitch Magruder (Unraveled by Jaci Burton), Rupert Campbell Black (Rider and Rivals by Jilly Cooper), Iollan Drake (Embracing Midnight by Devyn Quinn)
WOW what a great bunch of heroes we have on da island!
Thank you ladies for your wonderful choices!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tuesday, December 29, 2009
* The Man Must Marry by Janet Chapman
* Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati
* Mists of Avalon Marion Zimmer Bradley
* Beyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning
* Dark Highlander by Karen Marie Moning
* Sebastian by Anne Bishop
* Bed of Roses by Nora Roberts
* The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
* Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase
* The Sandman, Volume 9 The Kindly Ones by Neil Gaiman
* The Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama
* Harry Potter and the Deadly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
* Lady of Light and Shadows by C.L. Wilson
* Demon Forged by Meljean Brook
* Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop
* The Princess Bride by William Goldman
* Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (unabridged of course)
* Mine to Possess by Nalini Singh
* The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien (in Omnibus Edition)
* Warlord by Elizabeth Vaughan
* Darkness Calls by Marjorie M. Liu
* All Through the Night by Suzanne Brockmann
* Goddess of the Rose by P.C. Cast
* The Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey
* Secrets of a Summer's Night by Lisa Kleypas
* Caressed by Ice by Nalini Singh
* Years by LaVyrle Spencer
* Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead
* Demon Night by Meljean Brook
* Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey
* Middlemarch by George Eliot
* The Killing Dance by Laurell K. Hamilton
* Dead to the World by Charlain Harris
* House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
* Bound by Your touch by Meredith Duran
* You Slay Me by Katie MacAlister
* Watership Down by Richard Adams
* Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews
* The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle
* This Heart of Mine by Susan Elizabeth Philips
* The Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia Quinn
* Magic Strikes by Ilona Andrews
* Camp Hell Jordan Castillo Price
* Collision Course by KA Mitchell
* The secret Pearl by Mary Balogh
* To Sir Phillip With Love by Julia Quinn
* I Spy Something Bloody by Josh Lanyon
* A Strong and Sudden Thaw by RW Day
* Tigers and Devils by Sean Kennedy
* Adrien English Mysteries by Josh Lanyon
* Heaven Sent series by Jet Mykles
* Soul Mates: Secrets by Jourdan Lane
* The Assignment by Evangeline Anderson
* The Draegan Lords by M.L.Rhodes
* The Englor Affair by J.L. Langley
* Slightly Dangerous by Mary Balogh
* The Windflower by Tom and Sharon Curtis
* Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught
* Sea Swept by Nora Roberts
* Visions of Heat by Nalini Singh
* Warprize by Elizabeth Vaughan
* Smooth Talking Stranger by Lisa Kleypas
* Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
* Demon Angel by Meljean Brook
* Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
* The Stand by Stephen King
* Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons
* Once and Future King by T.H. White
* Soulless by Gail Carriger
* Pursuit by Elizabeth Jennings
* All the Queens Men by Linda Howard
* Raintree: Haunted by Linda Winstead Jones
* Midnight Angel by Lisa Marie Rice
* Midnight Run by Lisa Marie Rice
* Everything and the Moon by Julia Quinn
* Sins of the Flesh by Caridad Pineiro
* The Last Hellion by Loretta Chase
* Honor's Slendour by Julie Garwood
* The Secret by Julie Garwood
* Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas
* Hearts Aflame by Johanna Lindsey
* The Darkest Night by Gena Showalter
* Tempt Me At Twilight by Lisa Kleypas
* Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
* Riddle Master by Patricia A. McKillip
* Hero by Perry Moore
* Rough Canvas by Joey W. Hill
* Origin in Death by JD Robb
* Caught Running by Madeleine Urban & Abigail Roux
* Angel's Evolution by T.A. Chase
* Ride the Fire by Pamela Clare
* After the Night by Linda Howard
* Driven by Eve Kenin
* Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas
* Whispers of Heaven by Candice Proctor
* One Summer by Karen Robards
* The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie by Jennifer Ashley
* Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione
* Wicked Burn by Beth Kery
* Shubumi by Trevanian
* Rivals by Jilly Cooper
* The Love Poems and Sonnets of William Shakespeare
* The Vampire Shrink by Lynda Hilburn
* Hard to Hold by Stephanie Tyler
* The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey niffenegger
* A Crack in Forever by Jeannie Brewer
* A Civil Campaign by Lois McMaster Bujold
* Bitten by Kelley Armstrong
* The Complete Ivory by Doris Egan
* The Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare
* Mind Fuck by Manna Francis
* Breaking Point by Suzanne Brockmann
* Demon Moon by Meljean Brook
* Welcome to Temptation by Jennifer Cruise
* My Fair Captain by J.L. Langley
* The Hell You Say by Josh Lanyon
* Lover Awakened by J.R. Ward
* The Dark Tide by Josh Lanyon
* The Winton Brothers by Lori Foster
* Worth Any Price by Lisa Kleypas
* The Twelve Kingdoms by Fuyumi Ono
* Lesson in Seduction by Melissa Schroeder
* Tiger Eye by Marjorie M. Liu
* Craving Beauty by Nalini Singh
* Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh
* Prisoner of My Desire by Johanna Lindsey
* Soul Deep by Lora Leigh
* A Hunger Like No Other by Kresley Cole
* The Fulfillment by LaVyrle Spencer
* The Wolf and the Dove by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss.
* Open Season by Linda Howard
* Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles
* Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
* Entangled by Kathleen Dante
* Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding
* Coraline by Neil Gaiman
* Odd Thomas by Deen Koontz
* Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
* Frederica by Georgette Heyer
* Persuasion by Jane Austen
* Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler
* Sugar Daddy by Lisa Kleypas
* To Seduce A Sinner by Elizabeth Hoyt
* Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs
* Islands by Samantha Kane
* Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
* Dream Man by Linda Howard
* Gobsmacked by L.B. Gregg
* The Englor Affair by J.L. Langley
* The Tin Star by J.L. Langley
* The Leashed Series by Jet Mykles
* Dream a Little Dream by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
* Black Wade - The Wild Side of Love by Franze and Andarle
* Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews
* The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly
* Dance with the Devil by Sherrilyn Kenyon
* Fatal Shadows by Josh Lanyon
* The Duke and I by Julia Quinn
* Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh
* Turn Coat by Jim Butcher
* Moon Called by Patricia Briggs
* Over the Edge by Suzanne Brockmann
* Mr. Perfect by Linda Howard
* The Bride and the Beast by Teresa Medeiors
* Sabriel by Garth Nix
* Harry Potter and the Prisioner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
* Lady Sophia's Lover by Lisa Kleypas
* The Duke by Gaelen Foley
* Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
* The Serpent Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt
* By Arrangement by Madeline Hunter
* Caine's Reckoning by Sarah McCarty
* Lover Eternal by J.R. Ward
* Happy Ending by L.B. Gregg
* Young Miles by Lois McMaster Bujold
* For a Few Demons More by Kim Harrison
* The Waste Lands (Dark Tower, Book 3) by Stephen King
* Mara: Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGraw
* Hyperion by Dan Simmons
* Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons
* Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer
* Heir to Shadows by Anne Bishop
* Queen of the Darkness by Anne Bishop
* Winterbourne by Susan Carroll
* Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night by Kresley Cole
* Death of A Pirate King by Josh Lanyon
* Dark Lover by JR Ward
* Almost Like Being in Love by Steve Kluger
If you have any additonal suggestions please let us know!
Monday, December 28, 2009
K Z Snow
Kendra Leigh Castle
Liane Gentry Skye
Z A Maxfield
T A Chase
D B Reynolds
Monday, December 21, 2009
Knowing this we’ve decided to hold the 2010 DIK Book Reading Challenge. The Challenge? Each month you will pick one of the 188 books that the DIK Ladies have brought to the island, read it, review it on your blog and then show us the link. It's simple and we think it will be a ton of fun!
Do you have to be a DIK lady to do the challenge? Nope. If you are a DIK lady are you required to do the challenge? Nope.
1. Pick one book from the DIK book list to read and review.
2. Book reviews can be posted any day during the last week of each month.
3. Link back to the blog when you do a DIK Book Reading Challenge (we'll do a sticky post). If you don’t link to us we won’t know that you’ve posted a review! :)
4. Please clearly state in the title of your post that the review you are posting is for the DIK Book Reading Challenge.
At the end of the year the participants that have posted reviews for all 12 months will be put in one big pot and we will draw a name to win a $50 gift certificate from Amazon/Borders/Barnes and Noble/Books A Million (really it's your choice which place you want the certificate from as long as we can purchase it from our computer!)
That’s it! Simple right? Yeah that’s what we thought so sign up and let's get this started… speaking of starting it will begin on January 1st! Now excuse us while we go figure out which books to pick *wink*
If you'd like to join please leave a comment with your name and a link to your blog.
Don't forget to pick up our beautiful Challenge button (made by our very own Lea, thank you Lea!) to put on your sidebar.
Saturday, December 19, 2009
Friday, December 18, 2009
I've been in such a state of anticipation for Dark Tide, Adrien English Mysteries book 5,which will be out on Tuesday, Dec. 22 (the day after my birthday!) I've been re-reading the entire series to get ready for its release, and loving every minute of it. However, even though that has been my high point for book releases this month, there are also lots of books to be released in 2010 that I'm really excited about.
Here are 10 that I'm looking forward to:
- late January/early February 2010: In and Out (Men of Smithfield series, book 4) by LB Gregg (Aspen Mountain Press)
- February 2, 2010: Archangel’s Kiss (Guild Hunter series, book 2) by Nalini Singh. Scroll down linked page for an excerpt.
- March 23, 2010: Mind Games by Carolyn Crane
March 30, 2010: Changeless (The Parasol Protectorate, book 2) by Gail Carriger.
This new series was such a breath of fresh air. I love the uf/steampunk sensibility and the sense of humor I found in book 1, Soulless. Weres, vamps, and dirigibles. Gotta love it! Hoping for more fun in book 2.
March 30, 2010: Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson series, book 5) by Patricia Briggs
Summer 2010: Married by Morning (Hathaways series, book 4) by Lisa Kleypas
- June 8, 2010: Dragonsoul (Havemercy series, book 3) by Jaida Jones & Danielle Bennett
June 22, 2010: Last Night’s Scandal by Loretta Chase
Fall 2010: Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls series, book 2) by Maggie Stiefvater
October 2010: Bespelling Jane (An anthology of four paranormal tales based on Jane Austen novels, including novellas by Colleen Gleason & Mary Balogh.)
This is (possibly?) the final book in the Smithfield series. It's been such a fun series, and I've really enjoyed how it's evolved. The guys in Smithfield are all smart and funny, though my heart will always belong to David (Happy Ending).
When I read book 1 in the series, Angels' Blood, I was blown away by the completely original world building and the compelling characters. I'm really looking forward to seeing where she's going to take Elena and Raphael in Archangel's Kiss, especially after the events of book 1.
The Thrillionth Page was one of the first blogs that I stalked, um I mean, followed. Carolyn's sometimes off-kilter sense of humor is one I enjoy immensely, and she's become a person I go to when I get my own crazy book connections. I can't wait for her first book, which sounds like it will be a fun ride.
I've been reading this series since book 1, Moon Called, was released, and have eagerly anticipated each subsequent release. This series continues to be one of my favorites, mostly because Patricia Briggs has been so true to her characters and really allowed them to grow.
This is the series that brought me back to reading historicals after more than 10 years. Beatrix's story should be lots of fun, and I'm sure I'll enjoy catching up with the Hathaways.
This series was an unexpected find for me, and as much as I enjoyed book 1, Havemercy, book 2, Shadow Dragon was even better. It's hard not to have even higher hopes for Dragonsoul.
After reading Lord of Soundrels earlier this year, Loretta Chase has become an auto-buy for me. I love her smart, convention-thwarting stories.
In a year of a lot of great YA reading, book 1, Shiver was a standout. I'm really curious to see where Maggie Stiefvater is going to take Grace and the wolves of Mercy Falls in Linger.
Do I even need to explain why I can't wait to read this one? Seriously, I'm not a big fan of Austen pastiche, but I'm confident that writers Colleen Gleason and Mary Balogh will make this book something to watch out for.
What are you looking forward to in 2010?
Thursday, December 17, 2009
However, something that transcends these differences between are heroes are the type of heroes they are. A few weeks ago, I posted over at my place, Renee's Book Addiction about a couple of my favorite hero types, the Misfit and the Smart Ass. Since writing that post, I've been thinking a lot about the kinds of heroes that I enjoy reading about.
Here are a few more hero types that I really love:
The Smart Ass
The Smart Ass hero is another independent type. He has loads of confidence and a strong independent streak.
He usually has a sense of humor (though not always appropriate). Often, he gets the best lines, using everyone around them as the straight man. And, he's typically extremely intelligent. (Brains=Sexy.) Usually, their mouth gets ahead of their better judgment (or they ignore it all-together) and they wind up in situations that are so fun to read about!
One of my favorite scenes with a smart ass hero, is in Natural Born Charmer, when Dean first meets Blue as she's walking down a rural road in a beaver costume. Their dialog, their separate internal monologues, and the circumstances make up one of my favorite scenes in a book.
Some of my favorite Smart Ass Heroes: Izzy Zanella (Troubleshooters series by Suzanne Brockmann); Harry Dresden (The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher); Dean Robillard (Natural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips); Cal Leandros (pictured on right) (Cal Leandros series by Rob Thurman).
The Tortured Hero
This is a man who has been through hell and back. He has darkness in his soul and needs the love of a good woman or man to heal him. One thing I love about a tortured hero is that if his story is done well, there is lots of character growth as he opens up to his significant other. One of my favorite tortured hero scenes is in To Seduce a Sinner when it's revealed what Vale, who was tortured while a prisoner of war, needs to do to feel safe when he sleeps at night. My heart hurt when I read that scene.
Some of my favorite Tortured Heroes: Zadist (Black Dagger Brotherhood by JR Ward); Lord Ian Mackenzie (The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley); Viscount Vale (To Seduce a Sinner by Elizabeth Hoyt); Belimai Sykes (Wicked Gentlemen by Ginn Hale).
The Guy Next Door/Caretaker
Originally when I started writing this post, this was 2 separate hero types. But, they had so many qualities in common, I just had to bring them together. These are the guys that you can bring home to mom. The ones that you go to when you get into a jam or need a shoulder to lean on. Yet, they are never boring, and usually someone you would want to hang out with on a Saturday night (watching a DVD and eating popcorn).
Right now, I'm re-reading the Adrien English Mysteries (getting ready for Dark Tide!), and one thing I'm noticing is how people are drawn to Adrien. For all his drama with Jake and assorted murders, he is the port in the storm for his sister, for Claude, and for Angus.
Some of my favorite Guys Next Door/Caretakers: Adrien English (pictured on right) (Adrien English Mysteries by Josh Lanyon); Cam Rohan (Mine Till Midnight by Lisa Kleypas); Jeremy Danvers (Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong); Lord John Grey (Outlander & Lord John series by Diana Gabaldon), Devil Cynster (Devil’s Bride by Stephanie Laurens); David Cooke (Happy Ending by LB Gregg).
The Reformed Rake
This is an old favorite of mine. Some of the first romances I read were Regencies (Barbara Cartland, anyone?) where rakes were thick on the ground. I love reading about a jaded, cynical hero is slowly transformed by their love, and allows himself to be vulnerable. Also, there is usually a great grovel when the hero realizes the error of his ways.
In Scandal, Banallt has already reformed when the book opens. Seeing how he struggles to convince Sophie that he has truly changed (and is not just trying to get her into bed) makes for such compelling reading.
Some of my favorite Reformed Rakes: St Vincent (Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas); James Durham, Viscount Sanburne (Bound by Your Touch by Meredith Duran); Banallt (Scandal by Carolyn Jewel); Dain (Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase).
I have a total soft-spot for the misfit hero. A few reasons I love them? They walk their own path, regardless of what everyone else is doing or expecting of them. They’re usually loners, which makes their connection with their significant other really meaningful. And, what often sets them apart is that their intelligence. (Again, Brains=Sexy in my book.)
My favorite recent misfit revelation was in Men of the Otherworld. I LOVED hearing Clay's voice in this anthology. After his being in so many previous Otherworld books, it was great to really "get" why he is so out of step with everyone around him, including the other members of his pack.
Some of my favorite Misfit Heroes: Dave Malkoff (Troubleshooters series by Suzanne Brockmann); Wildcard Karmody (Troubleshooters series by Suzanne Brockmann); Clay Danvers (Men of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong); Victor Bayne (pictured on right) (PsyCop series by Jordan Castillo Price).
A man of mystery, I'm typically turning the pages as fast as I can to discover what I can about this guy. His past tends to be murky, and sometimes discovering what he is is (Jericho, Dante) part of the mystery. Usually, his motives are questionable, and it's not always clear whether his actions are in the significant other's best interests. When he gets close to his love interest, he must reveal parts of himself that he never allows anyone to see.
In Zero at the Bone, D opens himself to Dr Jack, and small acts which most people would take for granted, are monumental acts of bravery for D. These scenes are so emotionally charged and fraught with significance, that I had a lump in my throat when I read them.
Some of my favorite Enigmas: Jericho Z Barrons (Fever series by Karen Marie Moning); Dante (The Maker's Song series by Adrian Phoenix); Jack Winter (Black London series by Caitlin Kittredge); Jack (Nadia Stafford series by Kelley Armstrong), D (pictured on right) (Zero at the Bone by Jane Seville).
Well, these are some of my favorite hero types. I deliberately avoided the Alpha and Beta (and, even Gamma) hero in this discussion, because any of these individual heroes can be an alpha or a beta hero. For example, both Zadist and Lord Ian are tortured heroes, but their individual personalities (and how they've reacted to their respective abusive experiences) are extremely different.
What are some of your favorite hero types?